I noticed after having my black z10 for a month that when I pick up the White it feels lighter. Is this just me?

Posted via Naked BlackBerry Z10
    05-05-13 11:40 PM

Posted via Naked BlackBerry Z10
    05-06-13 12:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:16 AM
    It's just you

Posted via CB10
    louboutins likes this.
    05-06-13 12:16 AM
    I think the white one may actually be a little lighter. It's because the molecules in the white dye are spaced further apart than the black, causing the white housing to be slightly less dense. Since it occupies the same amount of volume, less density makes it less massive, therefore it feels lighter because it actually is...

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:24 AM
    Actually OP could be right since the back casing of the white vs black Z10 are different. Though the difference is likely fractions of a gram. It's more likely psychological or perhaps one of the phones you are holding has a different protective case.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:50 AM
    I have to agree that the white Z10 'feels' lighter. I picked up my Black Z10, and my wife's white Z10 the other day and it really did feel lighter.

This leads me to believe it's one of the following:

1) Maybe the material used for the white device IS actually lighter.
    2) Maybe it's completely perception based, and the firmer (not rubbery) white back tricks the brain into thinking the device is lighter.
    3) A combination of the above.
    05-06-13 01:47 AM
    What the sh!t.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:20 AM
    There is a slight difference between the white and black Z10.

The speakers are slight out place. And the thickness close to the screen is slightly different

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:26 AM
    And no dye in the white one! Will save 0.00000001 gram

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:01 AM
    Most likely a purely psychological effect, akin to an optical illusion. ; )

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    05-06-13 03:09 AM
    Are the back case material different?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:42 AM
    Most likely the same weight, all in your head

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 04:46 AM
    Get a sensitive scale and weigh them no need to speculate.

Also the more apps you have the more mass the phone gets did you know that. It all depends on how big the file download size is.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 08:10 AM
    Ive picked both of them up and I can't seem to feel a difference.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-06-13 08:25 AM
    And if you have lots of heavy metal music on the phone it will be heavier!

Posted via CB10
    Andrew4life likes this.
    05-06-13 08:42 AM
    And also the air density in the phones will be different due to temperature differentials caused by the black and white cases. In fact the black should be lighter due to the air inside a black Z10 been warmer as opposed to the cooler air in a white Z10, so this should mean that not only will a black Z10 be lighter, but it will also float like a Zeppelin. ; )

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    05-06-13 09:08 AM
    So I grabbed the two Z10's last night - one white, one black. Both have Micro SD cards inserted, SIM cards, identical in every way. Placed them on my digital kitchen scales and swapped and re-tested 5 or 6 times.

Each time, the results were:

Z10 Black: 139 grams
    Z10 White: 137 grams

I retested with different orientations of the devices on the scales and results varied by a gram or two at times, but consistently the Black Z10 was between 1 and 3 grams heavier than the white. I tested and re-tested multiple times to ensure there was no error.

So I can confirm (from my findings) there is definitely a physical weight difference between the devices, although minimal.

I also believe that the harder back cover of the white Z10 adds to the Psychological effect. It's colder, harder, more 'crisp' design probably gives more energy return to inquisitive fingers trying to perceive the weight of the device - whereas the black Z10's warmer, duller, soft feel gives the illusion of a slightly damper, heavier phone.

It's my hypothesis that this perceived lightness amplifies the actual difference in weight (which I have verified with my trusty kitchen scales) and indeed makes the device feel even lighter than it actually is.

So just to confirm - from my measurements, the Z10 white IS actually lighter - but I also believe the crisp back cover makes it also 'feel' even lighter than the 1-3 grams difference.

So there you go! Feel free to verify my findings - would love someone with scientifically calibrated scales to also verify the weight difference
    ihys likes this.
    05-06-13 06:10 PM
    Well theoretically they do not weigh the same.

1) every single part will never be an exact replica of another. They will vary in weight at like the sub atomic molecular level (not sure if that makes sense lol)

2) the white one uses a different material for the battery cover. This is the most obvious difference, and so it must cause a difference in weight between the two.

3) whay about differently branded micro sd cards? Maybe even sim cards from different carriers may be just slightly different in weight. Could this be the reason for the difference in 2 grams between the z10's in the post above me? 2 grams still seems like a lot though so it can't just be the sim or sd card.

But for real, even though all the above is true, I still think it's just you because I dont think think we'd be able to feel it . But I may be wrong, as I've never held the two at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 06:52 PM
    So I grabbed the two Z10's last night - one white, one black. Both have Micro SD cards inserted, SIM cards, identical in every way. Placed them on my digital kitchen scales and swapped and re-tested 5 or 6 times.

Each time, the results were:

Z10 Black: 139 grams
    Z10 White: 137 grams

I retested with different orientations of the devices on the scales and results varied by a gram or two at times, but consistently the Black Z10 was between 1 and 3 grams heavier than the white. I tested and re-tested multiple times to ensure there was no error.

So I can confirm (from my findings) there is definitely a physical weight difference between the devices, although minimal.

I also believe that the harder back cover of the white Z10 adds to the Psychological effect. It's colder, harder, more 'crisp' design probably gives more energy return to inquisitive fingers trying to perceive the weight of the device - whereas the black Z10's warmer, duller, soft feel gives the illusion of a slightly damper, heavier phone.

It's my hypothesis that this perceived lightness amplifies the actual difference in weight (which I have verified with my trusty kitchen scales) and indeed makes the device feel even lighter than it actually is.

So just to confirm - from my measurements, the Z10 white IS actually lighter - but I also believe the crisp back cover makes it also 'feel' even lighter than the 1-3 grams difference.

So there you go! Feel free to verify my findings - would love someone with scientifically calibrated scales to also verify the weight difference
    We need a larger sample size. I just weighed a black one with a Mettler lab scale and came up with 136.23674 grams. I'd assume my lab scale is slightly more accurate than a kitchen scale though. Wish I had a white one here to compare with.
    05-06-13 07:56 PM
    We need a larger sample size. I just weighed a black one with a Mettler lab scale and came up with 136.23674 grams. I'd assume my lab scale is slightly more accurate than a kitchen scale though. Wish I had a white one here to compare with.
    Unfortunately, we don't all have access to super expensive lab scales. Ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 07:41 AM
    today when hand on my friend's z10, i realized that my z10 is lighter than hers. Although both of us are Stl100-1 white, and the only different is i bought my z10 before she did 2 month ago. Why????
    06-05-14 08:23 AM
    today when hand on my friend's z10, i realized that my z10 is lighter than hers. Although both of us are Stl100-1 white, and the only different is i bought my z10 before she did 2 month ago. Why????
    She has more important stuff on her phone. And..probably more data on her SD card. That can get pretty heavy. Simple answer there.
    Last edited by LoneStarRed; 06-05-14 at 01:16 PM.
    06-05-14 08:46 AM