It's not just about 'big apps'. With all the talk about massive dev support and coming out with 70k apps at launch, the lack of any decent variety when it comes to some basics like Twitter apps is astounding.
    All this talk about Skype and Instagram yet the BB team couldn't get BlackBerry mainstay Ubersocial to code a BB10 app. That's lazy. There's a reason the main twitter app has very dire reviews in BlackBerry world.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    I am less ambitious. Let's cover everything first and then worry about variety.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:33 AM
    You've lowered your expectations.. All that hype and no delivery...
    02-18-13 08:35 AM
    Where do you "blame" those developers who do not build BBRY apps? Skype, owned by Microsoft, is a case in point. Do you really believe MS is going to or have any interest in developing one native for BBRY? Get used to ported apps, especially the ones on other platforms already used by the masses.

As an aside, you could also email the companies/developers with apps you would like to see on the BBRY and encourage them to build them. It is way too easy to sit somewhere and complain about things that BBRY has no control over.
    Your point is both accurate and irrelevant. From what I can tell, BlackBerry has done all it can do support developers in an effort to bring all of the "big apps" to BB10 devices. It is, as you point out, the developers who decide if an app will be available. But in the end, it is irrelevant because consumers could care less who is to blame when an app they want is not available.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-18-13 09:23 AM
    Good thing the app developers that eventually built Apple's App Store to 700,000+ apps didn't think that way the day the iPhone was introduced.
    They cared because iphone sales made them care. In the end they code for money. You have good income - you care about the thing. If you can't make a buck, no one would ever bother.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:38 AM
    It confuses me that everyone mentions youtube and some of these other things which there are WEBSITES for. You have an amazing browser, use it. It's a decent enough solution until the devs can get apps.
    Why are people so lazy that they need an app, when all they have to do is add a bookmark to the homescreen.
    Never used instagram, but guess what they have a website for that to! There is a website for twitter too!
    I swear society as a whole is becoming more and more ******** and incapable with each new generation. Sometimes i wonder where we have ended up....
    Don't be daft. It's much more convenient using a dedicated twitter app/client than using the website on a mobile device. You cannot upload images from the Instagram website.
    I find it easier and more convenient to use an app for YouTube most times.

Why don't you go ahead and use your Web browser for email, then? Since we've established that you belong to the old, and 'tough' generation.

Not surprised you'd be confused by my personal choices which are echoes by millions of consumers that download these apps. It's unimaginative dinosaurs like you that put this once proud company in the straits it find itself.

Rubbish

JeepBB, Rello, mikeo007 and 2 others like this.
    02-18-13 09:54 AM
    Don't be daft. It's much more convenient using a dedicated twitter app/client than using the website on a mobile device. You cannot upload images from the Instagram website.
    I find it easier and more convenient to use an app for YouTube most times.

Why don't you go ahead and use your Web browser for email, then? Since we've established that you belong to the old, and 'tough' generation.

Not surprised you'd be confused by my personal choices which are echoes by millions of consumers that download these apps. It's unimaginative dinosaurs like you that put this once proud company in the straits it find itself.

Rubbish

+100

And then who cares about good podcast app, rss reader and even games - got to browser and do your email, podcast listening and play flash games.

LMAO

You are right

Some fans have mushed potatoes as sub for the brains. Does as good as browser for all the apps we miss.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    02-18-13 10:26 AM
    Here's a suggestion for this discussion. Why don't you put it on hold until the US launch.

BlackBerry has stated that it is aiming to have the top Regional apps when it launches in each region. Many of the ones discussed here as 'major, must have' apps are in fact US apps. Because they are 'major' to the US market does not make them major to all markets. Sure, some of the apps discussed here have international interest but most of the others do not. I am not trying to bait anyone here. I am not one of the people who think because it hasn�t been released in the US that therefore the launch hasn't happened yet. That is arrogance. So is the belief that missing regional apps need to be available now even though devices are not for sale to the general public in that region. Why not put the discussion on hold until the US launch to see what's there and what's not.
    Last edited by alan510; 02-18-13 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    02-18-13 10:35 AM
    Here's a suggestion for this discussion. Why don't you put it on hold until the US launch.

BlackBerry has stated that it is aiming to have the top Regional apps when it launches in each region. Many of the ones discussed here as 'major, must have' apps are in fact US apps. Because they are 'major' to the US market does not make them major to all markets. Sure, that doesn't mean that some of the apps discussed here have international interest but most of the others do not. I am not trying to bait anyone here. I am not one of the people who think because it hasn�t been released in the US that therefore the launch hasn't happened yet. That is arrogance. So is the belief that missing regional apps need to be available now even though devices are not for sale to the general public in that region. Why not put the discussion on hold until the US launch to see what's there and what's not.
    Why would they be centric to USA? I would call skype a needed app in almost every market. Usa is not the center of the world...
    02-18-13 10:49 AM

BlackBerry has stated that it is aiming to have the top Regional apps when it launches in each region. Many of the ones discussed here as 'major, must have' apps are in fact US apps. Because they are 'major' to the US market does not make them major to all markets. Sure, that doesn't mean that some of the apps discussed here have international interest but most of the others do not. I am not trying to bait anyone here. I am not one of the people who think because it hasn�t been released in the US that therefore the launch hasn't happened yet. That is arrogance. So is the belief that missing regional apps need to be available now even though devices are not for sale to the general public in that region. Why not put the discussion on hold until the US launch to see what's there and what's not.
    That is what I call bull**** or crapalysis

Just make research about Skype user base.

Secondly Z10 was launched first in the markets blackberry always considered the strongest for itself - UK and Middle East.

Yeah, ask Apple or Google about Skype or WhatsApp or any other big app being limited.

Nada. Nope. Net. Yok. Fans minds are limited, but the big apps not. That is why they are big.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:22 AM
    Cheap shot. This launch has shown hugely better execution than the PlayBook, which was rushed to market incomplete. The Z10 is a decent device NOW. Not "60 days" from now, but NOW. It may not be for you, specifically, but if you take a hypothetical first smartphone buyer, they'd likely have a great time with the Z10. You couldn't quite say the same thing about the PlayBook.
    Lol I won't lie, it was a fun lil cheap shot. I exaggerated a little bit. This launch has definitely been much better than the PlayBook launch. It's almost not even comparable...but like I said in my last post, I'm tired of hearing "coming soon" from BB. Don't even promise something if you aren't sure u can deliver is how I feel about the situation.

I'm still hoping to see many apps announced within the next few weeks leading up to launch in the US
    02-18-13 05:25 PM
    I hope the promise of apps by us launch are true, if bbrys track record for promises and time frame were accurate i would take it at face value instead of my crossed arms. For a business oriented company it is becoming increasingly difficult to conduct business on the device. Small business seems to thrive on ios/android, if you send me an email with a tracking number on ios, i simply click the tracking number and it automatically tracks the package on the couriers site. Things like that combined with the ebay app are why my iphone is still with me. The problem is many people shrug at these things which they personally do not use, but they are important features. The only reason i give bb a chance is because of my years of loyalty to them,i am not ready to just turn away and leave. Just a thought, if bbry spent 20,50 100+ milion ? on this launch, could they have just given the 20 or so app makers 500k or a million each to make the apps for bb10? It would go a lot further then a superbowl ad thats already forgetten and nobody knew the meaning of.
    02-18-13 07:06 PM
    I'm dying without bebuzz and mmajunkie. Also, I'm praying a decent call blocker comes down the pipes soon.
    02-18-13 07:48 PM
    The best YouTube "App" is the DESKTOP version of the site and all the flash content, which, ONLY the Z10 provides out of the box. You don't need an app for YouTube when you've got a browser that rivals desktop browsers that can view all the content the web has to offer.
    My understanding is that YouTube hasn't required Flash for viewing most of its videos for quite a while now. (Apparently as of 2010 videos with ads only played using Flash but that could have all changed by now. Most major browsers and mobile platforms can play HTML5 streaming video now.)

Flash is a competitive advantage for BB10 for some sites. But Flash in general is going away pretty soon, BB10 is the ONLY mobile platform it's still quasi-officially supported on any more, Adobe dropped support on all the other mobile platforms. But the desktop versions are going away pretty soon too. (Linux was the first desktop platform they dropped support for. Windows and OS-X are the last holdouts.)

There are unquestionably advantages to a well-written dedicated app over a web-based service, including more efficient use of system resources in many cases and oftentimes more convenient UI. But you are correct that many web-based services work fine in the browser in the meantime.
    02-18-13 10:57 PM
    Im pretty sure Blackberry have nothing to do with app development. They're a software and hardware company. The people to blame are the developers. No Instagram? That's their fault for not developing for BB.

Not really. The developer relations team at any platform vendor has a large impact on who develops for a platform. Some companies are downright adversarial with developers - it could be pretty decisively argued that this was how RIM was a couple of years ago. That is completely changed now and these days Blackberry is reputed to be the most developer-friendly company in the whole smartphone industry.

They can also bribe developers to develop for the platform, which they have also done a lot of. They might not have quite the deep pockets that Apple/Google/MS have to throw money at devs, but I think considering their size they have been very very aggressive in that respect recently.

I'm dying without bebuzz and mmajunkie. Also, I'm praying a decent call blocker comes down the pipes soon.
    I've found recent versions of BeBuzz very buggy and support from Bellshare almost nonexistent.

Re: Call Blocker, a Turkish dev called SRS Teknoloji which makes a very nice call/email/SMS blocker for legacy BBOS has told me they are working on a BB10 version.
    02-18-13 11:12 PM
    I have been A diehard BlackBerry user for years. Over the last eighteen months I've carried a hold and an I phone. I've gotten quite tired of carrying 2 phones. I don't need a ton of apps. My wish was if I could get a great browsing experience on my no bold with the apps I had I'd be very content. So for me the last couple weeks with the Z10 have been very disappointing. There were apps that were very successful on the old platform and they're nowhere to be seen. Where are the devotees on this? BlackBerry started their jam events long enough ago these apps should just be there. Apps like be buzz. Some say BlackBerry didn't open the api's others blame the developers. I don't care at this point. I'll stick it out until the us release dates. If the app selection has not proved I'll only be carrying one phone and the only thing I know for sure is it WILL NOT be a BlackBerry product. Unfortunately I think there will be several others who will be of the same opinion. And that would truly such for BlackBerry and for those who love them.

Posted via CB10
    vjvj likes this.
    02-18-13 11:25 PM
    Most of what you expect an app to do can be done in Html5 and then hosted as a website. It's up to developers to code them.

View this on your z10
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    Join the trial and then view http://m.youtube.com
    Looks like an app!? I know right?
    Http://touch.facebook.com and https://mobile.twitter.com (destroys the current app) as well. In fact the twitter app on ipad is all html5.
    Instagram could be done the same.

But if you want things running in the background giving you alerts/notifications..that's when you need an app.. so that the process can run unseen munching your data and battery

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:25 PM
    Most of what you expect an app to do can be done in Html5 and then hosted as a website. It's up to developers to code them.
    They might "look like an app" but they are also pulling all the overhead of the browser behind them, and there are still UI things that can't be coded in HTML. (Then again if you look at the simplistic thing that Slacker Radio just released on BB10 as a "native app", it would be understandable that one would believe an HTML5 page could be just as good as or superior to a native app..

Also a web-based app is dependent on your connectivity at the moment - no data connection, no function. Wouldn't be such a big deal for a streaming app where you need a good data connection to do anything anyway, but would really suck if you couldn't open up a memo or document editor just because you had a poor signal where you happened to be standing at that particular moment.
    02-19-13 12:20 AM

View this on your z10
    YouTube
    Join the trial and then view YouTube
    Looks like an app!? I know right?
    Http://touch.facebook.com and https://mobile.twitter.com (destroys the current app) as well. In fact the twitter app on ipad is all html5.
    Instagram could be done the same.

But if you want things running in the background giving you alerts/notifications..that's when you need an app.. so that the process can run unseen munching your data and battery
    Posted via CB10
    So why don't you try your own medicine for a while as a dare...if you truly are convinced by what you just posted.

Remove ALL your email accounts on your Blackberry and access all your emails via the browser

Gmail has a webkit optimized mobile email experience. Ditto for Yahoo and many other email providers. You can even use Google calendar with your browser.

try that out and see how it feels.
    02-19-13 01:53 AM
    My understanding is that YouTube hasn't required Flash for viewing most of its videos for quite a while now. (Apparently as of 2010 videos with ads only played using Flash but that could have all changed by now. Most major browsers and mobile platforms can play HTML5 streaming video now.)

Flash is a competitive advantage for BB10 for some sites. But Flash in general is going away pretty soon, BB10 is the ONLY mobile platform it's still quasi-officially supported on any more, Adobe dropped support on all the other mobile platforms. But the desktop versions are going away pretty soon too. (Linux was the first desktop platform they dropped support for. Windows and OS-X are the last holdouts.)

There are unquestionably advantages to a well-written dedicated app over a web-based service, including more efficient use of system resources in many cases and oftentimes more convenient UI. But you are correct that many web-based services work fine in the browser in the meantime.
    Please tell him! This is 2013, every video uploaded on Youtube now will run without Flash, and the vast majority of the back catalogue will happily run without Flash. This isn't 2007 anymore.

I get better performance from a Native Youtube app on my Android device...and it's modded to allow me download any Youtube video.
    02-19-13 01:56 AM
    Tbh. If we don't get these big apps bb10 fails. People say games aren't everything but in my opinion it means a lot. Whenever I see an iPhone I just think temple run I wish I had that, and even more games, fitness apps my fitness, but mainly I just play games in spare time etc I have downloaded pages and pages of apps on bb10 I'm happy its just silly some apps don't even fill the screen up ots pretty silly... We need these big games like temple run if people on iphone see bb10 without even 1/10th off iphone main apps then why would they ever wanna swap over... no banking apps to Lloyds tbh missing that's silly. WhatsApp its coming, instagram coming. Skype. But it's a port. I don't mind ports if their made well if it runs fine I'm happy... better than nothing. but we need these apps or people won't come from iphone there is absolutely no need to change from 100s of good apps to. Around 10 good apps on bb10. I'm happy not complaining. Just think they wouldn't change. Even the Facebook and Twitter app isn't well made tbh. Bit yeah I'm very happy with bb10 and the huge selection of apps compare to older berries just hope gets better

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 02:32 AM
    Perspective
    ..a study by Nielsen, which found that the average number of applications per smartphone was rising, but that the amount of time people spent using apps had not changed much. The most heavily used apps were Facebook, YouTube, the Android Market, Google Search and Gmail.

Onavo, a company that helps people monitor their data use, estimates that only about 1,000 applications have at least 50,000 users in the United States. The rest remain far from the mainstream.

For the typical app, less than half the people who download it use it more than once, said Guy Rosen, the chief executive of Onavo.

Digital Diary: Are We Suffering From Mobile App Burnout? - NYTimes.com
    02-19-13 06:35 AM
    Who takes handwritten notes? There's a new technology that is much faster and accurate. It's called a keyboard...
    Creating a network and interface diagram on a requirements and pre deployment meeting.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-19-13 07:20 AM
    Hear, hear! I have an iPhone 4S as well (backup phone now) . I'm still learning what native functionality exists... Apps are coming, these posts will decrease after March no doubt. personally I got app fatigue on the 4S.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 07:53 AM
    Yeah, if the missing apps don't appear after the U.S. Launch, then he should be concerned.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 07:56 AM
    I promise you that the timing of the U.S. launch for BB10 has a lot to do with the availability of certain apps. Don't be surprised to see major announcements in the run up to the US launch. Wouldn't it be convenient, if after the initial buzz of the 'official launch' has died down, to have skype, netflix, instagram and others making their announcements right before the US launch. Carriers aren't dumb, they know that these phones are a tough sell without certain key apps. It is a dealbreaker for most consumers. So the two major complaints, the delayed US launch and the lack of certain apps right now are interconnected. Let's be honest here. If Blackberry could have gotten away with it, they would have delayed the official launch even more, but they couldn't. Instead, they launched early only in markets where they are strong, because people there were going to buy the phone regardless of it's relatively weak selection of popular apps. So I expect to see these apps coinciding with the US release. If, for example, instagram is not available, I will be changing to a different platform. Instagram is too ubiquitous of an app, some people use it more than facebook or twitter. So hopefully they have a plan...
    02-19-13 08:12 AM
209 ... 6789