From Twitter:

Alec Saunders confirms that the Big Apps are coming soon. He say: "they're coming. no worries. some partners are just taking a little longer."
    Well we should all be at ease now knowing this. Unbelieveable they still arnt here, must be the carriers fault somehow too.
    02-17-13 07:30 AM
    Me gusta that part.

Damn this thread started today and it's happening. This is the spot
    Hee Hee. I'm still getting used for the Z10's keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:37 AM
    man some of you don't even have the phone and u complain there are no apps!! like relax.. i think this point has been STRESSED MORE then enough!! if u don;t like it.. get off it and move to a more established OS with a better App selection....

stop you ******** and whinning cause u'll be waiting way longer then a few weeks if ur want ALL your apps here and available...

BB10 has been available to devs maybe like 6 months? the OS was started 2 years ago!!?!?! like give people a break!!! u think devs have nothing better to do then develop for one platform? i wouldn't be surprised if most of these devs did other full time jobs or did multiple apps at a time..

one word!! SPOILED.... all you people that just complain complain complain! yes it's hard to wait for apps, yes u wanna do more with your brand new phone.. but if ur gonna support a company and go through their Growing Pains.. then u have to expect this to happen! with apps, bugs, etc.
    - precisely ....here in the states we don't have the bloody Z10 yet, and this system is expected to be perfect for some of you that have it elsewhere .... for.....10 mintues (or 2 weeks)? Holy over reaction --- if you want a choice besides an iPhone and droid world, mind your patience and hang in there.
    canuckvoip and CDM76 like this.
    02-17-13 07:43 AM
    well, to be clear, he didn't say anything about apps. He was replying to a now-deleted tweet from a new twitter account. And his comments were in between others about travelling - so perhaps the partners were travelling companions...
    He was talking about Apps.

It was a response to my message to him. The original message said something like "At BBJAM you said 'all major apps will be available.'" What happened?

As someone who suffered through PlayBook, I was not excited to hear "Coming Soon" again. But, this really can't be false because the Z10 can't launch in the US without them. One way or the other we will know and soon.

Somehow I deleted my messages.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:46 AM
    I think he said "Later this year....". Yay.
    02-17-13 11:27 AM
    One of the first lessons in project management (and "project" aptly describes any large software undertaking) is that you plan according to goals and requirements, estimate the amount of time it will take to meet those goals, and keep working it until it's done. No "deadline", aside from estimates made earlier, should inform the process, as there are always unpredictable issues which could cause the project to slip. While it's fair to criticise when all we're hearing about amounts to so much vapourware (when was the last time you heard that term?), the only thing that should result from such an undertaking should be a product which meets the goals previously defined, even if it means missing stated release dates.

Given that BlackBerry, under Heins, seems to understand that (look no further than the delays that caused BB10 to miss a very profitable giving season to see that, and others, such as Microsoft and even Apple still seem to need to get that understanding) those that want their apps, NOW, are basically asking for crapware with bugs that will only undermine the company's, and the platform's, success.
    Zedi Master likes this.
    02-17-13 11:30 AM
    The Biggest Missing App to me is BlackBerry Travel. I am really suffering without it.
    Blackberry travel is just a blackberry rebrand of Worldmate so if worldmate is available, that should keep you covered
    02-17-13 12:34 PM
    How long has this ......BB10 been in development, these Big Apps have been coming for awhile now, getting tired of waiting. Hummmm, what does that mean. I guess when you get tired of a situation, you have do something about it .......
    Just like that beer called Procrastinaion is always Coming Soon?
    02-17-13 12:35 PM
    We all know what the definition of "Coming Soon" is to Blackberry
    02-17-13 01:30 PM
    They are coming. Look, most of the big app partners are based in the USA. To them the US launch is the start date. So they're not late right now... they're still early. I think you will see a lot of apps come to the catalog over the next six weeks as US launch happens. Can't come soon enough!

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree with you CBK. The people who have the Z10 now are guinea pigs for the US launch.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 01:36 PM
    Completely agree with you CBK. The people who have the Z10 now are guinea pigs for the US launch.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely not. BlackBerry had a huge media event in New York, paid for a Super Bowl Ad, and distributed review units to the US media. BlackBerry did not do all these things to launch sometime in March. BlackBerry wanted to launch earlier in the US than is coming to pass.

In the end, this might be a good thing if it means that the US has a better app ecosystem when it lunches.

Posted via CB10
    araskin likes this.
    02-17-13 01:44 PM
    If I were Heins I would have paid the big app developers/owners $$$$$$$$s to induce them to make the apps ready for BB10 launch. Maybe they've already done that, I don't know. But big name apps are hugely important if BB10 - Z10 - Q10 are to take off and I would have used BlackBerry's cash pile to make the app owners offers that they could not refuse.
    02-17-13 01:47 PM
    If I were Heins I would have paid the big app developers/owners $$$$$$$$s to induce them to make the apps ready for BB10 launch. Maybe they've already done that, I don't know. But big name apps are hugely important if BB10 - Z10 - Q10 are to take off and I would have used BlackBerry's cash pile to make the app owners offers that they could not refuse.
    I believe that this has been done.

The results so far? There are lots of games from big developers. Granted, most of those are on PlayBook and not BB10 yet for some reason.

Games are mostly ports and the tools for this were ready a long time ago - long before tools for native apps were ready. So, it kind of makes sense that apps would follow games. But, I have to admit that I am surprised that almost no big apps are ready yet. I can't explain why it is taking so long.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 01:57 PM
    BlackBerry wanted to launch earlier in the US than is coming to pass.

In the end, this might be a good thing if it means that the US has a better app ecosystem when it lunches.

Posted via CB10
    i think you and I both know that there isn't going to be a significantly 'better' app ecosystem anytime in the next 6-12 months. Getting an isolated hero app like Skype or whatever doesn't make the ecosystem 'better'.

I wondered about this too. Can't understand how the phone could have been launched without a Skype or a ____________ (fill in the blank) app (and no, 'devs are busy people' isn't an explanation. They've had at least a full year). Could it be that MSFT isn't crazy about developing it?

I also think, though, that BBRY has a bigger challenge just getting the phone to the point that all the little bugs and quirks are worked out. If the phone hits the U.S. in the state it's in now, there will be a slew of news features about how people are having troubles. That will be major bad news for BBRY.

If you've spent too much time in the Z10 forums in the past few weeks, just read through the 'Just got my Z10' sticky. There seem to be a ton of people in there who love the phone.
    02-17-13 02:14 PM
    All of those apps will have to be re-written for this platform. Not a trivial task while creating the new platform and the many software development tools at the same time.

I think all the complainers about the "lack of apps" need to cool their jets a little and show some patience. Maybe instead how about thanking those hard working devs for their efforts thus far...what a novel. But then again I guess you are all so perfect in your own jobs with work deadlines with your own customers, clients, employers etc. If you already have your Z10, how about using the tiem waiting learning all you can about it to help others or offer tips on how to perform previous functions in a different way. What a novel idea, helping others instead of complaining about the same thing ad nauseum.

A lot of the negative attitude I see here on CB would scare me off developing for BB10 only to end up with some of the demanding users I see.

You are buying into a new platform. This means that it will take time to build the apps, eco system and bring the best features (requiring new code) of the previous platform while including a lot of new and amazing features for the future. If you think it is so easy to create software of the quality many are expecting, then try coding yourself while committing to a demanded announced release date and see how far you get.
    02-17-13 02:16 PM
    Agreed. The situation is equally bleak for the BlackBerry PlayBook after almost two full years. Where are the hand-written note-taking applications like those created for Apple iPhone and Google Android? Why doesn't BlackBerry partner with the software developers and create native versions for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry Z10?
    Who takes handwritten notes? There's a new technology that is much faster and accurate. It's called a keyboard...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 02:39 PM
    Most of the must-have apps are free. They're not going to add revenue to the bottom line, they mostly will add functionality to their existing user base, which is helpful but not as big of an incentive, IMO. For example, are people adding a NEW Netflix account to watch on their Z10 or do they want their existing subscription to ALSO work on it? In that kind of situation, it's not even adding to your user base, just using more resources for the same subscription.

Regarding some of the smaller devs that do sell apps, I wonder if the $10K guarantee parameters are affecting their releases. Not sure of the details, but would it matter that the start date of that year is when there are not many potential buyers? Would that be good or bad for their chances?
    00stryder and BergerKing like this.
    02-17-13 02:49 PM
    I think all the complainers about the "lack of apps" need to cool their jets a little and show some patience.

A lot of the negative attitude I see here on CB would scare me off developing for BB10 only to end up with some of the demanding users I see.

If you think it is so easy ...then try coding yourself...
    Do you seriously think that on the day before the launch, Thorsten would have said 'Folks, please be patient, it will take time to build the apps, eco system and bring the best features .... of the previous platform'? Not a chance. They are pitching the Z10 as ready to go and ready for business.

If reading anonymous posts from a group of uber-geeks on an online forum would discourage you for developing apps for an amazing platform like this, it's a darn good thing you're not a dev.

Saying 'if you think you can do better, do it yourself' is totally pointless. The BBRY took a huge task upon itself. They opened themselves up to criticism if they came without the hero apps that everyone expects. It's not like this issue can't be overcome, but yes, as non-devs, we ask how/why all these devs couldn't come up with an app in 12 months (I'm guessing at how long they've had access to the OS).
    02-17-13 02:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    "Guinea pigs" may be a bit of a mischaracterization. For one thing, at least some of the "app gap" is for apps that are currently US-only anyway (Pandora, for instance). For another, the markets where the Z10 has been launching don't seem to be as hung up on apps as the US. For many users in these markets, it just isn't that big a deal. Seriously.

And, interestingly, we might just be reaching a point where apps just aren't as important, period. This piece from the NYTimes Bits Blog suggests we might be starting to experience "mobile app burnout": Digital Diary: Are We Suffering From Mobile App Burnout? - NYTimes.com

i think you and I both know that there isn't going to be a significantly 'better' app ecosystem anytime in the next 6-12 months. Getting an isolated hero app like Skype or whatever doesn't make the ecosystem 'better'.
    Full agreement on that. The best reason for getting certain big-name apps on board is that it removes a potential objection from a prospective buyer ("It doesn't do Netflix? Sorry, I can't live without Netflix..."). I do believe that BB10 has the potential for having a great ecosystem, though, just because there are so many ways for a developer to enter. I don't care much about sheer numbers (see above), but if we get an ecosystem with at least cursory curation (which Android does not do), offers multiple paths to inclusion and doesn't arbitrarily pull apps (both advantages over Apple), then BB10 could wind up with a really interesting app portfolio.

I wondered about this too. Can't understand how the phone could have been launched without a Skype or a ____________ (fill in the blank) app (and no, 'devs are busy people' isn't an explanation. They've had at least a full year). Could it be that MSFT isn't crazy about developing it?
    Yes, it could very well be that MSFT "isn't crazy" about developing for BB10. I wonder why? Oh, that's right! They just launched their own new mobile platform a few months ago, and uptake is already dropping like a rock. It's clear that in the long run they'll need to just suck it up and get to work. In Skype's case, they kind of had to do something, given that Live Messenger is going away in a matter of weeks and it had been supported on BB forever. The Skype exclusion looked petty enough to begin with, but that would have just been piling on. I know there's been talk that MS was behind the delay on Instagram, too, though that seems to be a bit of a stretch.

I also think, though, that BBRY has a bigger challenge just getting the phone to the point that all the little bugs and quirks are worked out. If the phone hits the U.S. in the state it's in now, there will be a slew of news features about how people are having troubles. That will be major bad news for BBRY.

If you've spent too much time in the Z10 forums in the past few weeks, just read through the 'Just got my Z10' sticky. There seem to be a ton of people in there who love the phone.
    See, I think the Z10 actually WOULD do fairly well in the US were it available now. Full stop, no "if only it had (x)". There's a few user populations that I could see going to the Z10 and enjoying it immensely:

1) Former BB users who like the brand and didn't necessarily use legacy BB features that are not yet supported in BB10.
    2) Older smartphone users who never really got into apps in general. And, yes, there are quite a few of them out there.
    3) Users trading out of older iPhones and early Androids who are impressed with the speed on the Z10 and decide that outweighs the availability of app (x).

I don't know how large these populations actually are, but I suspect they still represent more buyers than BB is getting now.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 02:54 PM
    Most of the must-have apps are free. They're not going to add revenue to the bottom line, they mostly will add functionality to their existing user base, which is helpful but not as big of an incentive, IMO. For example, are people adding a NEW Netflix account to watch on their Z10 or do they want their existing subscription to ALSO work on it? In that kind of situation, it's not even adding to your user base, just using more resources for the same subscription.
    interesting. So it's the market penetration of iOS/Android that makes it worthwhile for them to develop for those platforms?

This suggests that there might be a Catch 22 involved where the devs are reluctant to work so hard for a platform that's not widely used by their particular user base, and people are unwilling to adopt the platform if thy don't have those apps.

In any case, I can't believe that the hero apps like Skype, Netflix, Instagram, etc won't be developed eventually. As a big-time BB fan, I guess I don't want to believe it
    02-17-13 02:58 PM
    All of those apps will have to be re-written for this platform. Not a trivial task while creating the new platform and the many software development tools at the same time.

I think all the complainers about the "lack of apps" need to cool their jets a little and show some patience. Maybe instead how about thanking those hard working devs for their efforts thus far...what a novel. But then again I guess you are all so perfect in your own jobs with work deadlines with your own customers, clients, employers etc. If you already have your Z10, how about using the tiem waiting learning all you can about it to help others or offer tips on how to perform previous functions in a different way. What a novel idea, helping others instead of complaining about the same thing ad nauseum.

You are buying into a new platform. This means that it will take time to build the apps, eco system and bring the best features (requiring new code) of the previous platform while including a lot of new and amazing features for the future. If you think it is so easy to create software of the quality many are expecting, then try coding yourself while committing to a demanded announced release date and see how far you get.
    This "New" platform has been out in people's hands for almost two years! PlayBook launched in May 2011 running QNX. The apps haven't came for it and we were told they would come with BB10 and the PlayBook would get it, along with addressing many of the PlayBook OS deficiencies. So far neither have happened. Dev Alpha device have been out ther for half a year. Also they've been working to get devs for BB10 for a long time with BB Jam sessions going on for almost a year. I will say that BlackBerry has done a great job at getting devs the tools they need, but a poor job at getting key apps from bigger shops to the platform.
    02-17-13 03:09 PM
    Yes, it could very well be that MSFT "isn't crazy" about developing for BB10. I wonder why? Oh, that's right! They just launched their own new mobile platform a few months ago, and uptake is already dropping like a rock. It's clear that in the long run they'll need to just suck it up and get to work. In Skype's case, they kind of had to do something, given that Live Messenger is going away in a matter of weeks and it had been supported on BB forever. The Skype exclusion looked petty enough to begin with, but that would have just been piling on. I know there's been talk that MS was behind the delay on Instagram, too, though that seems to be a bit of a stretch.

See, I think the Z10 actually WOULD do fairly well in the US were it available now. Full stop, no "if only it had (x)". There's a few user populations that I could see going to the Z10 and enjoying it immensely:

1) Former BB users who like the brand and didn't necessarily use legacy BB features that are not yet supported in BB10.
    2) Older smartphone users who never really got into apps in general. And, yes, there are quite a few of them out there.
    3) Users trading out of older iPhones and early Androids who are impressed with the speed on the Z10 and decide that outweighs the availability of app (x).

I don't know how large these populations actually are, but I suspect they still represent more buyers than BB is getting now.
    Yes, it seemed very likely to me that politics underlay the lack of certain apps. If control of content is the holy grail for these mobile platform companies then of course there is going to be a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that someone like me wouldn't know about. In the case of MSFT and Skype, it's pretty obvious. Wouldn't MSFT love to announce that Skype will only be available on their platform going forward?

I'll hold back from commenting on the second part of the quote above. I do agree that until I have one in my hand, I shouldn't comment too much about functionality. And believe me, I'll have one soon enough. I do see a whole lot lot of threads from non-trolls mentioning little inconsistent buggy things happening. I think that will be a big problem for your category (2) and (3) above, especially category (2).

By the way, I really couldn't care less about 95% of these apps and I think your pointing out that NYT article about app burnout is spot on. I want the phone to work perfectly for business right out of the box. I don't want to spend hours tweaking and reading threads to find work-arounds. A big ask, I know, but there it is.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 03:09 PM
    This sounds like the playbook fiasco all over again. You can't expect people to purchase your product based on "commitment" from developers. I would love to try the Z10, but I have no reason to at this point. All the things I enjoy most from my smartphone cannot be accomplished on the Z10. I pray that they have some big name apps available prior to the US launch, if not expect sales reps to push consumers towards iOS/android/winmo even more.

Don't kill my vibe using Tapatalk
    BergerKing and JeepBB like this.
    02-17-13 03:28 PM
    This sounds like the playbook fiasco all over again. You can't expect people to purchase your product based on "commitment" from developers. I would love to try the Z10, but I have no reason to at this point. All the things I enjoy most from my smartphone cannot be accomplished on the Z10. I pray that they have some big name apps available prior to the US launch, if not expect sales reps to push consumers towards iOS/android/winmo even more.

Don't kill my vibe using Tapatalk
    Different situation. By the time the Z10 launches in the US there's a fair chance that there will be as many out there in the hands of customers as the PlayBook has managed to sell in close to two YEARS. Much bigger audience.

Skype's committed (and Alec Saunders has explicitly said it would be available by the time of the US launch). Kindle? I might be a little dubious since they similarly "committed" to the PlayBook, too. I suspect they would have followed through, though, had the PB sold decently.

(out of curiosity, when you say "All the things I enjoy most from my smartphone cannot be accomplished on the Z10", what do you mean specifically?)
    02-17-13 03:36 PM
    (out of curiosity, when you say "All the things I enjoy most from my smartphone cannot be accomplished on the Z10", what do you mean specifically?)
    maybe you dont mind if I answer to this as well?

- personal banking - my bank doesn't support the playbook nor Z10 - though other BB devices
    - stay in contact with business contacts via skype
    - stay in contact with private contacts via viber/whatsapp
    - native app usage of: ebay, amazon, paypal, imdb without the need of side-loading
    - secure pictures in an authenticated picture gallery
    - manage my GoPro from my mobil device

just a few tasks really but the ones I use the smartphone the most besides business related tasks ...
    02-17-13 03:47 PM
209 ... 34567 ...