Honestly I was expecting greater compatibility between the playbook apps and the z10 apps.

I'm very disappointed that the two devices have little compatibility considering how we were fed this qnx bit. This is unlike android tablets and the iPad where the majority of apps of fully compatible between phone and tablet (even though they look the same which I don't mind).

AT MINIMUM I was expecting all my playbook apps to be fully compatible with my Z10.
    02-17-13 03:50 PM
    Varadigm, did you find a "to do" app with timed alarms? I failed, apart from GTD. the free version didn't have timed notifications then failed ti update, so I'm reluctant to buy the paid-for app, which shows timed notifications in the screenshots on BB World. I like the integration of Remember, so want an app that overlays like ToDo Plus for Palm.
    02-17-13 03:53 PM
    maybe you dont mind if I answer to this as well?

- personal banking - my bank doesn't support the playbook nor Z10 - though other BB devices
    Fair enough on that one; these are the kinds of apps that won't appear until there's a clear user population asking for them. To be fair, some of these work under sideloading.

- stay in contact with business contacts via Skype
    Committed to be there in time for US launch.

- stay in contact with private contacts via viber/whatsapp
    WhatsApp is committed, and apparently building a native BB10 app. Viber has been promising PlayBook support forever; presumably they'd be close to having client available if they've been working on a PBOS version. No time frame for either. Note that ooVoo is coming soon and FaceFlow is already available.

- native app usage of: ebay, amazon, paypal, imdb without the need of side-loading
    With Kindle "committed", it's safe to say that Amazon and IMDB wouldn't be far behind. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see eBay at least on board for the US launch, if not PayPal as well. I'll agree that sideloading is a small barrier, and some users won't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole, but it's easier and presents a much lower risk than jailbreaking an iPhone, for instance.

- secure pictures in an authenticated picture gallery
    On a Z10 you could use ZIP archives. Agreed, it's a workaround, and it needs to be addressed, but that would do the trick for now.

- manage my GoPro from my mobil device
    Granted; this would be an issue with Windows Phone as well, I would think? Now, when you talk about various devices, each company has to decide which platforms to support. Fortunately, if they've already published Android clients (which GoPro has), it's a quick process to convert their app. It would just be a question of them seeing a need.

just a few tasks really but the ones I use the smartphone the most besides business related tasks ...[/QUOTE]
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-17-13 04:04 PM
    Honestly I was expecting greater compatibility between the playbook apps and the z10 apps.

I'm very disappointed that the two devices have little compatibility considering how we were fed this qnx bit. This is unlike android tablets and the iPad where the majority of apps of fully compatible between phone and tablet (even though they look the same which I don't mind).

AT MINIMUM I was expecting all my playbook apps to be fully compatible with my Z10.
    If you have a Z10, and have it on the same BlackBerry ID, have you actually gone into "My World" and looked at what was available? I just did that today and I was quite pleased to see how many of my paid PlayBook apps were available to download right away. In some cases, they'd even been rewritten for BB10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-z10-773210/
    02-17-13 04:06 PM
    In all of these threads, complaining about lack of apps, I have to chuckle at some of the apps that people are pining for. Sure. There are some must-haves and I am sure that they are on the way and will be here before too long. But there is a lot of mention of apps which don't need to be apps.

Let me list a few terrific web apps (mobile websites) that are perfectly laid out, fast, feature packed and extremely functional. In most cases these are even better than a dedicated app:

TD Banking - EasyWeb
    Kobo
    eBay
    Amazon
    Rotten Tomatoes (Flixster isn't working for many of us)
    YellowPages

For all of the above, add a shortcut to your home screen and, Voila! Instant app. No need to wait any longer.

With such a powerful browser and LTE speed, why would you need anything else?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:11 PM
    I am actually don't have problem using the Android port version on Z10 while waiting for the native apps. I side loaded some of my popular apps such as Pulse, Path, Kindle and Flipboard and they are working quite decently. I know someone them I didn't get the latest version but as long as it is working, I haven't complaints.
    Last edited by jeo4long; 02-17-13 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Misspell
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-17-13 04:17 PM
    Different situation. By the time the Z10 launches in the US there's a fair chance that there will be as many out there in the hands of customers as the PlayBook has managed to sell in close to two YEARS. Much bigger audience.

(out of curiosity, when you say "All the things I enjoy most from my smartphone cannot be accomplished on the Z10", what do you mean specifically?)
    Instagram (I know, I know cliche), Bloomberg radio, pininterest, google chrome browser, kindle, nook, mint/pageonce, turboscan, stocks live, wikinvest, MLB at bat, nba game time, newsify/flipboard, instapaper, what's app. I don't want to be stuck with powerful hardware that lacks app support.

Don't kill my vibe using Tapatalk
    02-17-13 04:28 PM
    In all of these threads, complaining about lack of apps, I have to chuckle at some of the apps that people are pining for. Sure. There are some must-haves and I am sure that they are on the way and will be here before too long. But there is a lot of mention of apps which don't need to be apps.

Let me list a few terrific web apps (mobile websites) that are perfectly laid out, fast, feature packed and extremely functional. In most cases these are even better than a dedicated app:

TD Banking - EasyWeb
    Kobo
    eBay
    Amazon
    YellowPages

For all of the above, add a shortcut to your home screen and, Voila! Instant app. No need to wait any longer.

Posted via CB10
    The apps/web link apps you listed aren't what most consumers scream for. They want the top games/social media/finance/ productivity apps.

bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-17-13 04:32 PM
    Instagram (I know, I know cliche), Bloomberg radio, pininterest, google chrome browser, kindle, nook, mint/pageonce, turboscan, stocks live, wikinvest, MLB at bat, nba game time, newsify/flipboard, instapaper, what's app. I don't want to be stuck with powerful hardware that lacks app support.

I have already contacted NBA regarding about their apps coming over to BB10 last night. Still waiting for their response yet.
    02-17-13 04:33 PM
    Fair enough on that one; these are the kinds of apps that won't appear until there's a clear user population asking for them. To be fair, some of these work under sideloading.
    a banking app that allows side-loading would be one I wont be using due to lack of security - hence in this case the RBS app cant be downloaded nor side-loaded which is good - just a pain that they havent yet made a newer version ...

Committed to be there in time for US launch.
    US launch, fair play but I am in the UK and got the device to hand ...

WhatsApp is committed, and apparently building a native BB10 app. Viber has been promising PlayBook support forever; presumably they'd be close to having client available if they've been working on a PBOS version. No time frame for either. Note that ooVoo is coming soon and FaceFlow is already available.
    well i had a look at FaceFlow and it looks promising but with no Android/iPhone clients available its the same thing as with BBM almost ... it requires flash in the browser so no workaround for Android/iPhone really

With Kindle "committed", it's safe to say that Amazon and IMDB wouldn't be far behind. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see eBay at least on board for the US launch, if not PayPal as well. I'll agree that sideloading is a small barrier, and some users won't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole, but it's easier and presents a much lower risk than jailbreaking an iPhone, for instance.
    Hopefully yes but at this stage unfortunately not available ...

On a Z10 you could use ZIP archives. Agreed, it's a workaround, and it needs to be addressed, but that would do the trick for now.
    I could however I would prefer a simple gallery app that allows me to secure my pictures - @devs money waiting ...

Granted; this would be an issue with Windows Phone as well, I would think? Now, when you talk about various devices, each company has to decide which platforms to support. Fortunately, if they've already published Android clients (which GoPro has), it's a quick process to convert their app. It would just be a question of them seeing a need.
    actually should try the converted bar on the Z10 - thanks for the kind reminder mate - edit: still forced closure ...
    02-17-13 04:33 PM
    A specific date would be much appreciated though.
    That would but up to the app developers them self not BlackBerry. Until it is handed over to BlackBerry for BlackBerry World, it is out of their hands.

James
    02-17-13 06:09 PM

TD Banking - EasyWeb
    Kobo
    eBay
    Amazon
    YellowPages

Posted via CB10
    I remember when I used to think like this also........MY eyes have been opened
    02-17-13 06:22 PM
    If you have a Z10, and have it on the same BlackBerry ID, have you actually gone into "My World" and looked at what was available? I just did that today and I was quite pleased to see how many of my paid PlayBook apps were available to download right away. In some cases, they'd even been rewritten for BB10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-z10-773210/
    I've done that and that is why I raised the issue of why so many Apps are missing! It makes no sense for all the Playbook Apps NOT to be on the Z10. This is the low lying fruit: apps already exist, so WTF? This cannot have happened without someone somewhere simply dropping the ball.

By the way, Blackberry still has a lot of good will here in the US. Lots of people have come up to me and asked about my z10 and looked interested. But, almost everyone says something like "what about the apps." It is usually like the second or third thing that is asked about. I always ask "what app do you mean?" in response. So far, the Z10 is missing everything everyone has asked me about. This is a sign that things (as they stand) are not as they should be. I also always say something like "Blackberry is not about the apps." and I mean that. I am simply in the minority.
    02-17-13 06:42 PM
    Well we should all be at ease now knowing this. Unbelieveable they still arnt here, must be the carriers fault somehow too.
    i know can you believe the nerve of blackberry coming to market with what 70,000 apps please.... wp had like 40,000... that doesn't even compare to apples whopping "0" when the iphone was launched..what is bb going to come out with now...a phone that puts all notifications and such in one place what are they thinking about... don't they know that people like to hunt and peck going in and out of apps... (strong sarcasm if you didn't guess)
    02-17-13 06:46 PM
    i know can you believe the nerve of blackberry coming to market with what 70,000 apps please.... wp had like 40,000... that doesn't even compare to apples whopping "0" when the iphone was launched..what is bb going to come out with now...a phone that puts all notifications and such in one place what are they thinking about... don't they know that people like to hunt and peck going in and out of apps... (strong sarcasm if you didn't guess)
    You can be as sarcastic as you like but consumers don't care that Blackberry has a new platform. They want what they want. If Blackberry doesn't offer it, they will buy something else.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-13 06:49 PM

You can't put this on an an ad campaign. Thankfully, BBRY knows this.

Is the app situation better? You bet. Does it need some help? I think we all agree it needs improvement. Pointing out how it compares to iOS in 2007 probably doesn't help the cause, though.
    02-17-13 06:51 PM
    All notifications in one place?! That's just crazy...oh wait. Both competitors OS's already have that too..nvm.
    02-17-13 07:11 PM
    oh i know.. but do you not find it irritating that people keep complaining about things that every one and there dog knew about pre launch...we knew there was going to be an app- gap compared to the likes of apple and google..who have had time to build up there equo systems...it is an up hill battle to regain market share.. but to constantly complain that the apps you so dearly crave are not there...
    d3rd and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-17-13 07:14 PM
    that very well maybe the case... but we all knew that the apps were going to be lacking at the beginning, and over time they will build the apps up... that i am not doubting. but to run out and buy a z10 and then complain that they can't do everything they did on there brand x phone.. well it is getting tiresome...

its like buying a helicopter and then complaining it doesn't have an ejector seat..it is a phone and communication tool first and foremost, what it does after that is a bonus..
    d3rd likes this.
    02-17-13 07:21 PM
    that very well maybe the case... but we all knew that the apps were going to be lacking at the beginning, and over time they will build the apps up... that i am not doubting. but to run out and buy a z10 and then complain that they can't do everything they did on there brand x phone.. well it is getting tiresome...

its like buying a helicopter and then complaining it doesn't have an ejector seat..it is a phone and communication tool first and foremost, what it does after that is a bonus..
    Can't define how people use their devices though. For some folks, "communication" is a very, very eclectic term. I know some communicators who use less than a 100 minutes of talk time a month.
    02-17-13 07:28 PM
    Actually, i'd say it's more like buying a helicopter after looking at a brochure, and then when it comes, you realize it's got lawn chairs instead of actual seats, with the promise that the real seats are "coming soon". The lawn chairs still serve a purpose, but it's not really what you wanted when you signed up..
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-13 07:34 PM
    Guys - This is not like PlayBook all over again. Lots of big apps are coming soon. There may not be everything everyone wants but there will be progress and soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:39 PM
    A lot of that functionality (not all) is built in to the Blackberry Maps app for BB10, I understand.
    Yes that may be so, but not as intuitive, and effective as using the late app itself. For instance, can't have a selection of two routes, each showing time with traffic and all,, that was great, used to love the feature. This app also relied on other users data as to what speed they're travelling and all, and this is what made the app so useful, (unless no one traveled on the road you take)

I do not believe the maps app on bb10 does that...
    I agree that not all of the BB Traffic functionality appears to be in the maps app. Hopefully they bring back BB Traffic for BB10, or at least include more of its features in the maps app.
    02-17-13 07:52 PM
    Instagram (I know, I know cliche), Bloomberg radio, pininterest, google chrome browser, kindle, nook, mint/pageonce, turboscan, stocks live, wikinvest, MLB at bat, nba game time, newsify/flipboard, instapaper, what's app. I don't want to be stuck with powerful hardware that lacks app support....

The apps/web link apps you listed aren't what most consumers scream for. They want the top games/social media/finance/ productivity apps.
    It is disappointing to hear that NBA Gametime is not available for BB10 devices. I read somewhere that MLB at Bat has been confirmed and hopefully it will be there when the season begins.

Your point about apps "consumers scream for" is accurate. Whether CrackBerry posters see the need for a certain genre of app or not, the general public of phones users have gotten used to having those apps available and aren't going to leave their iPhone or Android devices for BlackBerry if their favorite apps aren't available. The folks at BlackBerry realize this and that is the reason they put so much effort into having as many apps as possible when the phone was released. Hopefully the promise of "big apps arriving soon" happens. I am no longer a BB user but there are a lot of things about BlackBerry I miss and I'm hoping the Q10 has what I'm looking for in a phone. But in the past 15 months there are several apps that I consider essential for me to have on my phone and if they aren't available I will sadly not be returning to BlackBerry.
    02-17-13 09:06 PM
    Guys - This is not like PlayBook all over again. Lots of big apps are coming soon. There may not be everything everyone wants but there will be progress and soon.

Posted via CB10
    Lots of big apps are already there. Of course, nobody pays attention to that; apparently it's only the stuff that's missing that's important.

Look, I get the frustration. I bought a PlayBook on week two and patiently waited for it to become more than marginally usable. The general sense that I'm getting here is that BB shouldn't have bothered unless they could get EVERY major app. Windows Phone doesn't have all this stuff either, btw, but apparently Microsoft is so all-powerful that it apparently doesn't matter.

My advice stands: do some due diligence before you buy. If the device isn't going to fill your needs don't buy it. You're not doing BB, your carrier, or yourself any favors trying to force the issue. If there's an app you really want, let the publisher know, because strangely enough, when they get enough demand they start to pay attention. Otherwise, weigh how important that app really is in your own personal grand scheme of things and see if you can do without. Or see if there's an alternative app that will be suitable.
    Barljo likes this.
    02-17-13 09:55 PM
209 ... 45678 ...