I believe you will be in for world of disappointment. They need to ensure they have a fully functioning Android app player on the BBX phones if they want to even stand a chance in today's market. Considering all the issues they're having with the Playbook, I hardly see this as being feasable for Q1.
    I agree, especially how they just released all their new phones. I would like to enjoy my new Torch for a while before I have to buy the BBX London!
    11-15-11 10:51 AM
    Question: Who would go to "Mary's" birthday party for cake and ice cream, if they have ALREADY gorged themselves on cake and ice cream at "Suzie's" party? think about that for a moment, to get my drift.
    People who didn't have the opportunity to even go to Suzie's party. Most people stick to their contracts and get phones on 2 year cycles. 2 years make a big difference on any platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 10:58 AM
    I believe you will be in for world of disappointment. They need to ensure they have a fully functioning Android app player on the BBX phones if they want to even stand a chance in today's market. Considering all the issues they're having with the Playbook, I hardly see this as being feasable for Q1.
    Honestly, we have no idea where the QNX is right now. We know they are holding out big changes til OS2. Now, do you think this beta we all have is fairly current and its all RIM has or do you think its truly a stripped down developers beta? I tend to think they did not give us a fully featured OS2. They have problem with multiple accounts and PINS. I don't necessarily think the OS itself has "problems". It takes time to build a platform. They haven't been at QNX too long really if you compare how long other platforms were built, even before they launched. I think they spent a lot of the last few month building the Android player and now switched to native features, hence the delay.

11-15-11 11:06 AM
    People who didn't have the opportunity to even go to Suzie's party. Most people stick to their contracts and get phones on 2 year cycles. 2 years make a big difference on any platform.

Disclaimer* I, in no way defend dave...

But everyone has the oppotrunity to go to Suzie's party. 4 options: House party (pre-paid party), VIP party (outright no contract purchase), Cocktail Party(1 year contract), and the Night out on the town party (2 yr contract).

Hey at least we don't have that 3 YEAR OPTION. I would lose my mind.
    11-15-11 11:18 AM
    Sure, everyone has the choice. Out where I live in small towns and farm land, its unheard of to buy phones out of contract. Crackberrians are far from the norm.

Im not saying it wont be behind, I'm just saying outside forums and blogs, it probably wont be that big of deal at all.

I agree, I'd go insane if I had to wait 3 years!
    Last edited by Blacklac; 11-15-11 at 11:30 AM.
    11-15-11 11:27 AM
    From BGR article: "it�s looking like the London is slated to launch some time in the third quarter next year, possibly late in the quarter."
    I think we first need to remember that this is NOT RIM saying this. This is a BGR source, and being likely third hand information there was probably confusion between fiscal and calendar. I'm not being a blind fanboy, I'm being a realist. There's no way RIM can wait until CALENDAR Q3. BGR is just stirring the pot to make RIM look bad as it seems that is their continuing agenda. I believe RIM will have a BBX phone out in Calendar Q1.
    Hmm. You make a good point. Maybe they're talking about fiscal Q3 2012? Which is calendar Q1 2012 if I'm not mistaken.
    11-15-11 01:13 PM
    Yes, this needs to come out Q1. RIM cannot afford to wait until Q3. They are already taking a beating, and if Q3 is correct, they would probably be in a bad situation and may not be able to recover.
    I hope it's Q1... but look at the PlayBook. RIM told us we would have native email, calendar, PIM by late summer. Then it was October, now they are telling us February. They can't play that game anymore, this BBX phone needs to launch Q1 as promised.
    11-15-11 01:21 PM
    PIM and the Playbook is different, IMO. First, they were planning on a Java VM, which they scrapped. Now they are having issues with multiple PINs. I honestly think they are pretty close to having PIM done, but they don't want to give up part of it here and part of it there.

We'll see if RIM makes any announcement, like they have the last 2 or so BGR rumors.

11-15-11 01:38 PM
    The BGR article didn't have any sources from RIM, so I don't buy into everything they reported. Remember the news about the PlayBook being discontinued?

With leaked images and game developer testing, I'm leaning more towards Q1/Q2 2012, which would be fiscal Q3 for RIM.

Look, RIM knows where they are. We know, they know, the whole world knows that they would be fools if they tried to lauch this device calendar Q3 2012. Android-manufacturers will be pushing 720p resolutions, 2.0 GHz+ quad-core processors, with most being able to support LTE. We all know that the iPhone 5 is coming next year, along with a new iPad. RIM just cannot afford to screw this one up. They know that it's either before June or they may lose their most of their U.S. market.

As much as some may like to believe, RIM isn't stupid. Lazaridis and Balsillie know the mess they're in and they know that to start recovering, they need these phones out the door as soon as possible.

Bring it, RIM!!!
    11-15-11 01:59 PM
    Q3 huh... well.... i warned you guys and warned you guys that no way was the first qnx phone coming out in q1 of 2012. No way. I predicted q3 at the earliest, tho i honestly say that i wouldnt be surprised to hear in late september "it is delayed"... And the first qnx pbone wont hit the shelf until oct-nov of 2012.

11-15-11 02:12 PM
    I guarantee that I will not wait until Q3. I think that I may jump ship when the Galaxy Nexus Prime comes out. Seven uninterrupted years of Blackberry use will come to an end.

If RIM is telling people Q3, it is really at least Q4. RIM has not met a deadline in years.

The world is simply passing RIM by.

Agree.
    With everything you said. Its scary that they are simply saying q3 (um, what happened to q1 2012???) and, given theydont make deadlines anymore, that means later than that. How will the phone world respond if we find out no qnx phone comes out until 2013?

11-15-11 02:19 PM
    I have a feeling the third quarter release has something to do with the second generation LTE chips that utilize a lot less power. However, if that is the case I strongly recommend that RIMM release their first LTE device earlier and just update the second and third device (Milan or whatever) with the better LTE chipsets. I just can't understand why it would take that long to get the phone out the door if they are utilizing very similar software to the Playbook. Assuming OS 2.0 is released in February then the BES and BBM (single PIN BBM) issues are resolved, so that should mean a greenlight for the phones.

I just don't see people thinking about RIM after CES and waiting for a Sept/October release is just bogus. For RIM to compete, they would need to be on their second/third BBX hardware release by then. They really need at least three months where people are talking and reviewing a new blackberry phone hardware to get mindshare. Then top that off with incremental software updates and new services will allow them to compete with the dozen of Android phones released every year.
    11-15-11 02:48 PM
    The posts here are ridiculous.

You're taking a rumor from BGR as gospel truth!

Honestly, does anyone actually believe that RIM will take more than a year to release a BBX phone? (Well, there is a class of trolls here that desperately wish that to be true; but I'm taking about sensible people.)
    11-15-11 08:03 PM
    Time frame seems perfect for me. I will have had my Bold 9930 for a year and will probably have an upgrade ready! (used my parents to upgrade to the 9930).

Plus, if BBX (QNX software) truly is up to par with the software on Androids and iOS I'm sure it will be a hit.

I'm perfectly happy with my 9930. Its definitely up to par with my friends' android and iPhones for what I use it for. Sure there aren't as many apps or games, but I don't need much of that (have an iPad for that crap).
    11-15-11 08:09 PM
    So RIM has said Q1 and they haven't come out and changed that. BGR is the one saying Q3. Although with RIM's track record I could see it coming it Q3.

11-15-11 08:13 PM

Honestly, does anyone actually believe that RIM will take more than a year to release a BBX phone? (Well, there is a class of trolls here that desperately wish that to be true; but I'm taking about sensible people.)
    I am not a troll; I have no faith in BlackBerry. Honestly it has been a disappointing last two years. Loved my 9800 when it came out, but it quickly fell behind in the specs game that it already lagged in upon release. Got a 9810, still am missing half my apps from before and lately have become increasingly frustrated with minor OS issues that should not exist on a platform that has been out for so long.

My intention was to wait for a BBX device, because I am not satisfied with my 9810. Q1 seemed like a reasonable wait to get a new device and sit out with my 9810 - however a full year isn't satisfactory. Personally, RIM's only saving grace in my books will be if Rogers (Canada) continues to only have one Windows device. Windows 7 phone for me, please.
    11-15-11 08:13 PM

Yes I believe that RIM will take more than a year to release a BBX phone. I believe Any sensible person would see that given RIM's recent track record with meeting delivery dates, a year is probably a little on the optimistic side.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-15-11 08:38 PM
    What makes them think people are willing to wait that long for a new BBX phone when they already have options that's are available right now?

And as far as the superior OS, I doubt that will be enough to save them from the mess they are in now.

And, who's to say it will still be so "superior" in 9 months or so?

Q1 I can see people waiting for. Q3 I can see people already picking out their next phone by the end of summer or so and becoming tired of waiting for another delay from RIM.

Ofcourse, Q3 is still just a rumor right?

War Is All We Know
    11-15-11 08:39 PM
    Colt dropped in favour of London, launching in Q3 2012?
    That sounds familiar....
    Didn't we hear not too long ago when we were desperately waiting for the 9900 when Jim B-Silly asked us for waiting a little longer as they were implementing OS7 in favour of 6.1, and OS7 ended up not too different from 6.1?
    RIM was so much better off launching 9900 in early this year with 6.1 and updating it when OS7 was ready.
    So, I have a strong reason not to trust what RIM says these days. I think at least one of half-CEOs is a problem, giving us false hopes all the time.
    I just cannot escape from the impression that RIM kept searching their own soul and do not know which direction they are going.
    We would be so much better off just relaxing for another couple of years, anticipating nothing earth shattering in that span anyway, despite hypes coming from Waterloo all the time.
    Good news to me was that 9790 is finally coming out. When Rogers implement the wifi hotspot, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Never mind QNX/BBX. BTW, today's news was reporting that BBX naming has already been taken by a Mexican (?) company, who is suing RIM. What was RIM thinking?
    11-15-11 10:06 PM
    Some of you are going to get heart attacks when RIM falls so far behind in terms of sales and market share than it is now and then gets gobbled up by someone.

The situation over at RIM is reminiscent of SE's and I can see the same ending. I would love a QNX Bold but I can see that that will probably come in 2013 seeing that they are trying to compete with the likes of the iPhone and Android which are spotting full touch screens. I just need the physical QWERTY keypad and couldn't care less for the fancy touch phones.

RIM is screwed and they did all by themselves.
    11-16-11 12:03 AM
    It's BGR dude.
    Plus Q3 sounds too far, I really don't think it's that far. I mean, we all know Playbook is getting OS2 around Feb. So the first BBX phone will also be around Feb, be it Jan, Feb, March, basically Q1.

The OS7(and BBOS) phones will be supported for a while thats for sure. Corporations and businesses will still use BBOS for a while, not everyone is ready with bags of cash to upgrade to the next big thing.
    11-16-11 12:08 AM
    In a word? Yes. The devices were rumored to be out in Q1. Now they're allegedly being pushed back until Q3. As with many other posters in this thread, many of us feel it'll be Q4 or even Q1 of 2013. RIM has never been good about making deadlines.

It's BGR dude.
    Plus Q3 sounds too far, I really don't think it's that far. I mean, we all know Playbook is getting OS2 around Feb. So the first BBX phone will also be around Feb, be it Jan, Feb, March, basically Q1.
    I've got a wonderful piece of oceanfront property in Nebraska for sale. Gorgeous ocean views and you can fall asleep listening to the gentle waves against the dunes.

Bet that the PB won't even get OS2 in Q1. They'll shove that out as they're still having problems getting BBM to work (among other problems).

The OS7(and BBOS) phones will be supported for a while thats for sure. Corporations and businesses will still use BBOS for a while, not everyone is ready with bags of cash to upgrade to the next big thing.
    They'll be supported, but don't look for software updates. As soon as OS6 came out, OS5 quit getting updates. Soon as BBX drops, OS7 will quit being updated.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 11-16-11 at 08:53 AM.
    11-16-11 08:49 AM
    if in fact this device or whatever bbx device drops in and around Q3 there will be quadcore phones flooding the market... yeah i know they will have worse batterlife than the bbx dual cores that come out, but at this point i just feel that RIM should be working on a quad core device if in fact the release will be Q3 so when they do hit the market they are not paces behind... again

i want more than anything for a RIM device to hit the market that makes me want to spend the 200+ bucks on it i have another upgrade and could use it on a 9900 from att, but at this point i dont see the point

i wanted the 9900 pretty bad... it just took to long to get to ATT

i have my fingers crossed that when the new bbx phones come around and hit the shelves they are not to little to late again

there is no reason why RIM cant look at what are making phones sell and add what RIM does best... for the next RIM phone to be a "superphone" it has to be able to perform and do everything that the compitition can do and be a Blackberry... i dont want to hear well why do we need angry birds or words with friends, or whatever things people say that are pointless in a phone, the fact is for a phone to be a "superphone" or "leapfrog" the comptition then i feel it should do everything those phones can do but better other wise its just another option to be overlooked by the new shiny bells and whistles of the other platforms...

maybe im asking to much...
    11-16-11 09:21 AM

Bet that the PB won't even get OS2 in Q1. They'll shove that out as they're still having problems getting BBM to work (among other problems).

They'll be supported, but don't look for software updates. As soon as OS6 came out, OS5 quit getting updates. Soon as BBX drops, OS7 will quit being updated.
    Who knows when the update will come and I for don't care if bbm ever is native on thw playbook but that is just little ol me.

You're wrong about OS 5 at least there were a couple updates for my tour after 6 was out. And as far as I know my phone does what it said it would what else do they need to do to it? I wasn't expecting it to get a new OS just like I didn't expect my old xp computer to get vista or 7 or even work with them.
    11-16-11 09:25 AM
    You're wrong about OS 5 at least there were a couple updates for my tour after 6 was out. And as far as I know my phone does what it said it would what else do they need to do to it? I wasn't expecting it to get a new OS just like I didn't expect my old xp computer to get vista or 7 or even work with them.
    Neither my Curve nor my Storm2 got OS updates after OS6 came out. I'm not saying the phones won't work - my Storm2 works just fine - but after each new OS comes out, the previous OS quits being updated and other than one or 2 handsets being able to update from OS5 to OS6, it's impossible to update OS on a BB phone without needing a new phone.
    11-16-11 09:43 AM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD