My gf's Z10 is 5 days old and she's loving it so far. She switched over from an iPhone and is officially on #teamblackberry.

Her only gripe is unlocking the phone. Right now, I disabled the use of gestures to wake up the phone when it's locked, and the Z10 is set to time-out after 1 minute. I kept reading in the forums how a lot of people experienced a lot of pocket dials and bad battery life with this feature on.

With the feature off, she is forced to press the standby button on the top of the phone, and then swipe up on the screen. This action is fine for the most part. But if you are doing something on the phone (such as browsing) but let the screen go dim after one minute, it's really annoying to have to press the standby button AND swipe up on the screen. At least on my Q10 all I have to do is press the standby button and I'm right back where I was (no additional swipe needed).

How does everyone have their phone set up? Any suggestions or advice?

Posted via my Q10
    08-05-13 08:07 AM
    Best way to wake-up/unlock Z10-img_00000539.png. Keep the first feature ON.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 08:12 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000539.png 
Views:	2115 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	189555. Keep the first feature ON.

Posted via CB10
    Obviously you didn't read my post. I am aware of this option, but I'm reluctant to use it because of battery drain or possible pocket dialing.

Posted via my Q10
    08-05-13 08:48 AM
    My gf's Z10 is 5 days old and she's loving it so far. She switched over from an iPhone and is officially on #teamblackberry.

Her only gripe is unlocking the phone. Right now, I disabled the use of gestures to wake up the phone when it's locked, and the Z10 is set to time-out after 1 minute. I kept reading in the forums how a lot of people experienced a lot of pocket dials and bad battery life with this feature on.

With the feature off, she is forced to press the standby button on the top of the phone, and then swipe up on the screen. This action is fine for the most part. But if you are doing something on the phone (such as browsing) but let the screen go dim after one minute, it's really annoying to have to press the standby button AND swipe up on the screen. At least on my Q10 all I have to do is press the standby button and I'm right back where I was (no additional swipe needed).

How does everyone have their phone set up? Any suggestions or advice?

Posted via my Q10
    Allow power/lock button to unlock

Posted Via My Most Used BlackBerry App
    08-05-13 08:49 AM
    Allow power/lock button to unlock

But with this feature on, there is no lock screen whatsoever, which means I won't be able to use the new message previews in 10.2.

Posted via my Q10
    08-05-13 09:16 AM
    Keep it in a case or a holster. Problem solved

Posted via CB10
    dparks69 likes this.
    08-05-13 09:40 AM
    Here's a trick to unlock the phone while swipe up is enabled (but not actually having to swipe up):

Put a finger on the top corner of the screen while pressing the top button. Release the top button and then your finger from the screen. Viola!

- aBBuser
    OceanBerry and Saultnpepper like this.
    08-05-13 09:54 AM
    I have unlock with gestures on ever since I got my Z10 and I've got no pocket dialing incidences at all

Give it a try and see how it goes mate it's a really cool and convenient feature.

Posted via CB10
    Mel25 and 00stryder like this.
    08-05-13 10:22 AM
    Pocket dial isn't an issue at all. Always had gestures on. Don't worry. It won't be a problem

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    Mel25 likes this.
    08-05-13 10:24 AM
    I've always had gestures on, up until a couple of days ago. That said, I've only had my Z10 back for about a week.

Before that, my original Z10, I used to keep in the official flip / stand case with the magnetic close thing that locked the phone. When it went in for repair, I think it had stopped responding to opening the case, or something - so when I got a replacement, I thought I'd try one of the other cases (I bought an S-Line harder rubber type case, and a couple of the black silicone type skin cases).

With the official case that should lock when closed, I only really ever had issue when it was in a bigger pocket / bag, where it could flap open, but since I've been using the skin type cases, I've found the odd instance where I may have had a call that I've not noticed (maybe listening to music on an mp3 player whilst out walking, then found the phone has been doing stuff - like making a call, or sending an email, or opening some other app.

So I've turned off gesture unlocking for the moment, and just use the button. Time will tell whether that's OK, or whether I return to the official stand case.
    08-05-13 11:02 AM
    I have gestures on and I've never unlocked it in my pocket and I'm a heavy heavy user and I get 15 hours of battery through my day and still have 40% left when I go to bed. Since the 10.1 update battery life is no longer a problem. They made this phone from great to incredible. Try it out and decide after

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:15 AM
    I have always used gestures on and found that during the summer I've been pocket dialing more and more. My solution was to put the simple password on now that 10.1 is out.
    08-05-13 11:58 AM
    Swipe to unlock. No case or pouch for my z10.
    No pocket dials and a nice battery life...
    crashtwenty likes this.
    08-05-13 12:02 PM
    Here's a trick to unlock the phone while swipe up is enabled (but not actually having to swipe up):

Put a finger on the top corner of the screen while pressing the top button. Release the top button and then your finger from the screen. Viola!

- aBBuser
    Omg it friggin works! Just make sure you are not on the bezel, or nothing else happens.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:32 PM
    I've never had any pocket dials either. I don't wear those umm skinny leg jeans either. That could be what's causing pocket dials lol. Too much body heat on the screen

08-07-13 03:53 AM
    I've never had any pocket dials either. I don't wear those umm skinny leg jeans either. That could be what's causing pocket dials lol. Too much body heat on the screen

I do wear them. Lol. And no. Not even then. Don't know why it happens.

crashtwenty likes this.
    08-08-13 03:50 PM
    Turn on unlock using the power button but also set a pass code which is on a timer. This way, say for 5 minutes, you can unlock device directly in to previous activity. But after that point, screen locks and you can use notifications in 10.2. Best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 04:29 PM
    Keep it in a case or a holster. Problem solved

Posted via CB10
    I second this. Case with a sleep magnet is the fastest way.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 05:54 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:54 PM
    The solution is very straightforward... get her an official BlackBerry holster.

The holster protects/ prevents accidental calls... it also puts the BlackBerry to sleep mode, conserving the battery while holstered.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:58 PM
    It really works...learn something new everybody...thanks

Posted via my storm trooper
    08-11-13 12:15 AM
    Your phone will only unlock in your pocket when you are doing an activity where you start to sweat, and the pocket that sits against your thigh gets slightly wet. If the screen of your phone is towards your thigh, you get pocket dials.

I don't know if you all know this but you could use your tongue to unlock your phone. Once wet, your pocket is like a huge tongue. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 12:38 AM
    Pocket dial isn't an issue at all. Always had gestures on. Don't worry. It won't be a problem

Mine took pocket pictures, like 50 of them. It was over 100 degrees outside though, that's why it unlocked itself.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1047
    08-11-13 12:44 AM
    I prefer don't put your phone in pocket without cover the screen, not recommended... use holster..
    12-28-13 10:09 PM
    I don't recommend using the power button to unlock. Before, I turned off the swipe up unlock to save battery. The difference in battery performance is negligible and the constant use of the power button caused it to become very loose. Now my phone restarts which the slightest touch of the power button.
    12-29-13 07:40 AM