Just finished streaming a 450mb movie off my blackberry z10's data tethered to my laptop and the phone said I received approx 108,000kb and sent approx 3000kb data. That means I used less data than I was supposed to. Anybody else on the bell network experience anything similar?
    02-21-13 03:01 AM
    Streamed from where? Could the streaming server be doing adaptive streaming?
    02-21-13 03:31 AM
    this makes me think..
    i am on rogers
    i had an iphone 3GS, switched to BB 9780 and did not get data (obviously, no BIS data on my account)
    called in and they added APN3CON (a soc code) to my account that would enable BIS data
    then my 9780 worked and my sim would work on ANY phone and have data (could go to iphone 3GS and get data again)

maybe as long as you have BIS on your account it will always compress data since it goes through RIM?
    02-21-13 04:29 AM
    I'm on bell and has a BIS plan. I gave not changed my data habits at all and im already out of Sara and it's half way through my billing cycle. So personally I don't see any data compression at all.

It has made me turn off my data and leave on my wifi wherever I go. Do my friends BBM me and if it doesn't go through then they try me. It has become VERY annoying and I hope something can change about it

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 06:21 AM
    I'm with bell and since upgrading I've noticed no data compression, been on BlackBerry plan for years. Only 4 days into my new billing cycle and already at half a gb used of data and in all honesty I haven't even done that much surfing or streaming.

While at home I'm always connected to the wifi

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 09:14 AM
    Streamed this movie --> The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia

If you scroll down it says the video is 444.5MB but my phone didn't even come close to that. It was in the 100's range.

Streamed from where? Could the streaming server be doing adaptive streaming?
    02-21-13 11:23 AM

If you scroll down it says the video is 444.5MB but my phone didn't even come close to that. It was in the 100's range.
    When your Bill comes in at the end of the month, go into your detailed billing area, find the exact date and time you watched the movie on your bill and see how many MB it says or. That will be the only reliable way to tell, not the method you used.

The reason I say this is that Blackberry executives have said over and over again that the z10 does not support BIS. It will work on it just like any android or iphone, but it doesn't support it.
    02-21-13 01:58 PM
    The flv file is that big. The measurement is wrong. There is no way to compress this flv video file to 1/4 of its original size on the fly with a proxy server. Even if it was, how would it be decompressed on the other side, the computer?
    02-21-13 02:09 PM
    this makes me think..
    i am on rogers
    i had an iphone 3GS, switched to BB 9780 and did not get data (obviously, no BIS data on my account)
    called in and they added APN3CON (a soc code) to my account that would enable BIS data
    then my 9780 worked and my sim would work on ANY phone and have data (could go to iphone 3GS and get data again)

maybe as long as you have BIS on your account it will always compress data since it goes through RIM?
    I'm with Rogers and I have that code added. It will not compress your data usage on the z10

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:23 PM
    I've found out yesterday that the BlackBerry maps app needs a data connection to work.

Knowing this I can see how I burnt through my data so quickly. Next month I'm not going to touch it and see how my data usage goes.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 07:27 AM
    I f this is true then it's good news for sure! For me anyways

But from my experience I'm not noticing it, and if it is, it is no where near how much it was compressed as before

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 10:49 AM

Its 99% going to be doing adaptive streaming. Most flash streams will do this, its detected a slower connection speed and switched you to a lower quality version. You are not going to be streaming the full 444Mb version.
    02-24-13 03:48 AM