Except hockey, THE greatest sport of all Eh!

Posted via CB10
    Now, we love our Canadian cousins (we really do!) but...

Hockey over here is a girls game. Played by girls. Outdoors. With no pads or helmets and hard sticks and a VERY hard ball.

This does not mean it is not violent. I have personally played a boys vs girls game of field hockey and it was the most terrifying sporting experience of my life.

I have got into some rather excitable moments playing football or rugby league but at least you are punching each other using (sort of) Queensbury rules rather than having your shins, groin or head broken by an over excited violent lady.

This is very different to North American ice hockey where many people beat ten bells out of each other but they have far too much protection going on. American Football is very similar.

Top and bottom is that in Great Britain & Ireland (the Aussies and other cricket playing nations are very similar) we don't play games where it takes longer to put the equipment on than actually play the sport. This is for a number of reasons but specifically:

1) We can't afford it and we never could. Forget any talk of Britain ever being rich, the normal people invented these games and they were usually encouraged by factory owners as a distraction. All our games basically involve a ball and perhaps something to hit it with. We may also hit the opposition rather than the ball and it is expected that they should have shin pads and no more.
    2) Padding to us is a bit wet (it took a sea change of opinion just to get helmets in cricket in the 90's when people were regularly being hit on the head at 130 Mph - I was hospitalised in the 80's and nearly lost an eye from a cricket ball!)
    3) To us it is actually really funny when someone gets hurt in action (as long as it's not life or career threatening) - I know, we're weird. We like the crunch and there has to be risk. You want to hear our Rugby League commentator when someone is bleeding 'Oh, there it is, there's claret on the field!!'
    4) By spending all that time getting ready you are slowing the game up and we need a post match pint. This will lead to general merriment.

So there you are world, that's us all over I'm afraid...!
    06-03-13 05:55 PM
    OK, the biggest English issue is their HUGE inferiority complex. Ask any American who's ever had to work there, or Brits who have happily left. Especially engineers and architects. There is a deeply ingrained serf mentality. Essentially... the nail that sicks up is beat down. Commonwealth countries are sad echoes of this pathetic idiocy. Canada is almost free -- being close to America -- and have turned the queen into a mascot. But places like Australia and Indian have a long way to go before they are free. In the US we have what's called "The Title of Nobility Clause" in the Constitution. It basically says: "If you think you are better than anyone else, you have to prove it." No titles allowed.

That's why the crippled son of a blacksmith -- Nathanael Greene -- crushed British General Tarleton at Cowpens; the son of an apothecary -- Benedict Arnold -- kicked the crap out of "Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne" at Saratoga; and the ******* son of a Scottish Merchant and a Jewish hooker -- Alexander Hamilton -- fought a brilliant guerrilla war against Lord Cornwallis until he was forced to hide in Yorktown where he cracked... and why, with the onset of the modern Olympics in 1894, the English were the ones to insist on purely amateur status... because they didn't want their delicate children of aristocracy to be beat by a bunch of working class kids. I do not have enough middle fingers to cover this issue.
    06-03-13 05:56 PM
    Erm, if you don't have enough middle fingers was counting a bit of a challenge during history?
    06-03-13 05:57 PM
    whatever the british might have invented was invented by another generation. England is a scab on the armpit of the universe, currently. Nearly as bad as Toronto.
    Bless you! And all who sail in you!

What, like the wheel? No, I'm kidding, we didn't.

Or did we....
    06-03-13 05:59 PM
    Now, we love our Canadian cousins (we really do!) but...

Hockey over here is a girls game. Played by girls. Outdoors. With no pads or helmets and hard sticks and a VERY hard ball.

This does not mean it is not violent. I have personally played a boys vs girls game of field hockey and it was the most terrifying sporting experience of my life.

I have got into some rather excitable moments playing football or rugby league but at least you are punching each other using (sort of) Queensbury rules rather than having your shins, groin or head broken by an over excited violent lady.

This is very different to North American ice hockey where many people beat ten bells out of each other but they have far too much protection going on. American Football is very similar.

Top and bottom is that in Great Britain & Ireland (the Aussies and other cricket playing nations are very similar) we don't play games where it takes longer to put the equipment on than actually play the sport. This is for a number of reasons but specifically:

1) We can't afford it and we never could. Forget any talk of Britain ever being rich, the normal people invented these games and they were usually encouraged by factory owners as a distraction. All our games basically involve a ball and perhaps something to hit it with. We may also hit the opposition rather than the ball and it is expected that they should have shin pads and no more.
    2) Padding to us is a bit wet (it took a sea change of opinion just to get helmets in cricket in the 90's when people were regularly being hit on the head at 130 Mph - I was hospitalised in the 80's and nearly lost an eye from a cricket ball!)
    3) To us it is actually really funny when someone gets hurt in action (as long as it's not life or career threatening) - I know, we're weird. We like the crunch and there has to be risk. You want to hear our Rugby League commentator when someone is bleeding 'Oh, there it is, there's claret on the field!!'
    4) By spending all that time getting ready you are slowing the game up and we need a post match pint. This will lead to general merriment.

So there you are world, that's us all over I'm afraid...!
    Ice hockey requires you to wear that much protection because if you didn't you would simply die. I personally wouldn't want to see a 6'9" Zdeno Chara coming and me in full flight without any protection! The game is much, much rougher and faster than it was back in the 60s and 70s, plus getting hit with a 120mph slap shot hurts like hell, and twice as much without equipment!

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    06-03-13 06:06 PM
    Ice hockey requires you to wear that much protection because if you didn't you would simply die. I personally wouldn't want to see a 6'9" Zdeno Chara coming and me in full flight without any protection! The game is much, much rougher and faster than it was back in the 60s and 70s, plus getting hit with a 120mph slap shot hurts like hell, and twice as much without equipment!

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    Mate, I believe it, I've seen it on TV, it's mental! We do have ice hockey over here and in some cities it's quite popular but the prevailing culture is no pads or equipment.

It's a weird hangover of the stiff upper lip, to be honest, it's seen as more manly to be twonked and knocked out and if you don't get up and crack on you're a bit girly. I once saw a prop forward for Leeds Rhinos (RL team) be knocked out on the pitch twice in 5 minutes in tackles and he refused to come off and went straight back in there.

Is that safe? No. Did we love it. Yes.
    06-03-13 06:12 PM
    OK, the biggest English issue is their HUGE inferiority complex. Ask any American who's ever had to work there, or Brits who have happily left. Especially engineers and architects. There is a deeply ingrained serf mentality. Essentially... the nail that sicks up is beat down. Commonwealth countries are sad echoes of this pathetic idiocy. Canada is almost free -- being close to America -- and have turned the queen into a mascot. But places like Australia and Indian have a long way to go before they are free. In the US we have what's called "The Title of Nobility Clause" in the Constitution. It basically says: "If you think you are better than anyone else, you have to prove it." No titles allowed.

That's why the crippled son of a blacksmith -- Nathanael Greene -- crushed British General Tarleton at Cowpens; the son of an apothecary -- Benedict Arnold -- kicked the crap out of "Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne" at Saratoga; and the ******* son of a Scottish Merchant and a Jewish hooker -- Alexander Hamilton -- fought a brilliant guerrilla war against Lord Cornwallis until he was forced to hide in Yorktown where he cracked... and why, with the onset of the modern Olympics in 1894, the English were the ones to insist on purely amateur status... because they didn't want their delicate children of aristocracy to be beat by a bunch of working class kids. I do not have enough middle fingers to cover this issue.
    Aha! I've worked it out, you want back in. Your sick of watching all those Commonwealth Games from the sidelines. I know, it's tough!

Well, it'll be tricky (I suspect not all your countrymen will agree with you) but let's see how you go on.

Please send a letter of request to:

Her Majesty The Queen
    Buckingham Palace
    London
    UK

You should hear within 4 weeks (she's very busy).
    06-03-13 06:23 PM
    I've lived in England, Ireland and Scotland -- you can absolutely keep England. You need a new invasion.
    06-03-13 06:27 PM
    Mate, I believe it, I've seen it on TV, it's mental! We do have ice hockey over here and in some cities it's quite popular but the prevailing culture is no pads or equipment.

It's a weird hangover of the stiff upper lip, to be honest, it's seen as more manly to be twonked and knocked out and if you don't get up and crack on you're a bit girly. I once saw a prop forward for Leeds Rhinos (RL team) be knocked out on the pitch twice in 5 minutes in tackles and he refused to come off and went straight back in there.

Is that safe? No. Did we love it. Yes.
    My fault brother, I thought you were taking shots at hockey for wearing tons of protection! We have street hockey in North America as well, but it's not nearly as physical as field hockey. Lacrosse on the other hand...

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    06-03-13 07:06 PM
    What's great about the UK?

Posted via CB10
    It's the Greatest Britain in the world.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    06-03-13 07:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Best korma I've ever had was in Rickmansworth.

Posted via CB10
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    06-04-13 12:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Compared to mainland Europe? Nothing...

Funnily enough when I got my laptop in 2008, the UK never received the last iteration of the model that I got.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 01:37 AM
    UK is great because more people there knows how to appreciate Blackberry than in the US!
    06-04-13 02:38 AM
    It's hard to read facts between the xenophobic bull****, but has anyone posted the source of the data for these charts?

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 02:59 AM
    It's hard to read facts between the xenophobic bull****, but has anyone posted the source of the data for these charts?

Posted via CB10
    You want facts? Leave now, while you still can.
    06-04-13 06:13 PM
    And virtually every popular sport in the world..

Posted via CB10
    With the exception of Basketball and Hockey, both invented in Canada! Funny how that goes, BlackBerry.....also a Canadian made company!

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    06-04-13 06:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    They gave you the great language you speak today.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 07:02 PM
    I think Canada still holds the title for most hardcore sports

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    Don't think so mate. Ever heard of Shinty? Makes ice hockey look like ballet.

Posted via CB10 on my Sexy Z10 STL100-2 running OS 10.1.0.2354
    06-05-13 01:13 PM
    By export you meant colonization : )
    Exactly my learned friend. Us brits have a lot to do with the geopolitical situation the world finds itself in today.

06-05-13 01:16 PM
    A rugby player would not survive a hit by an NFL lineman without equipment. Not sure if anyone would be dumb enough to try it.

Sent from the future on my Z10.
    An NFL lineman couldn't catch a rugby player mate. Rugby players can actually run further than 10 yards without needing substituted.

bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    06-05-13 01:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry just overtook Samsung that's what's great

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 01:20 PM
    Yeah, I thought it was dentistry they had to invent.

Relax England, I kid I kid............ Maybe
    Dentistry was another of our gifts to the world so you have us Brits to thank for that face full of veneers.

06-05-13 01:20 PM
    whatever the british might have invented was invented by another generation. England is a scab on the armpit of the universe, currently. Nearly as bad as Toronto.
    Tad harsh old chap.

06-05-13 01:22 PM
    I don't think the overwrought ones get the irony...!
    06-05-13 03:29 PM
    My fault brother, I thought you were taking shots at hockey for wearing tons of protection! We have street hockey in North America as well, but it's not nearly as physical as field hockey. Lacrosse on the other hand...

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    You see? Another girls game which is actually lethal.

I'd challenge any big tough gum chewin' guy to take on a girls Lacrosse team and then pull up a chair and await the comedy value...

However, I suspect any NFL players insurance wouldn't cover it.
    06-05-13 03:32 PM
83 1234