Hello Everyone,
    We manage a U.S. Verizon account with about 30 BlackBerries on it. I am trying to reduce text messaging costs by encouraging the use of BBM instead about half are Z10s and have are BB7 devices.

It's my understanding that BBM over Verizon counts as data, not text messages. Is this correct?

Is there a certain way that you need use it to make sure that it counts as data?

Has anyone else been through this? What did you learn?

Are you familiar with any Verizon documents (ie on the Verizon site) that would officially address this?

Thanks,
    Jack
    05-01-13 10:10 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    We manage a U.S. Verizon account with about 30 BlackBerries on it. I am trying to reduce text messaging costs by encouraging the use of BBM instead about half are Z10s and have are BB7 devices.

It's my understanding that BBM over Verizon counts as data, not text messages. Is this correct?

Is there a certain way that you need use it to make sure that it counts as data?

Has anyone else been through this? What did you learn?

Are you familiar with any Verizon documents (ie on the Verizon site) that would officially address this?

Thanks,
    Jack
    BBM is a complete data service, on the Legacy devices ie 9900 you need a BIS/BES plan for your data to work. However on the Z10 it only needs basic data as with BB10 BIS has gone the way of the dodo.

Unfortunately I am a Canadian so I don't know to much about the inner workings of Verizon, however I found the Business website for them for you

Secure Business Email Services & Solutions | Verizon Wireless
    05-01-13 10:15 AM
    I was the Verizon Admin for my company with about 30 BBs. It always works as data for both BB7 and 10 devices. Always. No worries. The only difference between the two is that BB7 devices used BIS which is not available for 10 devices. You only lose a little data compression but not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 10:21 AM
    BBM to BBM isn't supposed to be free?
    05-01-13 11:31 AM
    Hugh???

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-01-13 11:32 AM
    from one BB to another BB using BBM
    05-01-13 11:33 AM
    The New Blackberry Z10: ReDesigned, ReEngineered, ReInvented and ReBOOTING..LOL
    05-01-13 11:39 AM
    What r u talking about? It's always been over data. Always. Free is a relative term. It's free if ur on wifi. But otherwise you do have to pay for a data service in ur phone like any other phone. Which costs per month. So in affect. No. Not free then. And neither is any thing else at that point. On less again, Ur on wifi. Buy NO. There is no other charges for using bbm. Period. Ever.

So like I said, relative.

Posted with best phone ever, my Z10 on CB
    05-01-13 11:57 AM
    oh well, I was under the impression that when you communicate between 2 peoples via BBM that was at no charge of data.
    05-01-13 12:32 PM
    It used very little data. Hardly noticeable.

* OREO Z10 *
    05-01-13 12:35 PM
    from one BB to another BB using BBM
    I thought this was meant as a joke, a play on words like "Free mobile to mobile minutes". I was laughing until I read more and noticed this person was serious.

To the OP, BBM is always data. Therefore communication information (like who messages were sent to, and when) do not appear on any billing statements either. There is no such thing as "BB to BB free". Usage of data can only be saved when not using it OTA, like when connected to Wifi.
    05-01-13 01:35 PM
    Maybe I had Iphone for too long cause when messaging iphone to iphone it was free no data charged
    05-01-13 03:49 PM
    Maybe I had Iphone for too long cause when messaging iphone to iphone it was free no data charged
    No, that still used your data plan. (unless you were on WiFi, same as BB)

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 11:11 AM