Just got my new z10. In the process of setting it up. Have noticed something odd. If I remove my sim card then BBM works fine. If I insert my sim card then BBM does not work anymore. I have a data plan on my sim which is functional. When the sim is inserted then BBM is the only service that doesn't work.

Any suggestions on what is happening?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 07:23 AM
    I hope someone can help me with this. I am kind of lost. More exploration shows that I am able to use BBM voice, but not able to send or receive text messages. Also, the blackberry icon in the top right hand corner is no longer there when I have inserted the SIM... BlackBerry world is working fine. Would appreciate if anyone could help me. Thanks
    02-09-13 10:15 AM
    BBM still requires in BIS data plan.
    02-09-13 10:42 AM
    So we dont need BIS data plan for normal usage with the z10 , but we do need bis data plan for bbm ?
    02-09-13 10:46 AM
    @AlexXF: I was under the impression that BB10 does not require any BIS anymore. CrackBerry forum is full of posts that confirm this....
    02-09-13 11:04 AM
    BIS is not required. When I got my Z10 I had to wait a while for my new o2 micro sim to have my number ported from 9900 sized sim and to be provisioned. My phone is an unlocked version and so keen was I to begin exploring it that I inserted my 3uk sim into it an BBM worked just fine.

My 3uk sim has never had a BIS plan.

To the OP, was your sim in the new phone when you set it up for the first time?
    02-09-13 11:12 AM
    @portal, take a look into thread with Bell users - there is a explanation, BIS is still requires for BBM.

But some service providers (Vodafone, 3UK) just combine BIS+Standard data plan, so you do not need to purchase separate BIS data plan. This issue was been tested by me on Vodafone CZ and O2 CZ service providers. If there is no BIS on data plan, BBM does not works.

At Vodafone CZ BIS data plan can be enabled over standard data plan, it costs nothing.
    02-09-13 11:19 AM
    @Hazysky: My SIM was in my BlackBerry Bold 9900. I initiated my Z10 without a SIM card over WiFi, and BBM worked without any issues. I even had the BlackBerry logo in the upper right hand corner without SIM card in the phone. After inserting the SIM, BBM message stopped working, and the logo was also gone. I actually have BIS on my SIM Card I have in Z10.

How long did you wait for before Z10 BBM started to work properly? Perhaps I need to call my SIM card service provider on Monday and ask them to cancel my BIS subscription... (I had unlocked Bold 9900 and unlocked Z10. I am in Brunei)
    02-09-13 11:27 AM
    Hmm this is going to be terribly confusing. I changed my 500mb blackberry plan with o2 over to a normal plan with 1Gb of data. It won't come into effect until 19th February so it will be interesting to see if my BBM will work or not then.

It would be best if all the networks did it in the same way.
    02-09-13 11:37 AM
    @portal

I'm gonna make a suggestion, I have no idea if it will work or not but perhaps try wiping the Z10 and setting it up with your sim in and wifi off. But before that turn off your wifi and see if it will then use the sim.

I could not get my BBM to work on wifi only strangely. Yet once working via 3uk sim it then continued to work on wifi after removing the sim.

I did a security wipe before inserting my o2 sim and set up all over again.
    02-09-13 11:44 AM
    @hazysky

Thanks. Do you suggests I have the bis removed from my sim before I wipe my BlackBerry? Or start as it is now with the bis service still on?

02-09-13 11:56 AM
    No. If you're happy with what you get on your BIS plan only change it if you cannot get this sim to work at all.

I'd also speak to your provider if I was you to see if this sim should definitely be working with your Z10 or not.
    02-09-13 12:03 PM
    just tried BBm voice here in Canada works very nice can't wait to try BBM video
    02-09-13 12:11 PM
    I have been having my share of problems with BBM as well...Hope that Crackberry starts a section for BBM as well...
    Now the problem that i have been having is that the contacts that i added through NFC, there is just two of them yet, i cannot see the video chat option on my phone...they see me available for video chat and when they send me video call request i can reply but i can't seem to be able to initiate the call...

02-09-13 12:31 PM
    ok thank for u
    02-09-13 01:59 PM
    I remember that I saw a post here that mentioned how to register your bb10 device from setting. I have been looking for it but have not found it.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, or perhaps I thought I saw something that was a register option but was something else. have been searching for it but havent found it yet

02-09-13 08:44 PM
    How long does it take from when a carrier deletes the PIN from their blackberry service to the point when blackberry is "Freed"?

02-13-13 04:05 AM
    How long does it take from when a carrier deletes the PIN from their blackberry service to the point when blackberry is "Freed"?
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you expand on your question or restate it?
    02-13-13 04:16 AM
    Ok, so after I had my BIS subscription terminated, I saw that my PIN was still registered with the carrier (I was able to log in the BlackBerry web e-mail service and see that my PIN was the previous Bold 9900). I had to go through endless calls in order to get them to have my PIN released / deleting my BIS account with them. They finally did that (I am no longer able to log into the carrier BlackBerry web e-mail service). I then wiped my account and started up the Z10 with the SIM card in. Despite this, I still am not able to connect to BBM, as it says that there is no data connection (I am also connected to WiFi). So I was thinking that perhaps the issue (when I first started this thread) was that the carrier had not released my 9900 PIN and perhaps that was the reason I was not able to send BBM messages and also never got the BB icon. Now after all this, I still don't have the BB icon and I am thinking perhaps it takes hours before the deletion is detected and I am able to use BBM again on Z10...

Hope this is clearer
    02-13-13 05:24 AM
    Ok, so after I had my BIS subscription terminated, I saw that my PIN was still registered with the carrier (I was able to log in the BlackBerry web e-mail service and see that my PIN was the previous Bold 9900). I had to go through endless calls in order to get them to have my PIN released / deleting my BIS account with them. They finally did that (I am no longer able to log into the carrier BlackBerry web e-mail service). I then wiped my account and started up the Z10 with the SIM card in. Despite this, I still am not able to connect to BBM, as it says that there is no data connection (I am also connected to WiFi). So I was thinking that perhaps the issue (when I first started this thread) was that the carrier had not released my 9900 PIN and perhaps that was the reason I was not able to send BBM messages and also never got the BB icon. Now after all this, I still don't have the BB icon and I am thinking perhaps it takes hours before the deletion is detected and I am able to use BBM again on Z10...
    Yes, this does help. IMHO your old BIS account has nothing to do with your issue. If you're not getting the four-dot BlackBerry "network indicator" at the top-right of your screen, you're having another issue altogether that *doesn't* relate to legacy BIS services. Are you using your Z10 on a carrier network, Wifi only or a combination of those two? If carrier, what carrier are you using and what data plan do you have? Thanks.
    02-13-13 05:30 AM
    I am in Brunei. The carriers name is DSTcom. I have a 1.5 GB data plan on monthly contract. I have the DSTcom SIM card in the phone and I am also connected to the WiFi network (after I wiped the phone, the OS detected the SIM card and then later in the setup process asked me for WiFi details.

Funny thing is, if I remove the SIM and run the Z10 to WiFi, I get teh 4 BB dots. If I use a UK O2 SIM card I have (which by the way have no data plan), I still get the 4 dots....As soon as I plug in the DSTcom card, the dots are gone I can not use BBM anymore... I am completely puzzled by this
    02-13-13 05:36 AM
    I am in Brunei. The carriers name is DSTcom. I have a 1.5 GB data plan on monthly contract. I have the DSTcom SIM card in the phone and I am also connected to the WiFi network (after I wiped the phone, the OS detected the SIM card and then later in the setup process asked me for WiFi details.

Funny thing is, if I remove the SIM and run the Z10 to WiFi, I get teh 4 BB dots. If I use a UK O2 SIM card I have (which by the way have no data plan), I still get the 4 dots....As soon as I plug in the DSTcom card, the dots are gone I can not use BBM anymore... I am completely puzzled by this
    OK, this *does* make sense. Let me guess, DSTcom has not launched BlackBerry 10 yet, correct? Can you try turning off "Mobile Network" and just leave it on Wifi, do you get four-dot BlackBerry indicator then?

I think this may also have something to do with your locale. Users on Etisalat appear to be having similar issues:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lat-du-770896/
    02-13-13 05:43 AM
    Indeed, DSTcom has not introduced BB10 (although with the pure data connection, does that matter?)
    When I turn off the mobile network (with the SIM Card still in the Z10), and connect to WiFi network only, I still don't get the 4BBdots
    02-13-13 05:47 AM
    Indeed, DSTcom has not introduced BB10 (although with the pure data connection, does that matter?)
    When I turn off the mobile network (with the SIM Card still in the Z10), and connect to WiFi network only, I still don't get the 4BBdots
    OK, normally with a pure data connection, you should have full services. However, I think that your BlackBerry services are being limited by your locale as determined based on your SIM card. It is probably for non-technical reasons. This is unfortunate.
    02-13-13 05:57 AM
    I do have full services. E-mail, chat, BB World, even BBM voice (have not tried BBM video as I don't anyone who has Z10). The weird thing is that it is only the BBM chat that does not work combined with the 4BBdots. I would have imagined that if BBM would be blocked, all aspects of BBM would be blocked. The fact that part of them are working make me wonder that something is falling through the cracks.

On another note, I am p****d off on my network provider for blocking data stream on BB10. There is no issue with Android or iPhone. Take a SIM, plug it in and then use it. For some reason, they always make trouble with BlackBerry phone....

So I am going to do this now: plug in O2 UK SIM card, wipe Z10 and then when it starts up (there will be no data connection as I don't have a data plan on O2 SIM card), I will connect it to UK VPN. Not sure if that will make the difference or not.
    02-13-13 06:39 AM
44 12