Ask anyone who has ever used BBM and then been forced to use WhatsApp or iMessenger etc. and the majority will tell you that nothing compares to BBM. It's instant, reliable (yes it's has gone down a few times, but so have the other ones) and it's always on! I use WhatsApp because I have to, due to the fact that most of my family are on iPhone's or Androids and half of the time they don't get my message unless they boot up WhatsApp. Very very frustrating. I've also had the occasion where I've sent a text to my daughter when I left work and I beat it home, 1/2hr later!! It can be very slow and unreliable at times. BBM is always on and always works, and that's why serious professionals depend on it.
    Yes, to answer the original question, I think it will kill WhatsApp. The only reason my friends and family and myself included have it is because they don't have BBM. As of June that won't be the case. End of WhatsApp.
    05-21-13 11:08 AM
    The problem is how much of BBM will make into an APP. BBM is part of a BlackBerry, not sure that as just an app it will have near the functionality on an iOS or Andorid Device. And let's face it BBRY can not just give this app away and host all these new users for free on their network.... they are going to need something to make it pay for its self. Advertisements in App? Fees for premium features - like voice or video features? Charge for # of message over the free amount? Or is this a limited time offer.

If anyone can get the full BBM experience for free - it might do good against ALL the other messaging apps. But if there are limits are additional cost.. it will be a hard sell.
    05-21-13 11:12 AM
    The problem is how much of BBM will make into an APP. BBM is part of a BlackBerry, not sure that as just an app it will have near the functionality on an iOS or Andorid Device. And let's face it BBRY can not just give this app away and host all these new users for free on their network.... they are going to need something to make it pay for its self. Advertisements in App? Fees for premium features - like voice or video features? Charge for # of message over the free amount? Or is this a limited time offer.

If anyone can get the full BBM experience for free - it might do good against ALL the other messaging apps. But if there are limits are additional cost.. it will be a hard sell.
    You are describing Whatsapp in the beginning. They gave free service to literally everyone, and years after they make people pay. My guess is that BBM will be free for about 3 years (while climbing to #3 in the OS/smartphone war) and then make people pay.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:20 AM
    i would deleted all other chat apps like whatsapp, skype and viber and ask all my contacts to install bbm so we can communicate...

now what bb can do is allow voice between a bb device and a non bb device... but not to a non bb to non bb device... for that they have to pay... same goes for video... bb to non bb and vice versa but not between two non bb device unless they buy the premium account. coz i'd hate to communicate with a non bb user for voice or video using viber or skype...
    05-22-13 08:28 AM
    Not to mention it's free as opposed to Whatsapp.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 via CB10
    WhatsApp is free, it is for me I'm heaving it for lifetime, it all depends when u started use WhatsApp BlackBerry need to make BBM attractive for every platform so that everybody wants to use it, and they must pray that WhatsApp is not going to implement video call before they do, otherwise they won't make it

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 08:39 AM
    WhatsApp is free, it is for me I'm heaving it for lifetime, it all depends when u started use WhatsApp BlackBerry need to make BBM attractive for every platform so that everybody wants to use it, and they must pray that WhatsApp is not going to implement video call before they do, otherwise they won't make it

Posted via CB10
    I humbly disagree with your statement. Even if whatsapp gets video it hardly means bbm won't survive on cross platform. A few reasons why they may do well:
    - whatsapp has huge privacy issues as discussed by other posts.
    - bbm could be the app of choice for corporations who are using BlackBerry servers and have employees using diff devices.
    -I'm wish fully thinking this move is all part of a larger plan by Thor. Ie integrating bbm with vehicles bis bluetooth or nfc for video chat etc.
    Just my two cents. But I like the idea and hope it pans out.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    05-22-13 08:45 AM
    It's a sign of desperation going cross platform. Just another reason not to buy a new blackberry if people wanted to switch.
    No it's really not

Posted via CB10
    bintheredundat likes this.
    05-22-13 08:46 AM
    Once BBM is available on other platforms, I will no longer respond to ppls texts and Whatsapp will be deleted.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 08:50 AM
    BBM is superior to any other application in its class, wait there is none in its class as BBM is above them all in its own class.
    cman5 likes this.
    05-22-13 09:00 AM
    Yup I can tell you firsthand, Whatsapp sucks. I can't wait to use BBM on my S3, just hope it won't be an awful experience like most apps over on the BB side of things when ported even native. I don't think BBRY has anything to lose. Their biggest competitor is Viber, Viber is great especially with the desktop app.
    05-22-13 09:08 AM
    They better market it dam well to ios and android users or cross platform bbm won't last long

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 09:29 AM
    In the past the only good reason to use BBM was that messages were encrypted. I do not know which others do that as well.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. There's a lot of good reasons. Number one is reliability. WhatsApp can be quite laggy and slow at times, it's server system and coding obviously isn't as efficient as BBM. The speed of BBM is phenomenal. I remember messaging once with someone a few thousand miles away and the "D" showed up even before I released the send button. That is IM. Not only that, the status updates and profiles are way cooler and easier to use and check. And my Whatsapp sure can't make video or voice calls unless I just haven't found out how yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 09:39 AM
    I forgot to mention the integrated calenders and lists with the BBM groups. BBM groups is really cool, Whatsapp doesn't do that nearly as nicely.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 09:40 AM
    They better market it dam well to ios and android users or cross platform bbm won't last long

Posted via CB10
    Marketing? C'mon. There goes that pig flying again. BBRY is very poor on all fronts, they have improved I would give them that. But when last did they deliver a knockout punch? Everything seems so lack luster. Only ppl seem enthused are Vivek and the CB crew.
    05-22-13 10:07 AM

They have BBM channel in beta. That's how they are gonna generate revenu, with a real time social network vs facebook and Twitter, which are all pulled information.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 12:58 PM
    I for one will get the BBM for IOS app as soon as it's available the summer, sold my z10 because of the restart issues and revered back to the iPhone 5. Once this BBM for IOS app is available, I will be able to reconnect to my BBM groups and friends. I hated to sell the z10 but enough is enough and no phone should restart in the middle of a phone call, not in 2013.
    05-22-13 02:25 PM
    The people in charge of Whatsapp must be dreading this announcement. It's just a matter of time before they're out of business, as BBM surely will be the go to app.
    cman5 likes this.
    05-22-13 02:36 PM
    But I think that's exactly why WhatsApp has done so well. Look at Skype. You have to manually add contacts in order to chat with them, which for many people, just adds one more step to deter them from using it.

I don't think security is a major issue. I don't see how WhatsApp storing our private contact information on their servers can impact our lives negatively in any way. What can they do?
    For one thing, WhatsApp can sell your contacts information to 3rd parties. No telling what 3rd parties might do with it - send spam, send advertising, send malware. Also WhatsApp has a terrible record for security - with non-encrypted messages which can be easily sniffed. I would never use WhatsApp myself.
    fastpitch_dad likes this.
    05-22-13 02:40 PM
    Not to mention it's free as opposed to Whatsapp.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 via CB10
    Come on, one dollar a year for Whatsapp is nothing, really...

What's more disadvantageous is Whatsapp's interface...just awful. That alone would make me switch to BBM on Android or iPhone, easy.

Posted via CB10
    FBA likes this.
    05-22-13 07:55 PM
    WhatsApp might not be too worried about BBM at this point as it seems that Google may soon own it.

http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/i...yones-privacy/

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 12:01 AM
    I don't get why so many people on CB are saying that BBM going cross-platform will make the likes of WhatsApp, Viber and Skype redundant.

What does BBM do that the big three don't? What's so special about it?
    Well for one thing - Whatsapp is written like junk....and works poorly, at best. It also costs money....and not worth its weight in waste. Farewell and good riddance to Whatsapp!
    05-23-13 01:20 AM
    Oh.. that by itself is gonna make me abandon whatsapp like crazy in a second.

Pls bbm let me do that. Anyone who refuses to Download it will no longer be my friend lol.

Doctor Who Channel C000C1253
    05-23-13 06:43 AM
    I do understand your point. But as noted above, people in professions with confidential Info could be at risk.

Namely from info being collected, stored and sold off.

If I'm in your contact list and you add whatsapp, I get added to their server without me consenting to anything. I have no way of knowing you just uploaded my info from your phone to their server.

WhatsApp breaches privacy laws - Technology & Science - CBC News

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    I think it will be great for BBM to read the contacts and show if the person has a BBM account or installed the app. The user should then manually send a request to add to BBM list to communicate .
    05-23-13 07:37 AM
    Yup I can tell you firsthand, Whatsapp sucks. I can't wait to use BBM on my S3, just hope it won't be an awful experience like most apps over on the BB side of things when ported even native. I don't think BBRY has anything to lose. Their biggest competitor is Viber, Viber is great especially with the desktop app.
    Viber is really superior to whatsapp or any other. The desktop integration is excellent! The video on desktop is already on beta.
    05-23-13 07:40 AM
49 12