Hey Guys,

So i Was reading the latest leaks post on CrackBerry, and I noticed a possible error. In the Antenna specs it is listed as below.

Radio: Quad Band HSPA+ / UMTS (850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz

Being that this is 5 bands, and supports the PentaBand bands doesn't that make it a Pentaband HSPA+ Device?

Wikipedia defines penta band as: The term penta-band describes a device that supports fivefrequency bands: 850, 900, 1900, 2100 and 1700/2100 (AWS) MHz bands.

The leaked spec sheet seems to support this?

Thanks for any input on this topic.
    12-21-12 01:09 PM
    band 4 is 1700 and 2100 I believe.
    12-21-12 01:42 PM
    On that list you have the following:

Band 1 - 2100
    Band 2 - 1900
    Band 4 - 1700
    Band 5 - 850
    Band 8 - 900

It might simply be a typo and it is actually pentaband or they might have regional variants e.g. in Europe the important ones would be band 1 and to a lesser extent band 8, whereas an American variant might drop band 8 and just get by with band 1 for global roaming over there and add in the band 4 instead.
    12-21-12 03:35 PM
    I am very confused when reading up on the latest specs for BB 10. Many sites are referring to it as a Quad-Band radio featuring HSPA+/UMTS, GSM/GPRS and Quad-Band LTE Band 2,4,5,13,17.

In reading this, I was under the impression that I would be able to use this phone (once unlocked of course) with Wind Mobile using HSPA 1700/2100, Band 4, non- LTE but also have the flexibility to move to our other National Providers with GSM 850/1900, LTE.

However, lately I have also been hearing about different versions of the Z10 phone being manufactured, one for the AWS/HSPA Band non-LTE, and 2 other versions which are LTE-capable but not AWS/HSPA compliant. If this is the case, this purchase will leave me locked-in with my present AWS/HSPA provider at the moment, which I was trying to avoid.

Has anyone else heard this? This would be a great disappointment to me as I am definitely looking at making my next cellular phone investment Quad-band or Pentaband to avoid these types of situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-05-13 07:30 PM
    I am very confused when reading up on the latest specs for BB 10. Many sites are referring to it as a Quad-Band radio featuring HSPA+/UMTS, GSM/GPRS and Quad-Band LTE Band 2,4,5,13,17.

In reading this, I was under the impression that I would be able to use this phone (once unlocked of course) with Wind Mobile using HSPA 1700/2100, Band 4, non- LTE but also have the flexibility to move to our other National Providers with GSM 850/1900, LTE.

However, lately I have also been hearing about different versions of the Z10 phone being manufactured, one for the AWS/HSPA Band non-LTE, and 2 other versions which are LTE-capable but not AWS/HSPA compliant. If this is the case, this purchase will leave me locked-in with my present AWS/HSPA provider at the moment, which I was trying to avoid.

Has anyone else heard this? This would be a great disappointment to me as I am definitely looking at making my next cellular phone investment Quad-band or Pentaband to avoid these types of situations.

Good questions... the specs have me perplexed as well. Seems there will be a number of Z10 variations out there. It would truly suck if RIM made x number of Z10's with a hodge-podge of different cell radios in each one. Is it really not possible to make a phone with all the frequency support?
    01-05-13 07:39 PM
    Seriously! If this is the case, I don't know what the reasoning would be behind it but the ultimate result would definitely be lost sales. I am impatiently waiting for the release of BB 10 but if the phones coming out are going to be this restrictive, I may not take the plunge. My present provider doesn't have LTE but the service is cheap. If this device is really great and I eventually decide to spend the extra few $ for LTE down the road, I want that flexibility.

01-05-13 07:48 PM
    The google nexus 4 is a pentaband and work with all carriers so it is possible to make 1 phone for all carriers.
    01-05-13 10:47 PM
    The google nexus 4 is a pentaband and work with all carriers so it is possible to make 1 phone for all carriers.
    You're right but I was specifically hoping for a BlackBerry

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    01-06-13 06:04 AM
    We'll have to wait for Jan 30 to know for sure. The US ones, based on FCC reports, appear to give up some HSPA frequencies for LTE support. Everything out now is leaks and speculation.
    01-06-13 09:07 AM
    Here's to counting down to Jan 30 for more accurate details. Hoping for the best!

01-06-13 09:12 AM
    Yes it is pentaband for HSPA+ but doesnt have LTE (Officially). I was hoping with paratek that they would be the first to do pentaband With LTE. I guess we will have to wait and see
    01-06-13 10:46 AM
    Well that also depends on where those carriers are. The Samsung Galaxy S3 for LTE in North America has a dual core processor and caters to specific LTE bands/frequencies. I bought my GS3 in India which has no LTE but has HSPA+ and uses the Quad Core chip. They also have an LTE version for European use. So its not only Blackberry, but Blackberry does usually seem to have more tailored variants for each market.
    I am planning to get rid of my GS3 and try to get a AWS compatible variant from Canada, and even the one without AWS (1700) support will work, as not many places outside Canada use this band. Either of the two versions available in Canada will work practically worldwide once unlocked, as most providers worldwide utilise the 2100 frequency, and even Wind Mobile does 2100 in addition to 1700, so service would be provided.
    Check the following data file for info on worldwide providers...
    http://connectedlife.gsma.com/wp-con...ngdecember.pdf
    04-05-13 09:30 AM
    Well that also depends on where those carriers are. The Samsung Galaxy S3 for LTE in North America has a dual core processor and caters to specific LTE bands/frequencies. I bought my GS3 in India which has no LTE but has HSPA+ and uses the Quad Core chip. They also have an LTE version for European use. So its not only Blackberry, but Blackberry does usually seem to have more tailored variants for each market.
    I am planning to get rid of my GS3 and try to get a AWS compatible variant from Canada, and even the one without AWS (1700) support will work, as not many places outside Canada use this band. Either of the two versions available in Canada will work practically worldwide once unlocked, as most providers worldwide utilise the 2100 frequency, and even Wind Mobile does 2100 in addition to 1700, so service would be provided.
    Check the following data file for info on worldwide providers...
    http://connectedlife.gsma.com/wp-con...ngdecember.pdf
    Good table although it is missing some LTE bands for Bell, Rogers, and Telus. But Wind does not have any WCDMA spectrum for 2100 (Band I). The listing they have in that table is their Band IV coverage (a.k.a. AWS) which works by using ~1700 MHz to upload and ~2100 MHz to download. That being said both models of the STL100-3 do seem to have Band I (2100) WCDMA support.
    04-12-13 07:52 AM