The (IMO) next smart business move forward for BlackBerry. The Z10 : as sales drop off as newer phones are released, BlackBerry revamps the same design, making a BlackBerry wifi Z, to market to younger audiences, no phone service, but everything else. Presto, as the ipod has aided Apple, so shall this. Of course, the Q can be retired in the same manner. Way too many positive connotations. Aaaaaand.... discuss..

Can almost reuse everything about the phone. Definitely feel a better battery should be the first consideration.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:10 PM
    The problem with this is a simple matter of product progression. The iPod came before the iPhone and the iPad. In other words a simple device, the iPod was "functionally" expanded and that is what helped Apple.

Your way is the reverse. Making a WiFi only Z10 is basically creating a device that is way behind the curve
    07-21-13 08:30 PM
    I think the Q could be a gateway to maintain the Qwerty. Both machines would help flood the market further with more BlackBerry products for less expense by re using the product. Plus, with the mfg allready hammered down by the supplier, ease of making a production run would be practically painless. Think of the increased BBM ing. Also, now think about the A10 in its retirement throws....... ah...ahhhh..... you thinking what I am? The wifi A. Quad GPU.... kids....games.....even bigger, The Playbook 2 so to speak. and on and on it goes. More market saturation, more BlackBerry, more money, more diverse, more R+D.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:39 PM
    Okay, gimme some I pod spec comparison to an "I pod" Z 10 wifi as its specs stand now. 4" (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch IPS "retina" display with a 1136x640 native resolution (326 ppi), dual cameras -- a 5 megapixel rear and a front-facing 1.2 megapixel ,support for Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n Wi-Fi (both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies)
    The iPod touch (5th Gen) is powered by a 1 GHz dual-core A5 processor, has 512 MB of RAM, and has 32 GB or 64 GB of flash storage.
    A retired Z has better specs, low cost of products rather than make a new one and take the chance of it not catching on. Lower risk to the company with a chance of increased market share, and establishing the brand before the kids need to use a full phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:58 PM
    1) Comparing the specs of the iPod (which is not a smartphone) to the Z10 (which is) is well, just asinine.

2) The point that you are missing is that it would be completely ridiculous for BlackBerry to start producing an iPod clone, especially if the are going to use their flagship device as the base. Nothing says a device is a failure like removing it's core functions and selling it as something new. Apple did not create the iPhone and then say "Hey, let's take out the phone, give it a new name and get it to market. We'll make a fortune!"

3) The LAST thing they (BBRY) should be doing at this point is producing technology that is essentially passe, done to death by companies that do it better (Playbook ring any bells), and offers absolutely NO financial upside for them.
    07-21-13 10:28 PM