Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 1oo1
  • 3 Post By brian_peterson
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 push email

i read that BB10 does not have push email anymore, and whatever it using to get emails (instantaneously i hope?) wastes battery quite fast? is that true? also i forward all my email to my .blackberry email, are those instantaneous? really want to know because i love how bb email are instantaneous. thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius

I believe it depends on the mail provider in regards to how quickly it comes to the phone. Unsure about the battery aspect though. Not sure why it was demand more battery.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Crackberry needs a BB10 mythbuster series.
    DuexNoir and twstd.reality like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Let me be clear. BB 10 supports two protocols for PUSH email.

1) Microsoft ActiveSync (very popular with companies and some web mail providers)
    2) IMAP IDLE

Some web mail providers support both, wheras others like Google are dropping ActiveSync in favor of IMAP IDLE.

I think your .blackberry email is going to be deprecated, and you should use gmail, outlook.com or something like that with the Z10. It would not make sense to use .blackberry email with the BB10 OS.

BB 10 supports IMAP IDLE. If you think your Google App or Android Mail app is using something proprietary (which some have hysterically claimed on this forum) you are all wrong.

IMAP IDLE is what Google uses for all APPS for their phones.

Both ActiveSync and IMAP IDLE work on a similar long standing HTTP request but with tons of optimizations built in. They both are light on the battery compared to their bad rap years ago. Not as good as BlackBerry's old PUSH technology. But still good. You can expect either mail technology to be fast. Within a few seconds. Instant like old BB OS Push? Close enough that consumers no longer care.

The new LTE radio, dual core, and large screen are your power vampires, not PUSH email (comparatively)

Thus BB 10 uses both those PUSH technologies and nothing more. There is POP support but that is on a polling bases that you can set.
    Thanked by 3:
    1oo1 (02-04-2013),  europolska00 (02-05-2013),  goku_vegeta (02-04-2013) 
    MattUK, M.Rizk and europolska00 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

right now i forward everything to my hotmail and then from hotmail to .blackberry mail. i do this because the hotmail push to blackberry seem to lag behind by up to a whole day (i have 9860 right now), and .blackberry emails are instantaneous. also i dont use any of the google services apart from chat, so what do you guys recommend me do based on this? my main email is still hotmail
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by brian_peterson View Post
    Let me be clear. BB 10 supports two protocols for PUSH email.

1) Microsoft ActiveSync (very popular with companies and some web mail providers)
    2) IMAP IDLE

Some web mail providers support both, wheras others like Google are dropping ActiveSync in favor of IMAP IDLE.

I think your .blackberry email is going to be deprecated, and you should use gmail, outlook.com or something like that with the Z10. It would not make sense to use .blackberry email with the BB10 OS.

BB 10 supports IMAP IDLE. If you think your Google App or Android Mail app is using something proprietary (which some have hysterically claimed on this forum) you are all wrong.

IMAP IDLE is what Google uses for all APPS for their phones.

Both ActiveSync and IMAP IDLE work on a similar long standing HTTP request but with tons of optimizations built in. They both are light on the battery compared to their bad rap years ago. Not as good as BlackBerry's old PUSH technology. But still good. You can expect either mail technology to be fast. Within a few seconds. Instant like old BB OS Push? Close enough that consumers no longer care.

The new LTE radio, dual core, and large screen are your power vampires, not PUSH email (comparatively)

Thus BB 10 uses both those PUSH technologies and nothing more. There is POP support but that is on a polling bases that you can set.
    And let's be clear that if the long threads on this issue is any indication, there are a lot of us still using regular pop3 accounts that don't have the IMAP option. If the phone is doing the polling (and those who use it as their primary email will want it to poll quite a bit) will end up using a bit more juice.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

You can still have POP accounts, you are not limited to only Active or IMAP, but most of the major players provide the newer protocols, POP is very very old and inefficient
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Z10 Away! - Feel free to thank or like any post* that has helped (or hindered)

*My postings & comments are my opinion alone, and are not representative of any other company or organisation.
    CrackBerry Addict

Why you would want to use POP3 even with old BlackBerry's is anyone guess... Was it push? Yeah... But on a icky 15-minute delay... That's gross!

Silverfern, Hotmail should be fine. I think they already support ActiveSync... I know Outlook.com is, and you can automatically upgrade to Outlook.com and keep your old email address. You might want to do a little research, but I think it will work out great!
    CrackBerry User

Is anyone having problems once an IMAP account is set up on the Z10 where you receive multiple copies of the same emails? I've read that this has been a problem with previous BB's where an Activesync account was set up via BIS, but as the Z10 doesnt use BIS I can't figure out why this is happening? I had previously set up the same IMAP account on an Iphone and on Android without having the duplicate mail issue. Does anyone know how to fix it please?
    CrackBerry Abuser

im ****in pissed right now. i had no clue that i dont have push email till this morning been only on z10 for 2 days now. my emails go throught google apps. is there a way to push to my z10. im so annoyed .....