Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree5Likes
  1. SamWilli's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default BB10 phones in South Africa

    I spoke to an employee at one of the carriers here in South Africa and according to her stock will be arriving at the end of January, beginning of Feb of the new device. I am assuming this will be the L-Series. This is exciting if it is true seeing that Mr Heins confirmed that BlackBerry will be showing love to the markets where they have a strong presence.
    Thanked by:
    Taigatrommel (12-08-2012) 
    laserx and AfroZepher like this.
  2. TheStoof's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Lots of ifs, but if that's true, then I see no reason why TMo won't get it here in the US.
  3. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,441 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,979 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    They definitely need it in South Africa soon. I know people from there, and follow some people on Twitter there too, and see the people who can afford to, are leaving BlackBerry for high end Android and iPhones. I'd say this is in the early phases still, and if RIM can get BB10 out there in January it would probably save the market as BBM is very popular there, so a BB10 device with apps and BBM should do well.
  4. felberry83's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Surely we, in SA, will get blackberry 10 devices Q1 2013. RIM has shown his interest in SA by hosting a blackberry 10 Jam session in Captown and Thor promised that there will be a "global" or "mondial" (don't remember the exact word) launch of BB10. There is a lot of BB 99xx, BB Curve users ready to move to BB10. Some android users as well want to have the high spec and flexibilty of their androphones on a reliable blackberry smartphone. So I'm confident that BB10 devices will certainly show their faces at launch and make their way!
    SamWilli likes this.
  5. Bobert_123's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,829 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    Lots of ifs, but if that's true, then I see no reason why TMo won't get it here in the US.
    They better get it, otherwise they'll be losing me as a customer...
    Sent from my Z10 or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

    BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) + a deceased BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig
  6. donmateo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,573 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    US, Canada, SA will all certainly be on the initial launch list. Most developed nations will be along with developing markets that RIM has already penetrated.
  7. Supa_Fly1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,231 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    They better get it, otherwise they'll be losing me as a customer...
    According to recent T-Mobile news subsidies are GONE in 2013! There is NOTHING from stopping you purchasing an unlocked L-Series or N-Series when either debuts, staying with T-Mobile due to their already cheaper than Verizon/AT&T monthly rates that will drop considerably more, being more cheaper than those other two.

    I quite think you'll remain with T-Mobile USA.
    Weapon Of Choice = BlackBerry: Z10
    Amunition = BB10 Full Metal Jacket, the Mobile OS piercing violator!
  8. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    US, Canada, SA will all certainly be on the initial launch list. Most developed nations will be along with developing markets that RIM has already penetrated.
    I guess it depends how things work out with the initial launch, it could still be staggered so that some countries will be early but not the very first few and it would not surprise me if SA is in that second batch of the first wave behind some of the bigger EMEA markets such as the UK and Germany. Canada will be bound to be one of the first to launch as they are tend to be in the first wave, but don't dawdle as much as the US carriers when it comes to launching.
  9. SamWilli's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    They definitely need it in South Africa soon. I know people from there, and follow some people on Twitter there too, and see the people who can afford to, are leaving BlackBerry for high end Android and iPhones. I'd say this is in the early phases still, and if RIM can get BB10 out there in January it would probably save the market as BBM is very popular there, so a BB10 device with apps and BBM should do well.
    Totally agree. I have a few friends who are so tired of the current BlackBerry phone issues they cannot wait to get Android phones, namely Samsung. I am doing my best trying to convince them to wait for the BlackBerry 10 phones. I am sure they will be hugely surprised. I am due for an upgrade on my 2 cellphone accounts in Jan and will hopefully get both the L-Series and N-Series and then spread the gospel of BlackBerry 10
  10. SamWilli's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    They better get it, otherwise they'll be losing me as a customer...
    Just wait dude.... Less than two months to go. We have waited this long already.
  11. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    I guess it depends how things work out with the initial launch, it could still be staggered so that some countries will be early but not the very first few and it would not surprise me if SA is in that second batch of the first wave behind some of the bigger EMEA markets such as the UK and Germany. Canada will be bound to be one of the first to launch as they are tend to be in the first wave, but don't dawdle as much as the US carriers when it comes to launching.
    Pretty sure Heins or Boulben is on record as saying explicitly that South Africa, along with at least 3-4 other countries also mentioned by name, gets it in the first wave. If it wasn't explicit, it was the next thing to it, given that they clearly stated they intend to "reward" their more loyal customer bases by ensuring they get the thing right away.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
  12. 7thedon7's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    A frind of mine who works at Vodacom (Vodafone but in Mozambique) just told me that he had a meeting with a few representatives of Blackberry in SA. They confirmed to him that they will be getting stock by the end of January as well. So I see some truth in both statements (from the guy who started this thread and from my friend). Gotta say that I was a little bit in doubt when he told me but after reading this, I think he was telling the truth.
    9900 - PB64GB - Z10 - ......Z30......
    SamWilli likes this.
  13. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,441 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,979 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thedon7 View Post
    A frind of mine who works at Vodacom (Vodafone but in Mozambique) just told me that he had a meeting with a few representatives of Blackberry in SA. They confirmed to him that they will be getting stock by the end of January as well. So I see some truth in both statements (from the guy who started this thread and from my friend). Gotta say that I was a little bit in doubt when he told me but after reading this, I think he was telling the truth.
    Stock by the end of January implies that they could release really soon after the Jan 30th launch. I'm still hoping to get my BB10 the same week or the weekend following the launch event.
  14. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Pretty sure Heins or Boulben is on record as saying explicitly that South Africa, along with at least 3-4 other countries also mentioned by name, gets it in the first wave. If it wasn't explicit, it was the next thing to it, given that they clearly stated they intend to "reward" their more loyal customer bases by ensuring they get the thing right away.
    It all depends how first wave is defined, they might be describing the first batch of launches of the launch period as wave 1 and not literally mean they are the very first country.
  15. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    It all depends how first wave is defined, they might be describing the first batch of launches of the launch period as wave 1 and not literally mean they are the very first country.
    Obviously the very first phones sold to people off the street might not be in South Africa, but I don't think that's important here. My point is that I think there's a bunch of countries which will be getting them all at the same time. Whether a given carrier or store in a given country chooses to make them available on the very first date they can is a different story. I expect all of them will be releasing the phones within a period of about a week, and nobody should really care if their country happens to be 2-3 days behind another one. Any way you slice it, it's going to be way better for the "loyal" markets than in past when they have had to wait literally months hearing about availability elsewhere and not having the option of purchasing at home.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    SamWilli likes this.
  16. microfoneman's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    i'm so excited for bb10 in SA. i want to have a competition for SA's biggest bb fan. I've had roughly 9 blackberry's. 3 curves. 4 storm 2's 2 bolds (9700 and 9900) and 2 playbooks (bought 2 play books for friends and a 9300 also for a friend... thats how committed i am), and i would take a guess that I've converted at least over 20 people to BB. can anyone in SA beat that? come on RIM, hook a brother up with a free bb10 device, (full touch screen).

    in fact RIM, show some love, and give every 9900 owner a free upgrade. my 2 year contract only ends in november '13.
  17. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by microfoneman View Post
    in fact RIM, show some love, and give every 9900 owner a free upgrade. my 2 year contract only ends in november '13.
    Surely a big fan would not want rim to go out of business by giving away phones?
  18. Panther74's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #18  

    Default Data plan vs BIS

    Does everyone know that B10 runs on data plans and that this is a major issue with BB 7 users as the reason for the BB success is BIS.
    If people wished to purchase data packages, the I phone and Androids would have rivaled the BIS experience. So to all those that are saying BB10 is needed in South Africa, please understand what and who are using the products.
  19. Panther74's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Data plans are going to kill the BB10 migration, In my family alone both parents, two sisters, their husbands and myself are due to upgrade our BBs. However going from BIS to a Data plan contract is NOT NEGOTIABLE. We rather opted to stay with BB7 or either go to androids if we wish a second phone. Unfortunately although BB10 are a good offering, as a product, its functionality is now limited at its data planned, so the R60pm BIS doesnt apply but data transfer applies. SO WHAT IS A BB NOW>>>>>>>>>>>> Just another PRODUCT! Yes as human and in the age we live in, Cost cost cost is the driving factor and even if you are running an i phone or Samsung, you still worry about the costs. yet BB managed to resolve that with BIS, But well i guess BB10 wants to reduce its BIS clientele and loose market share to some else who can make BIS options sustainable.
    BB is starting to suck
  20. Panther74's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    GUYS its 25 February 2013, .............................................BB10 what? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all abunch of Ifs again and the proof is......NO BB10
  21. Panther74's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    MMMMMM please read the BB 10 offering buddy. I too had loved BB but do you know that all your BIS is GONE on BB10 . You gonna cough up the dough every time you want to do a thing . Oh and Bis is not available on BB10 ...................DATA plan is your second name.
  22. doug8256's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    105 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    @ panther74...wishing you and your family all the best in apple/droid world.
    Do me a favor and copy/paste your own rants into an email, fire it off to blackberry so they understand the trauma which as been inflicted upon you..cheers

    Posted via CB10
  23. nSidious's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    People in South Africa who can afford the z10 can afford data bundles and most probably have an ADSL line at home so that the phone can "hand-off" onto Wifi when the user is home and/or at work. When out and about, a 500MB+ data bundle should keep BBM, Twitter, Emails and Facebook going. Blackberry did their research. This was a necessary step forward to bring down data center costs while introducing enhancements such as BBM Voice and Video (Which require Wifi anyways). This wasnt just a random decision people. Those who cant afford it will stick with their bolds and curves.
  24. Prince Radebe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Follow link for Cell C offers, so far the best for South Africa

    Free BBM with BlackBerry Z10 on Cell C
  25. GJL
    GJL is offline
    GJL's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Yahooooooo! I just got my BB10 here in South Africa.
    To my amazement though the local Vodacom shop only got 2 units? One for me and one for the wife.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New BB user in South Africa
    By Trawsaj in forum Introductions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 02:53 AM
  2. 8830WE in South Africa
    By backwoodsguy in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 03:39 AM
  3. south african berry users abroad (or in south africa)
    By inert in forum Discover BBM Friends
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 01:59 AM
  4. Blackberry newbie in South Africa - advice needed!
    By SandraSA in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 02:52 AM
  5. radio streaming in south africa?
    By jayred in forum Other Carriers Worldwide
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions