Aside from anything else, if you bought a Nexus 4 off the shelf then you paid at least $400 up front. So you didn't buy it just as a toy, did you... You paid a lot of money for a very expensive device that was destined to be your daily driver. Also, google voice is not actually the same as having phone service. Its a good service for sure, but its not actually the same. Mainly because you need wifi because your cheap. So if you ever leave the house then you won't be able to make or receive calls. Also you can't call the cops. Oh and its US only.

Shockingly enough, every phone needs a contract to actually function as described on the box. You can find some replacements for some parts of that for some phones, but you will never be able to get the same degree of service as you would by having a contract. Android does better than most without a SIM, because they make up the vast majority of wifi only tablets, so they have gotten more support for that application. But nothing ever replaces a contract, there are always major draw backs, and of course you have to buy an expensive device at full retail.

Specifically, almost nothing can replace a $100 a month contract. There's no way that you paid that much and didn't get unlimited voice, unlimited texts and about 5gb of data. No way does a $30 a month data contract and google voice come close to replacing that degree of service. Alternatively you got sold a stupidly expensive contract and are now bitter towards RIM for that.

As for specs... Well your an android fanboy now. There's no convincing you that you bought something that has more horsepower than you could ever use and that will blight your life with terrible battery life as a result. But that's what will happen. So have fun with that. For what its worth, the BB10 specs are not finalised, so you should probably wait for that to happen before you complain. The Galaxy S 2 was more powerful than the iPhone 5 and came out a year earlier... How much did that effect the sales of the latter ? How much does that effect the performance on the latter ?
    ....And boom goes the dynamite.

+10
    11-21-12 02:48 PM
    Perhaps not dimensions, but I could see finishes and final materials being the suprise.
    I don't think additional materials would be allowed after testing, that could wreck havoc with the signal if nothing else. Different paint job and/or tiny design adjustments may be feasible though. Again, not an expert - merely guessing.
    11-21-12 03:12 PM
    I'm going to be excited when I get the chance to test it out and also, blackberry 10 on the playbook.
    el_excelsior likes this.
    11-21-12 03:13 PM
    I think the "production" device will be just a little different from the dev devices, but anyway if its going to be like the dev, I do not care, looks nice and I will buy one ... But really I do not think is going to be this
    11-21-12 03:14 PM
    I've never delved into the nuts-and-bolts of carrier testing so I'm not aware of any stipulation that says the hardware they're testing has to look like the dev devices we've been seeing.
    Doing things like changing the casing or the material it is made from can alter the rf properties of a mobile device so carriers require final hardware in their labs and if such hardware is in labs then any sensible company will want as many of their employees using that hardware as well in advance of carrier submissions so that they can find issues before it goes to the carrier and approvals get delayed due to the need for bug fixes.
    11-21-12 07:41 PM
    If you watch A BlackBerry 10 sneak peek - BNN News you see how sharp the display is. It's pretty good looking.
    11-21-12 08:59 PM
    Doing things like changing the casing or the material it is made from can alter the rf properties of a mobile device so carriers require final hardware in their labs and if such hardware is in labs then any sensible company will want as many of their employees using that hardware as well in advance of carrier submissions so that they can find issues before it goes to the carrier and approvals get delayed due to the need for bug fixes.
    Which makes perfect sense. I'm simply offering a theory that there's the dev devices we're all familiar with winding up as final or close-to-it hardware, or they could simply be dev devices purpose-built merely for those making apps for BB10 - and they've been doing a feint to keep the final devices out of sight. I'm basing this soley on that there hasn't been any sightings in the wild of anything other than photos of the aforementioned dev devices. If the N-series is releasing "shortly after" the L-series it stands to reason they're in carrier testing as well. Unless, of course, "shortly after" actually means "a few months", and the other devices aren't going into testing after the release of the L-series. So I'm positing that RIM might be one-upping Apple at the secrecy game and the devices in testing are running BB10 but look different from the dev devices, because apps really don't care how the casing looks. Again, merely furthering the discussion. (Also possible goad to prompt someone in the know to give concrete proof one way or the other.)*disclaimer: I personally don't care how it looks, I'm interested in what it does.
    11-21-12 11:45 PM
    i have just come across this? what does it mean for BB10? - they claim to have true multitasking as well as android support, the demo i saw show a device with no buttons as well - hmmmmmm

Jolla Sailfish OS detailed, demoed on video - GSMArena.com news
    11-22-12 12:21 AM
    The OS looks beautiful and it's only about 2% of it that I can see. I imagine being able to utilize this phone thoroughly day in and day out is very pleasurable. I have to have a BlackBerry10 device when it launches.
    11-22-12 12:51 AM
    Finally someone brought up Sailfish. It's interesting that the multi-tasking screen is the SAME as BB10. It really shows that BB10 is on the right track when the folks who did Meego (from which RIM "borrowed") are doing the same thing. Many people wants RIM to do a bit more with active frames, and I think RIM should "borrow" from Sailfish again and provide developers with ability to let users interact with the app in the minimized state. I don't think the Android compatibility will be that big of an issue. Without the BB Hub, BB Balance, and Cascades, I think BB10 is better than Sailfish, but it's good to see "meego" being reborn.
    11-22-12 12:53 AM
    So you think the L-Series design is ugly and then suggest they go with the 9850 design? Not sure if trolling...
    nope, no troll here,,, i think the 9850/60 is a nice design, it just needs to be a little bigger,,, it fits well in the hand & looks good, too,,, there are times i catch myself saying, "this thing is cool." lay that block of plastic next to a 9850 & tell me which looks better...
    11-22-12 02:13 AM
    Which makes perfect sense. I'm simply offering a theory that there's the dev devices we're all familiar with winding up as final or close-to-it hardware, or they could simply be dev devices purpose-built merely for those making apps for BB10 - and they've been doing a feint to keep the final devices out of sight. I'm basing this soley on that there hasn't been any sightings in the wild of anything other than photos of the aforementioned dev devices. If the N-series is releasing "shortly after" the L-series it stands to reason they're in carrier testing as well. Unless, of course, "shortly after" actually means "a few months", and the other devices aren't going into testing after the release of the L-series. So I'm positing that RIM might be one-upping Apple at the secrecy game and the devices in testing are running BB10 but look different from the dev devices, because apps really don't care how the casing looks.
    I think that people assuming that there is going to be something different released are just setting themselves up to be disappointed, the stuff we have seen in the leaks is actually really nice looking hardware and this need for people to imagine there is something else just seems a bit weird.

As far as N-series, assuming it is due something like 2 months after the L-series, it probably won't be going into the labs until the end of this year or the start of next year.
    11-22-12 06:07 AM
    i have just come across this? what does it mean for BB10? - they claim to have true multitasking as well as android support, the demo i saw show a device with no buttons as well - hmmmmmm

Jolla Sailfish OS detailed, demoed on video - GSMArena.com news
    Yep a thread is posted on this already.
    11-22-12 10:08 PM
    Would appreciate some clarification - given that this is an evaluation unit - I guess we're assuming that the hardware is relatively finalized? Does that mean the likelihood of having using a charging dock is negligible? I didn't see any charging ports (unless I'm just going batcr*p crazy and missed it).

appreciate any insight
    11-23-12 10:58 AM
    Would appreciate some clarification - given that this is an evaluation unit - I guess we're assuming that the hardware is relatively finalized? Does that mean the likelihood of having using a charging dock is negligible? I didn't see any charging ports (unless I'm just going batcr*p crazy and missed it).

appreciate any insight
    I believe the charge port is on the other side of the device, and will support landscape docks much like the storm. I could be wrong, but this is what I would assume.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-23-12 12:11 PM
    Just visited a friend of mine who has one of these eval units...very slick, fits in the hand very nicely, single thumb navigation is easy.
    I'm in love.....(Don't tell my wife ....)
    11-25-12 01:18 PM
    A 4" screen is one hand operable. My SIII is, even in my smallish hand. And it is a 4.8" screen.
    11-25-12 02:34 PM
    Dude, it's 4" display, what do you mean smaller???
    It's a 4.2 inch display with some pretty big bezels, it's pretty big dude...
    11-25-12 09:51 PM
    Just visited a friend of mine who has one of these eval units...very slick, fits in the hand very nicely, single thumb navigation is easy.
    I'm in love.....(Don't tell my wife ....)
    Sure you did
    11-25-12 09:52 PM

appreciate any insight
    It's safe to assume that the hardware is finalized, we never saw the bottom(or top) of the device so there could be charging docks...
    11-25-12 09:54 PM
    That's a big screen and that's a good thing!
    11-25-12 09:56 PM
    That's a big screen and that's a good thing!
    Agreed. Crackberry has to be the only place on the internet where a new phone with a huge screen is looked at as a bad thing. Trust me, you can one hand that size of device, and that's with Android that's not really designed with one handed use in mind. Going from home button to notifications bar on an SIII isn't a problem. It just takes some getting used to. Its only past 5" that it starts to get difficult.
    11-26-12 06:10 AM
    So torn between the L-Series and the N-series! Unlike Kevin, I can't afford both, just one of them
    11-26-12 06:26 AM
    Agreed. Crackberry has to be the only place on the internet where a new phone with a huge screen is looked at as a bad thing. Trust me, you can one hand that size of device, and that's with Android that's not really designed with one handed use in mind. Going from home button to notifications bar on an SIII isn't a problem. It just takes some getting used to. Its only past 5" that it starts to get difficult.
    Yeah I used to think a screen 4.3"+ would be too big. But the SIII isn't too bad. I have average sized hands. Maybe on the smaller side of average. But I could reach the top/bottom. Even though it took a bit of reaching, it still wasn't too bad. But the big screen was definitely a nice plus.
    11-26-12 01:59 PM
    I have an iPhone 5 it isn't peeling, and other than a screen protector is naked every day. Call me a fan boy, I could care less. I have owned many bb products over the years, but this L looks way too big. I recently sold a Samsung II it was too big for me.
    11-26-12 10:48 PM
115 ... 2345