Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mikelcal
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 - gestures - Left handed?

Hi all,

this may be a silly question, but I am left handed - very left handed.
    I do almost nothing with my right hand.

In looking at the videos of BB10 and the gestures, almost all (everyone?) use their right hand and thumb to make the gestures.
    It strikes me that some of those might be bit challenging, dare I say 'even backward' for a left handed user.
    Will there be or is there a setting for changing some of the gestures so that peek, etc
    work easier for left handed users?

Thanks for any info.
    This could be a key reason why I stick with a keyboard phone and not full touch.

C
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Default Re: BB10 - gestures - Left handed?

I'm sure using the left hand shouldn't differ too much from using the right hand.

It's just the gestures are opposite relative to the hand.

I'm not sure if there's a pro/con with that. But from my reasoning, I don't think there would be.
    CrackBerry User

I think that is a great question that a right-handed person has to be very, very careful in answering so easily. Similarly, many computer mice that have the option of right or left-handed to choose the button orientation for the reason you state. Carry this through to the video reviews that Kevin has posted they talked about moving the peak to the left because it made more sense to pull the window back rather than push, maybe they will or have continued the logic flow that a left-handed person would want to do the same thing but with their left thumb.

Would you prefer to mirror the gestures and toolbars? Maybe Kevin or someone who has previewed BB 10 can let us know if they have seen, heard or asked. Or maybe they could ask for all the left-handers out there
    CrackBerry Addict

This could be a key reason why I stick with a keyboard phone and not full touch.

Even the keyboard phone will use the same gestures, only be farther to get to as you will have to reach over the actual keyboard. There will be no trackpad.
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Addict

Even the keyboard phone will use the same gestures, only be farther to get to as you will have to reach over the actual keyboard. There will be no trackpad.
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Genius

I brought this question up in a previous post. Will there be a lefty mode or a sensor for left handed use. For me I'm right handed so it doesn't bug me. But some times I switch hands if my right hand is in use and a sensor would be a great idea to have that can switch automatically
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am primarily left handed... I have tried doing the gesture with my left hand and it does not feel awkward at all. I don't think it would matter either way, to me, but I guess I can see where it could potentially be a problem for others.
    Former: Motorola MicroTac- Motorola V120x - Nokia 3280 - Audiovox 8600 - Audiovox 8410 - Samsung A920 - LG Vx8500 (Chocolate) - BlackBerry Pearl 8130 - LG Vx9700 (Dare) - BlackBerry Curve 8530 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - BlackBerry Torch 9810

Current: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB WiFi; BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB WiFi; BlackBerry Z10!!!

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by cadoresg View Post
    In looking at the videos of BB10 and the gestures, almost all (everyone?) use their right hand and thumb to make the gestures.
    It strikes me that some of those might be bit challenging, dare I say 'even backward' for a left handed user.
    Funny, but it is almost the first thing that came to mind as I (a lefty) watched the initial demo's of how BB10 will work.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

HMMM. as a lefty myself, I don't find any problem using my dev alpha exclusively with my left hand. Most of the time i hold it with my left and find it particularly useful pulling up the keyboard with my thumb. Maybe i'll put together a video to demonstrate...
    meganVee and mithrazor like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

i think this is true with any touch screen.. a left handed person would have to pull the screens from right to left.. where as a right handed person would push the screen right to left...

when u PEEK and reveal the HUB u would still be able to see the latest messages..i do see a concern with the thumb covering the bottom half of the list..

and the person above does make a good point.. pull the keyboard out and in and pulling the picture after the camera takes a picture would also be easier cause u dont have to reach across the screen to do so
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by mikelcal View Post
    HMMM. as a lefty myself, I don't find any problem using my dev alpha exclusively with my left hand. Most of the time i hold it with my left and find it particularly useful pulling up the keyboard with my thumb. Maybe i'll put together a video to demonstrate...
    So as we get closer to Jan 30 and deciding to pre-order through Rogers, a video of a lefty using the dev alpha would be great.
    I just need to see with my own eyes. As I said I'm an almost exclusive lefty.
    Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

This is something that would have been of concern to me as a lefty. For some weird reason, as I get older, I've become much more ambidextrous - and currently mostly use my right when in one-handed BB mode!
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!