Hi

Does anyone have a Dev Alpha or Dev Alpha B handset and is able to comment on the image quality of the camera?

I think the Blackberry devices have always lacked a little on the camera quality and functionality compared to other Smartphones such as the iPhone, HTC and Samsungs. I think it's important that the BB10 handsets resolve that issue and deliver a high quality camera that competes specification and feature wise with the premium smartphones that are dominating the marketplace currently.
    10-29-12 05:01 PM
    From what I've read so far the camera on both Alpha A and B has 8 MP with Auto Focus.
    As for the quality of the images taken, anyone please share some pics taken with the Alpha devices.
    Cheers
    10-29-12 11:57 PM
    10-30-12 10:31 AM
    I like the park shot with the ducks especially. Do you think there will be further improvements on the camera once the final handset spec comes into play?
    10-30-12 03:24 PM
    I like the park shot with the ducks especially. Do you think there will be further improvements on the camera once the final handset spec comes into play?
    One can only hope
    10-30-12 09:04 PM
    5.99MPX...

This isn't the actual cam. The BB10 cam sticks up at 8MPX
    11-05-12 09:27 AM
    Most phone cameras do fine in outdoor daylight. I wonder how it does in low light conditions - with and without a flash.
    11-05-12 11:44 AM
    5.99MPX...

This isn't the actual cam. The BB10 cam sticks up at 8MPX
    Those shots are 16:9, that's why they're only 6mpx. Like every phone camera it just cuts off top and bottom of the original 4:3 8mpx photo (except for some Nokias like the N9 which use the sensor differently and therefore can deliver a 7mpx photo)
    The camera quality of the DevAlpha can't match my 808 PureView of course, but I guess it's decent enough for most people in good conditions. For bad conditions it's missing a good flash and the aperture at f2.65 is also worse than other phones currently out there (those are around f2.0-f2.2). Although such an aperture can lead to problems in bright daylight.
    One thing I don't like about the current camera UI is that it captures a photo by clicking anywhere on the screen, event if the subject isn't in focus. And even if it has focused it easily loses the focus. So there is some room for improvement there.
    I just hope that in the future they will release a phone with xenon flash so that it would also be possible to make good night shots. But I guess that's just wishful thinking when looking at all those razor thin phones.
    11-06-12 09:14 AM
    Given that one of the special bb10 features they have demoed so far relates to the camera we should probably be reasonably confident that the overall quality of the camera is going to be pretty good as otherwise it would hurt them twice as much.

On the subject of that time machine feature, I wonder how that will work in low light, they obviously couldn't have the flash going off continuously when you switched on the camera so would it be smart enough to switch on the flash as just a light so that the shot was a bit brighter overall or would it simply not use the flash at all which would tend to limit the usefulness of the feature since a flash going off is probably one of those times when you would be more likely to need to use the feature.
    11-06-12 02:27 PM
    Hopefully the camera isn't like the 99XX, because that would suck. I can't scan barcode (of any kind) very well or at all compared to my Tour.
    11-07-12 03:48 PM
    impressive!
    11-11-12 01:04 PM
    BB10 Device Camera Quality-img_00000005-custom-.jpg

Took this with my dev alpa A - no flash
    11-12-12 07:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000005 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	125410

Took this with my dev alpa A - no flash
    Ok, but obviously you did this where this is Some light already exposed. Care to do a test in the Dark? I think that is what people are wanting to see.
    11-14-12 05:40 PM