Hi All,

The current BB Desktop has been the sole mode of backup for a few years now.

With BB10 is there any news of a wireless OTA autobackup, like iCloud?

With the falling number of Laptops (I only use mine for this purpose) I wonder if RIM have considered/are working on this?!?
    01-06-13 01:02 PM
    I haven't heard either way but wouldn't that be great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 01:07 PM
    Sole purpose?

You could use BlackBerry Protect, which has had OTA backups (amongst other features) before iCloud came out.

Do some research before you state "facts"
    LivieS likes this.
    01-06-13 01:22 PM
    BB protect will back up you device. Although not 100%. There has been some talk of it getting more complete.
    01-06-13 01:23 PM
    No thanks. I have zero interest in putting all my personal information (and that of my contacts) out on the cloud somewhere. BB needs to let those of us with security concerns back up directly to our laptops (or PB...wouldn't THAT be a novel idea).
    01-06-13 01:23 PM
    Sole purpose?

You could use BlackBerry Protect, which has had OTA backups (amongst other features) before iCloud came out.

Do some research before you state "facts"
    I wasnt aware that Protect backed up everything? (Images, themes, data etc) I thought it just done the basics.

So, using just Protect, can you restore from a backup incase of total loss?

As per the security, im not personally worried about any security issues, but why not have a fullY OTA option, aswell as Desktop?
    01-06-13 01:36 PM
    I wasnt aware that Protect backed up everything? (Images, themes, data etc) I thought it just done the basics.

As per the security, im not personally worried about any security issues, but why not have a fullY OTA option, aswell as Desktop?
    Limited now...but BB10 is supposed to bring a more complete backup with launch.

Personally, I could care less if I lose a picture on phone, so backing up pictures OTA would be a waste of bandwidth.
    01-06-13 01:43 PM
    Limited now...but BB10 is supposed to bring a more complete backup with launch.
    Ahhh, logic would suggest RIM to update Protect with the new features.

Personally, I could care less if I lose a picture on phone, so backing up pictures OTA would be a waste of bandwidth.
    Each to their own, id rather BB offered as much as possible, alowing users to choose what they backup and how.
    01-06-13 01:51 PM
    25 more days and we will find out!
    01-06-13 07:04 PM

Blackberry Protect is a cloud solution for backup/restore, all except MEDIA. BB10 will have a built in "dropbox" like feature built in..already read it in the forums...
    01-06-13 08:18 PM
    Yeah there's DropBox, Box, Skydrive coming to BB10. But hey check out PlayCloud10, the developer has a thread already about what it's about, features, and screenshots.

Here you go: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7813445
    01-06-13 11:51 PM
    Hi guys,

The BlackBerry Protect is the app that lets you make an over-the-air backup of your device. It also does alot of other cool stuff you can use the BBProtect website to make your phone ring at full volume when you misplace it, allows you to delete data off it remotely if it has been stolen or even locate the phone on a map.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, it has some drawbacks: it does not back-up media files, such as photos or videos, and it does not support corporate devices connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Now, for those who really want OTA backups, it might be a solution, but the missing photos can be quite a deterrent for some users.

Let's hope in BB10 BlackBerry Protect it will be improved or at least be followed by another complementary solution. I'm with the BlackBerry Backup Extractor project at Reincubate, we generally advise users to use both methods of backing up, for safety (BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Protect).
    01-16-13 05:35 AM
    The new BB10 Protect no long provide remote backup. Sadly they've stripped out alot of it's functionality and all provides now is tracing your device, remote wipe and remote calling to track down your phone. No more backup of contacts, calendars, memos.

I'm now in search for a substitute so that I can remotely back up my stuff...so far no luck.
    02-08-13 10:58 PM
    Yup.

So much for an OTS backup we've actually LOST function compared to before.

It's a shame I hoped they would do something like that.....

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 02:52 PM
    Would be great to have proper cloud backup. I trust Blackberry when it comes to security so that wouldn't be a concern for me.
    02-09-13 03:17 PM
    Look out for FireChest which should be available in June/July 2013. It's a very slick native app for BB10. You can select any of:

Contacts
    Calendar
    SMS
    Individual folders (Documents, Photos, etc)

and the app will first ENCRYPT the data and then upload to your DropBox account. Restoring is just as easy. Say you've wiped your phone. Just install the app and enter your DropBox username and password, wait for it to connect and check for backups, and then select what you wish to restore. Easy.

If you've got any feature requests or ideas, send them to me.

PS. I was developing the app for my own Z10 but thought I might as well make it public. Also I am sick of software (os, e-mail, cloud, backup etc) that has no respect for privacy. Privacy policies mean nothing - look at the new CISPA bill that's just been passed in the USA. Encryption should be standard and unassailable in the digital world.
    04-27-13 02:06 AM
    cant wait. please post your status!
    07-07-13 07:57 PM
    Yes, please post status! That's an app I don't think anyone could do without...
    07-07-13 09:23 PM
    Look out for FireChest which should be available in June/July 2013. It's a very slick native app for BB10. You can select any of:

Contacts
    Calendar
    SMS
    Individual folders (Documents, Photos, etc)

and the app will first ENCRYPT the data and then upload to your DropBox account. Restoring is just as easy. Say you've wiped your phone. Just install the app and enter your DropBox username and password, wait for it to connect and check for backups, and then select what you wish to restore. Easy.

If you've got any feature requests or ideas, send them to me.

PS. I was developing the app for my own Z10 but thought I might as well make it public. Also I am sick of software (os, e-mail, cloud, backup etc) that has no respect for privacy. Privacy policies mean nothing - look at the new CISPA bill that's just been passed in the USA. Encryption should be standard and unassailable in the digital world.
    Will this only be for Dropbox, or Box also?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:41 PM
    Fire Chest Backup went live in BlackBerry World 4 days ago. It's free too. Check it out and tell everyone you know.

Already working on adding more backup options.
    10-02-13 11:26 AM
    Currently only works with DropBox. A number of people have asked about Box.net too because it has a larger free quota.

We are on the case. It will take several months to add support for multiple cloud providers.
    10-02-13 11:28 AM
    Fire Chest Backup free in BlackBerry World
    10-02-13 11:29 AM
    Not free anymore...

Why did BlackBerry stop the backup with the bb protect?
    01-20-15 12:27 PM