BB10 Active Frames: How about this look?-active_frames_2-2-.jpg

I done something thinking and thought I'd be visual on my view. I wish the Active Frames had a concept similar to this.

*Music Player can be controlled without opening the App and the colour of the active frame changes according to Album Cover.
    *Next Calendar event can be viewed without opening the app by turning the page from the page curl.

What you guys reckon?
    Last edited by lucky-lad; 11-17-12 at 11:34 AM.
    11-17-12 11:20 AM
    Cannot see the attachment ... it says Invalid Link

EDIT: Works Now!
    Last edited by Qaxl; 11-17-12 at 11:54 AM.
    11-17-12 11:31 AM
    I've reuploaded the image. You can view it now.
    11-17-12 11:36 AM
    Hot. I like it.

With the examples you've chosen the way you've mocked it up, it's a very effective usage of space.

Being able to interact with an Active Frame is an interesting concept too... definitely ads a layer of complication to the experience over just tapping to jump into the app, and not sure if it's technically easy for that to be built in or not, but it's a cool thought. Kind of changes the experience from Active Frame to Mini Version of the App (different than a widget still, which would be fixed).

Keep the ideas coming. I love brainstorming this kind of stuff!
    lucky--lad and annon91221 like this.
    11-17-12 11:48 AM
    Looks great. Your design makes it look like we could have open 10 open active frames-due to its size. That would be awesome Could this design continue the idea of using it one-handed? How would they move around going from one active frame to the next?
    11-17-12 12:00 PM
    I think that looks pretty great! looks like BB11

I think with these type of features it would become essential to let the Users Resize the Active Frame and Change its State also to move them about as they wish.

State Options:
    1.) InterActive Frames (Like shown above)
    2.) Standard Active Frames (Resizeable)

Resize Options:
    1.) Standard Active Frame (Standard L-Series Active Frame)
    2.) Full Width Active Frame ( Expanded to fill the full Width of the Screen .. similar to the weather app shown on top)
    3.) Full Length Active Frame (Expanded to fill the full Length of the Screen )
    4.) Half Height Active Frame (Standard N-Series Active Frame)

So if a user wants to see what's going on in the App itself and it shuold open when tapped, then it is better to use the Standard Active Frame Resized to Fit the Type of App, like Full Width for Video or Browsing, Full Length for Music Player to display a Playlist or a BBM Chat etc.

If the User Decides to use InterActive Frames like above, he can switch the state from Standard.
    bbschorsch likes this.
    11-17-12 12:08 PM

*Music Player can be controlled without opening the App and the colour of the active frame changes according to Album Cover.
    *Next Calendar event can be viewed without opening the app by turning the page from the page curl.
    Nice pic. It'll probably be similar to the next version of Active Frames. FYI the next calendar event is currently shown in the Active Frame on the Dev Alpha
    11-17-12 01:15 PM
    You made the homepage with this thread! Congrats!!! +100 to the OP
    lucky--lad and Qaxl like this.
    11-17-12 01:46 PM
    @limh5 - no, he meant beyond the next event, you can keep curling back the next one and the next one and the next one.
    11-17-12 01:46 PM
    Looks good, Looks Functional,.. but needs allot of polishing .. Doesn't look very modern, Kinda reminds me of Winamp
    11-17-12 02:02 PM
    Interesting idea, but how about enhancing it more, sort of like an accordion style concept, but placed at the top of the screen. All the Active Frames would have an auto-hide feature and would be stacked up on top of each other with just a very thin graze of each widget or frame to peak through. When the user wants more information they can tap on one of the AF's and the info is displayed thus leaving the other AF's alone. I think this would be great for all of those who just Love showing off their wallpaper.
    11-17-12 02:59 PM
    This is a very nice concept. I like the ideas to have more Active Frames on the screen. What about making Active Frame 3D so that it can spin about a vertical axis? I am thinking of Active Frames on the surfaces of a triangle prism that a user can rotate to the next surface by a simple swipe.
    11-17-12 03:02 PM
    I like that allot and I really mean it!! I don't care if it looks like symbian or similar OS's, it's the retro look and feel that beats out some modern common things. When was the last time an old loved design was taken and reenhanced to look, function and perform better than it did before?

I don't care if it even resembled android or windows phone, or webOS, or iOS. It'll be awesome if it's considered. But I like how the current blackberry 10 alpha design is now, even though I don't have one myself.
    11-17-12 04:06 PM
    I'm going to play devil's advocate...

And say No?

No, discredit to your Idea, I think it's a well thought out and a nice concept. I Just don't believe it's a better concept than what RIM has in-place.
    That reason why is because I think we're still stuck on "what looks best for the; Music, BBM, the Weather, Twitter, The News apps..etc" common features that spread across all BB devices that we all love. But! BB10 is different, is has 1000's (I hope) of apps that aren't common productivity apps; Browser, Games, Camera, Gallery, Youtube, Instagram, Alarm clock..etc I can go on forever (figuratively).

Which mean we have to compensate and adjust are active frames back to the four-rectangle-style-on-one-screen concept. Or we'll have a problems with apps that'll have blank space, pictured-esque apps won't show properly, apps that literally need to show nothing (Like the calculator) won't look stupid. And than we have to ask ourselves how much "Little information" do we need to see before we're gonna click into the app anyways? Isn't that why we have the flow concept that RIM created? So, it doesn't feel like we're just clicking in and out of an app, but instead flowing right through it, in and out.

I love what's in place now. It'll always show you four beautiful Active Frames regardless of what apps are open, There perfectly symmetrical, There just basic enough to inspire room for more improvement and there not customizable (which I believe is important). And no cheap gimmicks, It's raw, simple and beautiful.

I personally like your idea. I think the idea of interActive Frames is Brilliant. I just believe that these factors need to be considered, before anyone decides that "This is the next step for BB10!".
    V22 likes this.
    11-17-12 06:45 PM
    The way Active Frames are designed now work really well with flow and the overall design of BlackBerry 10. They do not need to be changed into iOs style things. Stacking Active Frames in the manner proposed breaks FLOW and clutters the screen. From a functional standpoint, Active Frames are actually running applications. Developers already have APIs to make active frames.

If you wish to get notifications other systems are in place to handle notifications. Red LED light, The BlackBerry Hub, notification alerts from PIM, etc.
    RIM is really thinking things through with BB10. Let's let them show us the goods.
    V22 likes this.
    11-17-12 11:54 PM
    Isn't this just Android widgets? I think it could be useful to add a play/pause option to Active Frames but I don't like the idea of completely custom controls per app.

I just feel that if you want to have custom designed windows on your home screen with app controls then maybe you should go with Android as RIM are going or a unique style (which I love) and I think that if they went with this there would be less differentiation for the platform
    11-18-12 01:23 AM
    This not bad you know you took your idea to design level as well.

Not sure if its my setting but dont the side buttons act as volume,next,previous,pause??

I'll have to see the demo with the spanish guy on the music and app/frame usage again.But its good thing to think of I see where you going with the idea.
    It would allow one to use active frames and half open them as drop down menus.It wont work for everything but it would work well for sport scoreboards,music players,and calender but thats about all I can think of now.

But I dont know if it would work better than what RIM has which its pretty solid the current format when you see the active frame you just blow it up do what you do and swipe away qulick and slick PB style.The blowing up of the frames make sure you always get a big screen view and you do your thing and just swipe it away no problem.

Your idea is not bad it works for some things but if you can blow something up get full view and put it away quick getting stuff with tiny view and small info seems a waste.
    11-18-12 11:33 AM
    Your idea is not bad it works for some things but if you can blow something up get full view and put it away quick getting stuff with tiny view and small info seems a waste.
    I think the OP suggests this for a few limited apps only and not across the board. This works very well if I'm listening to music and working on my laptop/desktop. I wouldn't want to open the full app just to change the song. With these interactive frames, I could touch a button and change the song that's playing, and/or see the next twitter update and so on. For me, this is a good example. I had a 8520 before my current 9810 and the 8520 had physical buttons to change the song, which I miss and can't do on the 9810. I usually prefer working with the music playing (especially after lunch when I'm all drowsy).
    11-19-12 11:18 AM