HI All,

I have been using BB z10 since it was launched. I am on 10.2 with stl 100 -1 device. It all started when i bought my z10, i noticed that the inspite of the sound notification on, my z10 wont play sounds, rings, message tones but i could hear notifications by plugging in the earphones.

I tried several reboots, software updates everything but no luck. I also searched various forums for an answer. So i called up my service agent and told him the problem. He said that i will have to roll back to old version or keep the phone in the service centre. Since i had to travel i decided to use the phone with no sound notification from the speakers.

One day, it started ringing and the notifications were back!! but the joy was shortlived as the sound went mum again.

After several days i found out the solution accidently. I was trying to check the battery size and number by removing the back cover while listening to songs by using earphones and then i started to check the back surface of the mobile. I removed the earphones to be more comfortable. Soon i discovered that there is a way to bring back the sound. The steps are

1. Play some music on the phone with out earphones
    2. Remove the back cover of z10
    3. Try to press/tap near the battery end where the screws are present and there is a small rectangle. Also try to tap/press on the 4 squares holes.
    you can hear the songs which is playing from the speaker.

This works everytime my sound is gone. I know this is a hardware problem and not a software problem which lot of z10 users are facing.

I will soon try to replace my phone. Hope BB acknowledges this problem.
    12-10-13 02:51 AM

1. Play some music on the phone with out earphones
    2. Remove the back cover of z10
    3. Try to press/tap near the battery end where the screws are present and there is a small rectangle. Also try to tap/press on the 4 squares holes.
    you can hear the songs which is playing from the speaker.

This works everytime my sound is gone. I know this is a hardware problem and not a software problem which lot of z10 users are facing.

I will soon try to replace my phone. Hope BB acknowledges this problem.
    First time I'm reading about this issue. Can't be as widespread as your eluding to. Definitely a hardware issue and you should get it fixed. No need to keep pulling the back off and doing some magic finger boinking on the back cover to get sound working again.
    12-10-13 06:42 AM
    I think it's been reported before.Had the same thing happen to me. Shorting somewhere along the bottom

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    12-10-13 08:15 AM
    Actually this does seem to be a fairly widespread issue. A simple google search of "z10 sound not working" will show you that. And it has been reported here before. But when I try the suggested fix my sound only comes back on for about a minute. Then it goes away again. Seems to be a short that's fixed by applying pressure, so it would make sense that any movement of the phone after that causes it to short out again. Definitely a hardware issue.

This is my second z10 lemon, both hardware issues, and that's if we don't count the replacement z10 that they tried to give me that wouldn't even boot up in the store. Not looking forward to replacing my device again. I'm about as loyal to blackberry as anyone could be, but after what I've been through with Verizon not owning up to these issues (which means blackberry isn't owning up to these issues), I'm at a loss for what to do.
    12-13-13 01:51 PM