It's been 2 days since the beautiful Z10 box arrived in all it's glory but this afternoon data services were withdrawn from her Torch so the dirty deed of swapping everything over fell to me and I have to say BB Link did NOT let me down.

Compared to February when I upgraded my Torch to Z10 this was an absolute breeze. Back then BB Link refused to recognise the Torch at first and it took me 3 goes to get anything going. Now, 1 go, easy peezy.

All contacts/history/SMS/BBM & Facebook have come over no problem at all helped by the sudden realisation (on my part) that I could just take out the media card in the Torch and pop it in the new Z10. The loss of videos and pics of our daughter was her biggest fear and you should have seen her face once I put the card in the Z10 and it began to populate across into pictures and videos.

You should have seem mine too as unbeknownst to her I'd gone into File Manager and (naively) told the Z10 to copy the images across, something I didn't know it was already doing already, it turned out, and this caused a reboot(!). This made for a rather panicky 5 minutes on my part until everything popped up perfectly.

Have to say that, for this layman, it wasn't clear to me from BB literature, especially that which came with the box, that I could take the media card from my old Torch and slot it in the new Z10 (I've done the same myself tonight). Perhaps they should make a point of saying 'if you have a media card with your old phone simply slot it in your Z10/Q10 device and all will be well'? Or do they already and I've missed it?

For us parents there's precious memories on our phones and we're scared stiff of losing them!

Anyway, for anyone who'se interested, the nervous missus is undergoing keyboard therapy tomorrow as that was her other biggest fear, moving from a physical one on the Torch to the Z10 so will post on progress....
    05-29-13 05:29 PM
    Nice going! When the keyboard therapy starts, just tell her to "simply type" , . . The Z10 has the best vkeyboard on planet. But then,...you know this already.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:36 PM
    Hope the both of you enjoy the BB10 experience together awesome!

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:37 PM
    Makes me a little more confident about upgrading from my Torch. Still concerned about getting bit by the duplicate/triplicate Contacts bug.
    05-29-13 06:49 PM
    My contacts transferred seamlessly as well from my 9800 to my z10

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 08:11 PM
    Because I use outlook 365 I just depended on office 2010 to do the work. I added and modded my contacts for my email account and they all went up to the cloud and down to the phone no problem. Ofcourse I used desktop manager to sync things in outlook before.
    05-29-13 08:16 PM
    I never had any trouble going from my 9800 to the Z10 either. I have to say the keyboard makes me laugh sometimes. A while ago I was typing and I looked at the screen and it was just a string of letters, complete hash, but down below the words I wanted to type were displayed.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 10:40 PM
    Ok, so all went well with the missus in day one and then she said the words I was dreading... 'That's funny, it's switched itself off'. Today is day 3, 3 random reboots by 2pm...

Mine is rock solid in that respect, she is now moaning a bucket load. I could cry! Being in the UK and hearing more about this as a US problem I wasn't expecting this. Please BB, hurry with the update.

For my sanity, PLEASE

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:31 AM
    Oh, and even though I may have a busted LED on mine there is NO WAY I am swapping this until I know it is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:33 AM
    Oh, you are so right about the awesome keyboard but it's a real culture change to just blaze through the words and then let the space bar have its wicked way, rather than correct yourself as you go along. She's getting there though...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:40 AM
    Please be aware because of the speed and resolution of the Z10, your SD Card should be a class 10. It is very unlikely the media card from her Torch is a class 10. She may run in to problems making full resolution videos on the Z10 to the media card. I'd recommend you copy everything from her current card to a PC, get a 64GB class 10 card, format it in the Z10 and copy everything back.
    05-31-13 08:54 AM
    Wow! Really? Ok, thanks, will look into it.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:55 AM
    The good lady has calmed right down now, my 5 year old daughter said 'don't worry Mummy, your phone is just like Daddy's ', took it off her and 2 swipes and a press later handed her it back where the boss wanted to be in the first place.

'Well', she admitted, 'if my 5 year old can do it...!'

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:15 AM
    Was it link or protect?
    My transition from my Torch to the z10 was seamless thanks to the BlackBerry Protect on the Torch

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 12:14 PM
    Link, worked perfectly. Which was a surprise since, as I said, when I did mine back in February it took 3 goes for Link to stop telling me the Torch wasn't a BB10 device. This time it recognised it straightaway and everything was seemless. Must have been part of one of the Link upgrades

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 12:56 PM
    Her media card might be the cause of the reboots seeing how it is coming from a Torch. Glad everything is semi going well for you! :P
    05-31-13 01:10 PM
    I don't think it is as since I discovered I could do it I've done the same with mine with the media card from my old Torch and mine hasn't missed a beat.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 02:14 PM
    Her media card might be the cause of the reboots seeing how it is coming from a Torch. Glad everything is semi going well for you! :P
    For what it's worth my memory card is straight from my Torch and I've had one reboot, maybe two since I've had the phone. I don't think that the media card alone would be the problem nor the fact it came from a Torch, but that is pure speculation on my part

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:05 PM
    Well, we're onto day 5 and there's been no reboots since so fingers and toes crossed, we seem to be ok
    06-01-13 07:03 AM
    Just a quick update,

1) Just like everyone else (including me) who has had this wonderful phone she's now getting to grips with the change, particularly the keyboard and liking it!

2) There is a definite issue in that just because it's me she won't let me show her stuff on the phone! Today I showed a friend the time shift camera on a picture of our combined families and he nearly keeled over (God, I wish my iPhone did that, it's amazing!) The boss said 'does my new phone do that?' 'Yes, I tried to show you it the other day...' was my reply...

3) I was wrong about the reboots, it's been rebooting at least twice a day, she just hadn't told me.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:42 PM