I have had my z10 for a couple weeks and I charge it every night most of the time it never is fully charged always says 99% and if it doses get to 100% it is minutes and I am below 99% without using the phone what so ever..do I have a Defective battery ? Or is this normal.. thanks in advance for any help.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:33 AM
    You must be on VZW or an older OS build. With the newest OS release (at least on AT&T) I no longer have this issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:41 AM
    Still happens to me and I'm on the newest build

Posted vai CB10 - STL 100-01
    04-28-13 08:47 AM
    You must be on VZW or an older OS build. With the newest OS release (at least on AT&T) I no longer have this issue.

Posted via CB10
    I am on AT&T with the newest Os 10.0.10.116. As long as it's not a bad battery I'm good thanks for the help

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:55 AM
    This happens to me and I am on the newest leak.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 09:03 AM
    This is normal. Phones are designed to discharge once they hit 100 percent. If they didn't you would eventually overcharge the battery and cook your phone.
    vptsff likes this.
    04-28-13 09:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm on AT&T and I have the same thing happening to me. And as of last night into this morning, according to Battery Guru, it's only at 98%.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 09:48 AM
    Please remember that the battery "percent remaining" value is simply an estimate, calculated by the OS, to try to give you a general idea how much capacity remains. It is not precise, and a one or two percent difference really shouldn't be used as a basis for assuming there's any problem.

The OS periodically recalculates the "health" (max capacity) of the battery and that can lead to small jumps in the % remaining value as well. It's possible the devices that are showing only 98% after fully charging will, after a few more days, show something else... possibly 100%. It's also possible they will not, but this doesn't really mean you've lost capacity.

Note also that the OS itself rounds the value (in Settings -> Hardware) to the nearest 5%, partly or entirely because of this inaccuracy. Third-party battery apps generally show the precise value, but greater precision doesn't mean greater accuracy.

I'd suggest if you have this, check the voltage after the device is fully charged (charging power drops to 0W) and just after you unplug it (allowing a few seconds for readings to update in Battery Guru). If it shows about 4.3V (give or take a tenth of a volt) then you can probably just ignore the slight discrepency.

Also if you're worried, you can do a "drain test" (see under the Diagnostics page in Battery Guru) and get a more precise measurement of your actual capacity. I'm confident that those with 98% will not see any significant reduction in battery life compared to what they were seeing when it was getting to 100% (if it ever did).
    rjkolo likes this.
    04-28-13 10:15 AM
    Please remember that the battery "percent remaining" value is simply an estimate, calculated by the OS, to try to give you a general idea how much capacity remains. It is not precise, and a one or two percent difference really shouldn't be used as a basis for assuming there's any problem.

The OS periodically recalculates the "health" (max capacity) of the battery and that can lead to small jumps in the % remaining value as well. It's possible the devices that are showing only 98% after fully charging will, after a few more days, show something else... possibly 100%. It's also possible they will not, but this doesn't really mean you've lost capacity.

Note also that the OS itself rounds the value (in Settings -> Hardware) to the nearest 5%, partly or entirely because of this inaccuracy. Third-party battery apps generally show the precise value, but greater precision doesn't mean greater accuracy.

I'd suggest if you have this, check the voltage after the device is fully charged (charging power drops to 0W) and just after you unplug it (allowing a few seconds for readings to update in Battery Guru). If it shows about 4.3V (give or take a tenth of a volt) then you can probably just ignore the slight discrepency.

Also if you're worried, you can do a "drain test" (see under the Diagnostics page in Battery Guru) and get a more precise measurement of your actual capacity. I'm confident that those with 98% will not see any significant reduction in battery life compared to what they were seeing when it was getting to 100% (if it ever did).
    Peter, it might be just me, kind of like a placebo effect, but it seems like if I leave Battery Guru in an active frame, it seems to help stablize the battery and it seems to drain slower and last slightly longer than prior to having the app. Any speculation about how it could be possible?

Also I've always had the issue of my battery charging to 100% and then drop to 99% and constantly looking to charge to 100% and showing the flashing lightening bolt on the battery to indicate that the battery is constantly changing. Can you tell me if this is normal for the OS, or the battery?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 11:56 AM
    Peter, it might be just me, kind of like a placebo effect, but it seems like if I leave Battery Guru in an active frame, it seems to help stablize the battery and it seems to drain slower and last slightly longer than prior to having the app. Any speculation about how it could be possible?
    Ha! Much as I'd love to say running Battery Guru will, with no further action on your part, increase your battery life, it's simply not the case. It neither boosts your battery, nor measurably reduces the battery life. It's either a sort of placebo effect or just normal statistical variability.

Or, possibly (and this is its primary purpose), it might have focused your attention on your battery and device settings and modes of operation. Maybe without even really paying attention, you've tweaked a few settings to optimize things.

Also I've always had the issue of my battery charging to 100% and then drop to 99% and constantly looking to charge to 100% and showing the flashing lightening bolt on the battery to indicate that the battery is constantly changing. Can you tell me if this is normal for the OS, or the battery?
    I'm not clear on what you're describing there. Have you checked the CSV export file? Once the device is fully charged, if it's basically idle it shouldn't be re-activating charging very often on its own. Does yours somehow cycle back and forth between charging and not charging? I wouldn't say that's entirely normal, but it might not be very rare either. I just haven't seen it yet myself.
    04-28-13 12:10 PM
    Peter,

See this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-787225-new/

And this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-786516-new/

I hope these give a better explanation.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 02:28 PM
    Serkle K, okay, it seems you're just asking about the fact that sometimes the device appears to charge to only 99%? If so, I think I basically covered that already back in post #8 in this thread. Basically I would NOT spend any time worrying about seeing only 99%, since it does NOT mean you're not getting a full charge.

The end-of-charge is a very difficult thing to judge for lithium-ion batteries, and the OS is trying to max it out without risking damage to the battery. It's doing this under difficult conditions, where you may be turning the screen on and off or other activity may be resulting in sporadic jumps in voltage or current or other measurements.

It may sometimes give up a tad earlier than other times, but I believe the resulting difference in capacity is going to be extremely small... less than the "1%" would suggest.

As with many other battery-related oddities, the best advice here is don't worry about it.

If, on the other hand, it stops charging at 95% -- consistently -- or it never appears to stop charging... those are more likely signs of a real problem.

But reaching only 99%, or dropping back to 99% immediately after you take it off the charger? Absolutely not a cause for concern.
    04-28-13 02:42 PM
    Okay, thanks for your time and the information!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 02:58 PM
    Im on 10.0.10.99 yhay me

Blackberry for life!
    04-28-13 02:59 PM