I'm seeing more posts about battery drain after trying with due diligence of all recourses from un installing all apps tuning down the phone via settings etc. No way should we make saving battery life as a part of the BlackBerry experience.

To give you an idea, BlackBerry is running bozohttpd which is a webserver in our phones and there's no way to turn it off. This webserver waits for connection to computer for link on port 4455 whether for programming backing up data side loading etc. There should be a switch to turn this server off and close this port unless we need it. BlackBerry can easily put this switch in the settings. If not, change this implementation to a dynamic driver model as iOS has it. If they do this, any connection will communicate directly to hardware, the port can be kept open without draining battery and no server would be needed for such a simple task.

Using a Webserver to initialize connection is a sloppy implementation especially given how capable the Z10 is. Heck QNX can even manage drivers such as this easily. It was made for dynamic driver loading. Scratching your heads as to why they didn't leverage this yet?

There's also 2 more undocumented demons/ servers running which I cannot find information to, but that's for another day.

Anyone can argue that bozohttpd is a small webserver, but anything even as small as an ssh daemon running in the background of iOS even drains its battery. Google ssh battery drain and you'll see it all over the place. So the jailbreak community wrote an app just for switching that server off and on when needed. It is just that no one has been able to turn off this server to really test the difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 01:06 PM
    I did Google that and found no consensus and some down right ridiculous statements ie) "think of it as another wi-fi".

A daemon that starts and then listens to connections without doing anything else will consume memory but not battery. In order for it to consume battery it has to run. In order for it to run some connection will have to be made to the port. Now if the process is doing something else in a timeout callback or other thread then it would use the processor and consume battery. The question then would be how important that other processing is.

If iOS can do it with a "dynamic driver model", then why is there an ssh daemon running on non-jailbroken devices?
    04-23-13 01:55 PM
    I did Google that and found no consensus and some down right ridiculous statements ie) "think of it as another wi-fi".

A daemon that starts and then listens to connections without doing anything else will consume memory but not battery. In order for it to consume battery it has to run. In order for it to run some connection will have to be made to the port. Now if the process is doing something else in a timeout callback or other thread then it would use the processor and consume battery. The question then would be how important that other processing is.

If iOS can do it with a "dynamic driver model", then why is there an ssh daemon running on non-jailbroken devices?
    There is no SSH daemon unless you jailbreak it and install Open-SSHd on your iPhone.

SSHD does use memory, but even when not connected, does in fact drain the battery, which was why an app was created by one of the prominent members of the jb community.

You have logic in saying that unless it is connected to a client, some thread would be doing something using up battery; otherwise it's just sitting there using memory--apparently that is a false statement and I can attest to that. To the many posts and threads about this from the iOS jailbreak community, How are you so sure? Have you used sshd on iOS? Did you write open-ssh? Did you write bozohttpd? What is your area of work that which makes you so sure?

Battery Life::Will BlackBerry Listen to This?-photo.jpg
    04-23-13 05:06 PM