How many of you in here agrees with me that the battery life 1800 mAH is not good enough for such high users like me? I mean all the other smartphones out there have got like more than 2000mAH while the BB10 stays low.
    11-30-12 06:18 PM
    So buy another battery. If you had a apple you'd be sol. Unless you want one of those big bulky battery packs on it..
    11-30-12 06:31 PM
    Kind of a useless response to a legitimate issue, sparky. If one didn't like the audio, would you suggest bringing along a pair of external speakers?

And as for Apple, though I don't have one myself, on a recent vacation, my 9900 was dead by 8:30 pm every day, but my wife's iPhone was still going strong by the time we got back to the room. Sure, the battery isn't replaceable, but if it lasts all day, why would it need to be? Based on that experience, your response is basically the Apple loses out, because although the battery life is better, one can't carry around a spare. How do you explain the spare to users of other products with decent battery life?
    anon(3310921) and Darlaten like this.
    11-30-12 07:12 PM
    How many of you in here agrees with me that the battery life 1800 mAH is not good enough for such high users like me? I mean all the other smartphones out there have got like more than 2000mAH while the BB10 stays low.
    how do you know its not good enough? we havent even seen the device yet, never mind test it out. If the os is optimized for power management, then it'll be plenty, not unlike the iphone (which is like 1400 mah?). If it's still not enough, then you can carry a spare battery with you. Its not ideal, but it does work.
    Pdinos3, DJM626 and bluetroll like this.
    11-30-12 07:54 PM
    While I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions, as that is what forums are supposed to be for, one thing I can not understand is how a lot think, or feel that if the battery has a lower rating, it is not going to be good, if the unit does not have a quad core processor, it's going to suck, if it takes longer then 5 seconds to boot up, Rim should just throw in the towel etc. More, or faster for that matter does not always mean better. It is all about how the entire unit works together to create the "ultimate" BB experience. I'm just glad this day will soon be here, and I will own a piece of greatness, from design of the unit to specs. The way the final product appears and functions as a whole is going to be a lot better then a lot of what is out there right now. I'm totally satisfied with that fact alone
    bluetroll likes this.
    11-30-12 08:29 PM
    I have to admit, I judge the 1,800 mAh battery as a fail when it was first announced but this was based off past experience from my iPhone and various Android device which are pretty lackluster without a big honking battery pack or spare batteries. We shall know soon enough though....
    11-30-12 09:17 PM
    Well if it's bad, you can always go for the Aristo. A Beast of a Phone if those specs are true!
    12-01-12 02:31 AM
    Sorry but this sounds strange to me .... Why would 1800mah be bad? My iphone only has 1400 . If i use it normally it lasts 1 and a half day ! If i play a lot of games it lasts 1day.....so 1800 should not give any probs i guess...

Go Rimmmmmm ! Waiting for bb10
    12-01-12 03:07 AM
    i think people confuse battery capacity -the mah - with battery life.

Battery life is a mix of battery size, physical components (screens and sensors etc) and most importantly the way the OS handles it all. Considering the device isnt out yet nor has the final software been set, id say making a judgement now would be foolhardy.
    Masahiro likes this.
    12-01-12 05:56 AM
    The odds are that when this device launches that this battery will not provide the best available battery life out of all available devices, but equally true is that they will be more than competitive with competing products and will likely work hard to improve it even after it has launched because that is what we have seen from them recently with most people seeing a clear jump in battery life going from bb7 to bb7.1.

People working at Rim are just as able to see the battery life as anyone else, so the idea that they would not know by now whether or not the battery size they have chosen for this device is sufficient or not just seems very unlikely even if the heaviest users may opt to carry a second battery to avoid the need to carry a charger or external battery pack which is the only option for heavy users on other devices where there battery is sealed in.
    12-01-12 10:18 AM
    I certainly hope RIM does not go down the path of inflexible battery life. Certainly with the 9900, the battery life was relatively poor to my 9700. It should be proportional to the performance-- that's what makes a great phone and I really want RIM to revisit its roots.
    12-02-12 05:58 AM
    While I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions, as that is what forums are supposed to be for, one thing I can not understand is how a lot think, or feel that if the battery has a lower rating, it is not going to be good, if the unit does not have a quad core processor, it's going to suck, if it takes longer then 5 seconds to boot up, Rim should just throw in the towel etc. More, or faster for that matter does not always mean better. It is all about how the entire unit works together to create the "ultimate" BB experience. I'm just glad this day will soon be here, and I will own a piece of greatness, from design of the unit to specs. The way the final product appears and functions as a whole is going to be a lot better then a lot of what is out there right now. I'm totally satisfied with that fact alone
    Well said sir.

I'm starting to get really annoyed by people pronouncing doom on BB10 because of arbitrary specs somehow not being enough, despite most of the specs beating the 'somewhat popular and well recieved' iPhone5. Specs are meaningless compared to experience. My Torch has a 1300mAh battery and usually gets about 14 hours of extremely hardcore use on a charge (my media player all day, maybe 8 hours of web browsing, near constant e-mails and IMs, frequent LONG calls, serving internet to my playbook, need I go on? ), I normally have to change battery on the last leg of my commute.

Battery size does not equate to battery life. Specs do not equate to experience. If you think that the GHz or mAh or any other number is what determines how good a phone is, then you don't know enough about how technology works. Everything works as well as the operating system is designed to let it. If you have a PC thats maybe five or more years old, compare its performance running Windows 7 to running Ubuntu. Both are fully featured OS, but one assumes a comparatively high level of specs and anything below that means it will suck. The other assumes almost no specs, and anything more makes it more awesome.

Edit -

If you seriously worry about making it through the day on a single battery, then be happy that you can buy another battery or use any charger. There is no obvious way to tell exactly what the battery life will be for any persons typical day. I suspect, based off of my past experience with RIM, that they will get longer battery life for any given application than the competitors. But that doesn't mean it will last through one of my occasional 20 hour filming days. It's not a normal persons working day, and it'd be foolish of me to assume that just because I want it to last that long that any device has enough juice for that.

Since you have the option of another battery, then why not get one anyway? You never know when you'll be stuck at an airport with your charger in your checked luggage. You never know when the power will be out when you get home. Spare batteries rock.
    DJM626, Masahiro and gokulesh like this.
    12-02-12 09:07 AM
    Battery size does not equate to battery life. Specs do not equate to experience. If you think that the GHz or mAh or any other number is what determines how good a phone is, then you don't know enough about how technology works. Everything works as well as the operating system is designed to let it. If you have a PC thats maybe five or more years old, compare its performance running Windows 7 to running Ubuntu. Both are fully featured OS, but one assumes a comparatively high level of specs and anything below that means it will suck. The other assumes almost no specs, and anything more makes it more awesome.
    This is how some people judge a phone without doing any actual research. It's simply more convenient for them to look at a few numbers to determine how "good" a piece of hardware is, whether it's the mAH rating on a battery, the megapixel rating on a phone camera, the MHz rating of the processor, how many cores it has, etc... OEMs know this, and so they'll try and throw together hardware with the highest numbers, and a lot of people will buy them up thinking they are superior to the competition based on that.

To bring this back on topic, the mAH rating means nothing in terms of how long it will last without knowing the actual current requirement of the circuit (device), which the mAH rating is divided by. Therefore, you could have a 5000mAH battery, but if the circuit requires 5000mA, the battery will last one hour. On the other hand, if you have a 1800mAH battery, but the circuit only requires 50mA, the battery will last 36 hours.

More information can be found on this website: Battery 101 - the basics
    12-02-12 03:15 PM