Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimberry Storm
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    766 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Battery Life much better a week or so in - Just like Playbook

Just like the PlayBook it appears that the Z10 profiles the battery and improves with time. Yesterday I went from 04:45 (yea, early flight..!) right through to 21:15 still with 9% battery before I put it on charge in my car on the way back from the airport. This included 60+ emails sent and recieved on just my corporate account, let alone countless gmail, SMS, 9 phone calls, one of which was a conference call, browsing, 3D game (the beach buggy one), listening to music on the flight, BBM, SMS and sundry other bits and bobs. For me that is pretty damn good and is as good if not a little better than my 9810.

Who else is seeing this type of behaviour?
    iPhone 5S, Space Black on O2 UK
    iPad Mini Retina WiFi, 64Gb

My BB History: 7130 >8700 >8100 >8120 >8120(RED) >9000 >9500 >9520 >9810 >Z10
    Plus a bunch of other pre-production devices, including the only RED Pearl Flip ever made.
    CrackBerry User

I have that noticed as well. Very happy with the battery life now.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

I think some of this is due to "the exiting new device" period of adjustment. I know when I get a new device I can't keep my hands off it for a while, usually two weeks for me, then I wind down to normal, or regular use. When that happened the Battery life gets better. Just my $.02.
    GSFWR likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

That's good news. Right now my Z10 gets me through the day no problem, but I'm not a heavy user. I do like how the standby drain is way less than on my 9900, even with only a week of owning it
    CrackBerry Abuser

The standby drain is actually very good.

Today was my first time using the maps app and leaving the screen on constantly... after a 20 minute drive the phone dropped from 100% to 84% and that's with the screen brightness set to about 1/5th of the bar.

Granted the first 30% of the battery seems to drain far faster than the back 70% but that to me was an alarming drop in 20 minutes! (I also had the audio navigation off, it was all screen and GPS use.)

I definitely think I will only be using the gps/maps feature in a pinch!

-Chris-
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by zephryn View Post
    That's good news. Right now my Z10 gets me through the day no problem, but I'm not a heavy user. I do like how the standby drain is way less than on my 9900, even with only a week of owning it
    And for heavy users, I bought the extra batter and charger bundle from Crackberry. You can use it as a portable batter (plugs into side) without swapping battery out of the back. And because it's tiny and light, I've used my phone one handed with the charger plugged in.
    CrackBerry Master

This is normal for smartphones. The software is pessimistic to start and monitors/calibrates the battery during normal use. With the Dev Alpha B I saw battery go from 4-5 hours in the beginning to 20+ hours of normal use (calls, mail, sms, social media, browsing, music) now. Heavy gamers, streamers or people in areas with spotty coverage may have different results. But for a modern smartphone, it's quite good.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    CrackBerry Abuser

You saw a DEV Alpha go to 20+ hours?

People around this forum are calling people liars for saying their full release Z10's are lasting for 14-16 hours.

So it's less of a battery coming up to speed and more of a the o/s is reading the battery more accurately thing? I really thought it was in my head the first 3 days as the phone lasted longer but I've gone two days straight now with great battery life. I had it off charge yesterday from 8:10 am to 11 pm and the phone was at 66%... mind you, it idled quite a bit of the day with no use.

-Chris-
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    23003E12

I was initially very disappointed with the battery but after two weeks I find I can get up to 17 hours of regular use -- heavy email, some browsing, music streaming and gaming --. I have found some issues with calibration of the battery including a time when the device was reading the battery power wrong until I restarted. Otherwise I'm no longer too worried about battery use.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

Well 3 days i have had the Z10 and TWO Charges now and this last charge is at 25% now and i have gotten 17hrs out of it so far in usage, which is phone calls, browsing and some gaming, basically mdeium to lite usuage, plus it slept over night like i did as i was tired..

So i would that most people will get 10-12 hrs or more or less depends on usage.

My first day out of the box it was at around 50% and i got 10hrs from it,

FIRST CHARGE day two, i got 12-14hrs out of it.

SECOND CHARGE day 3 now is today... so far 17hrs and its at 25% when it gets to 10% i will charge it again.
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Careful xamdam... lots of ridiculous users around here will call you a liar and write essays because you didn't post up a forensic account of your useage, trying to blow holes in your account when you have no reason to be untruthful.

By the way your results mirror mine. Now if only BB would deal with the shoddy cable/cube they gave with the Z10.

-Chris-
    CrackBerry User

Totally agree. On launch day here in Toronto, I noticed my bb would be drained by 4:00-4:30pm with it fully charged at 8am in the morning. Yesterday, i unplugged at 8am and got down to 5% by 11pm. Same amount of use from the first week with the exception of the first day when i was trying to figure things out and was setting everything up.

I bought the extra batt with charger case and i haven't even used it once yet. The real test will come when the BB app store actually gets more apps that I actually use. I will probably need the spare batt then but hopefully that will come sooner rather than later.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ya, I'm happy with the improvement. Was gone by 5pm at first but now im at 40% at 5pm and 10% by 11pm good enough for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

"And for heavy users, I bought the extra batter and charger bundle from Crackberry. You can use it as a portable batter (plugs into side) without swapping battery out of the back. And because it's tiny and light, I've used my phone one handed with the charger plugged in. "

Awesome! I didn't know about the portable-charger bit!

Too bad / luckily for me I've already picked up a couple of portable emergency-chargers...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

When I first got my z10 the battery was ok. Lasted a day. Yesterday it lasted 5 hours with same use. But today I unplugged at 7am its now 22.45pm. And I still have 40%. Impressed, apart from yesterday's weird drain.

CrackBerry Addict

i'm also experiencing this... the battery life is definitely better this week then last week
    Z10 - Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    25D9ED96

I'm at 12 hours of moderate use and 55%. Turn off LTE and push

CrackBerry User

Mine is definitely getting better as well. It has gone from 9.5 hours to almost 11 with constant use and lots of blue tooth. .. and still improving

CrackBerry Abuser

For me the battery is also improving a lot... used to need plug in after 8 hours, today after 2 complete charge discharge cycles I reached 14 hours before it powered off.

I do leave LTE, blue tooth, wifi, etc off but had quite a few apps running all day. From what I recall my 9900 wasn't much better.

Hopefully things will keep improving after a few more cycles but 14 hours is plenty for my needs.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,269 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Makes sense. I wouldn't have expected anything else. I usually try to break it in by day 5. But this is good new to hear.