So, my Z10 battery has been pretty bad. I've had it since March and the battery has always been this bad. To test it out, I left it on standby for 9 hours and the battery went from 96% to 77%. Not good. I never leave active frames up, my brightness is on the lowest setting possible, and I have gestures while locked off. I'm on rogers and I have the STL-100-2. I'm running the latest software from rogers. I've tried a battery pull and a security wipe, not restoring the app data. What else can I do?

Posted via CB10
    Flexifuel likes this.
    07-25-13 11:00 AM
    So, my Z10 battery has been pretty bad. I've had it since March and the battery has always been this bad. To test it out, I left it on standby for 9 hours and the battery went from 96% to 77%. Not good. I never leave active frames up, my brightness is on the lowest setting possible, and I have gestures while locked off. I'm on rogers and I have the STL-100-2. I'm running the latest software from rogers. I've tried a battery pull and a security wipe, not restoring the app data. What else can I do?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly.. 77% after 9 hours is quite good. There's nothing else you can do, you are just expecting too much..
    chrispdm1 and m1kr0 like this.
    07-25-13 11:05 AM
    So that would mean on standby you would get close to 2 full days of battery life. What kind of battery life do you get during a normal day of usage. Most people are getting a full business day on medium usage. I have light to medium usage and could easily get 24 hours out of it and I think thats good. Id this your first high end smart phone?

There are some apps that are known to be battery drainers, but you said you restored it without any apps, is that correct? Ebay is terrible at draining the battery even when its not running. There are a cople more that I can't remember, Blackberry Travel used to, but not anymore. Have you sideloaded any apps? Also there is a possibility you have a bad battery, have you tried a new one?
    07-25-13 11:05 AM
    Skype, even if closed, drains battery like crazy. And also Ebay.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    07-25-13 11:08 AM
    I forgot to mention I only get 5 hours battery life with this, now is that a problem?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 11:17 AM
    Ok, that's more the information we need. But there is still a lot more that we need. What are you doing during that 5 hours? If your watching YouTube or playing games nonstop, 5 hours is pretty good. What apps are you using, what do you leave open, what do you have on for radios, blue tooth, 4g, nfc etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 11:40 AM
    Ok, that's more the information we need. But there is still a lot more that we need. What are you doing during that 5 hours? If your watching YouTube or playing games nonstop, 5 hours is pretty good. What apps are you using, what do you leave open, what do you have on for radios, blue tooth, 4g, nfc etc.

Posted via CB10
    And even more so then you tube and games, do you make a lot of phone calls? Even just a few minutes on the phone can really suck back the juice.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 11:55 AM
    Yesterday to today: (All values are from Battery Guru.) Yesterday I took my Z off the charger at 04:00 AM as I normally do. By 13:00 it showed about 56% battery life left. Today, it came off the charger at 04:00 and now, at 13:16 it is showing 67% available battery. So whats the difference? Sometime last night a work email address we use to get system notifications from a wide range of IT systems failed. I normally get about 50 emails through the night and about 20 during the day to this account. Since it failed last night, I didn't get any until late this morning when it was fixed. This reduction in email provides more evidence of what I have suspected for a while.

We know universal search indexes email when it comes in so searches will look for words in email as well as other content on the phone. I have suspected these emails are loading down the indexing routine so the Z10 works hard during the day to find words in the emails from the previous night and during the day. By the time I go home the email has slowed way down and the index has caught up. This is, I suspect, why it gets much better battery life at home than at work.

To verify this, I'm going to write a rule in email to move those emails to a folder not visible to my Hub. I will average my power usage with the rule on and off for a few weeks.
    07-25-13 12:27 PM
    jrohland, I will be very interested in what you discover. Thanks for your work in advance.
    07-25-13 12:56 PM
    Denico, you are not making much sense. What's your point? If you must open another thread on the battery: Use the phone, then report back on battery life relative to your user profile/characteristics.

YES, it's very well documented (going back to March/April intro) that the Z battery isn't great and that the Q would come equipped with more juice.

[Note: Also, as an aside, most if not all battery monitors try to force linear drain rates on a function thar isn't alwYs linear. That is, dont get too caught up in Bat %remaing figures. ]

Close this clutter.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 01:14 PM
    Try downloading taskmanager and seeing if there is a rogue android app running in the background. Other than that I would say try a new battery. I'm not sure what you need, you say that you have everything turned off, and only get 5 hours when you are using the phone, but you haven't specified how you are using it. Then you say in 9 hours of standby (ie not using) it goes down 19%. Your doing something funny with it to have that much difference. Or by standby do you mean you turned all the radios off?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 01:35 PM
    Change sync settings, they do not always need to sunc every 30 minutes unless every time you read an email you want your computer to show them as "read". That is what sync is.... P.S. Sync has absolutely nothing to do with "Push".
    07-25-13 02:00 PM
    My battery from 99% - 20% took 6 hours max, it was 2 weeks ago.. but after I downloaded battery optimizer in BlackBerry apps world (this is not promotion haha) and I been using for weeks now, my Z10 can last for 10 hrs from 98% - 20%.. im not on stand by mode, I always fully using my Z10.. mine is STL100-1 anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 02:13 PM
    It is pretty stupid that you can not have surtain apps because the battery drains. My z10 also has a terrible battery, the phone back and front getting very hot. I have ebay and BlackBerry travel. Not active. So I'm supposed to delete them to safe battery life? I m supposed to have a naked z10? What good is my z10 for then
    . I'm a big BlackBerry fan. But I can understand more and more why BlackBerry isn't doing so well. Great phone and OS but due to lake off many popular native apps and battery drain side load apps I understand why people get android or ios.......

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 03:22 PM
    It is pretty stupid that you can not have surtain apps because the battery drains. My z10 also has a terrible battery, the phone back and front getting very hot. I have ebay and BlackBerry travel. Not active. So I'm supposed to delete them to safe battery life? I m supposed to have a naked z10? What good is my z10 for then
    . I'm a big BlackBerry fan. But I can understand more and more why BlackBerry isn't doing so well. Great phone and OS but due to lake off many popular native apps and battery drain side load apps I understand why people get android or ios.......

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily, I was experiencing the same battery life probs with the Galaxy Nexus.
    08-02-13 11:22 AM