Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is this battery drain normal (pic inside)

Hi!

Just a brief question - I am new to the Z10 (coming from 9900):

Is this battery drain normal? This is w/o any real use (one call and a few SMS), 2 ActiveSync email accounts and 1 POP email account, otherwise no background apps:

Is this battery drain normal (pic inside)-img_00000014.jpg

Thanks for any feedback!
    CrackBerry Abuser

No. However, if you just bought the device it will get way better after charging it a few times. When I got mine I used the pre-charged battery and went out with 60%, losing it in about 1.5 hours. Now I get through the day easily, sometimes even through two days (of not too heavy use).

Also, make sure you do not have too many active frames running. Close those you dont need, that helps. And if you have sideloaded android apps or the ebay app, these can be a problem as well.

See how it develops after 1-2 days of using and charging the device, usually (as in, with every phone I ever had) this gets a lot better soon.
    CrackBerry Master

1) Do not drain your lithium battery completely between each charge. You will shorten the life of your lithium battery otherwise
    2) Check what is the version of the O/S that you have. The latest is 10.1.10.85 or .99 depending on where you are. After the software update, you should not see such a odd phenomenon.
    3) How regular are your email accounts checking for emails?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by pandapurple View Post
    1) Do not drain your lithium battery completely between each charge. You will shorten the life of your lithium battery otherwise
    2) Check what is the version of the O/S that you have. The latest is 10.1.10.85 or .99 depending on where you are. After the software update, you should not see such a odd phenomenon.
    3) How regular are your email accounts checking for emails?
    well mine is 10.0.10.90 what do you think that means?? because my battery is pretty terrible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

That doesnt mean anything horrible per se. I have 10.90. It depends on your region and your carrier. My battery is fine for its size. Charge it a few times and see if it gets significantly better. If not, contact your carrier for an exchange batters/device. But give it at least 3-4 days.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by K00na View Post
    That doesnt mean anything horrible per se. I have 10.90. It depends on your region and your carrier. My battery is fine for its size. Charge it a few times and see if it gets significantly better. If not, contact your carrier for an exchange batters/device. But give it at least 3-4 days.
    Yeah i wasnt the OP but i have had mine for 2 weeks maybe i will give it a while longer.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Instant update

First, a few answers:
    • I am using 10.0.10.90
    • The Z10 is already 1 week old/in use
    • I forgot 1 additional IMAP account, so 4 total email accounts
    • The 2 ActiveSync accounts are push by nature, the IMAP and POP accounts are set to 15 minutes
    • This test was done with zero active frames open (besides Battery Guru)

Now, here's the big update: I decided to delete apps that I installed one after the other to see if there is any battery drainer here. I started with "Blackberry Travel", which I installed recently. BINGO, I got lucky with the first shot. Here is the difference - already clearly visible, besides the limited timeframe (trend lines added by me):

Is this battery drain normal (pic inside)-img_00000015a.jpg

I only deleted BB Travel, nothing else has changed. I would have thought that some Android port would be the culprit, not an official BB app.

Will test a little more and report back later today.

EDIT: I just found that this is a known problem...sorry for not scanning the forums first!
    Battery drain from BlackBerry Travel
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have seen reports of BB travel being another big battery eater, yes. That could solve your issues since otherwise you should be nowhere near this graph after a week of usage.
    CrackBerry Master

Well, I have BlackBerry travel and it does not so that to me...

You should be using close to zero Watt on standby (e.g. Phone in holster) which would give you a bear straight lines with steps rather than something that looks like a diagonal.

Maybe try backing up and wiping the decide, monitoring only battery usage for a day with no apps? That kind of battery usage is not right.

Side loaded applications are also implicated im battery drain by some.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

One interesting observation I am just making while checking my battery every hour or so: Battery drain is apparently not linear. Using battery guru, the black line (power consumption) has been close to the middle line (very few energy consumption) for the past hours. I have had the device in my holster, sitting on my desk in the same spot, not doing anything with it. However, I just checked and the black line seems to move slightly downwards over time, indicating a constant increase in power consumption. That is odd, seeing how Im not doing anything more power consuming than I did three hours ago.
    CrackBerry Master

One interesting observation I am just making while checking my battery every hour or so: Battery drain is apparently not linear. Using battery guru, the black line (power consumption) has been close to the middle line (very few energy consumption) for the past hours. I have had the device in my holster, sitting on my desk in the same spot, not doing anything with it. However, I just checked and the black line seems to move slightly downwards over time, indicating a constant increase in power consumption. That is odd, seeing how Im not doing anything more power consuming than I did three hours ago.
    On my Berry idle battery drain is pretty much linear. That would suggest to me that something in the background is causing increased power usage. Maybe a memory leak for example?
    CrackBerry Abuser

It is just a very slight increase. I will monitor it for some more hours and see how it develops.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

The issue with BBTravel is only if you have Automatic Trip Scanning enabled in the settings. Turn that off and you can keep the app installed and not experience the problem.

Posted via CB10
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    The issue with BBTravel is only if you have Automatic Trip Scanning enabled in the settings. Turn that off and you can keep the app installed and not experience the problem.

Posted via CB10
    Automatic Trip scanning is on for me and still I don't have any excess battery drain.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

After you have collected more data on that, would you mind either posting a screenshot which shows it, or export the data from the Records page and email it to me at the support email address you can find in the app's Help page? This sounds unusual.

Posted via CB10
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    16,352 Global Posts

No. However, if you just bought the device it will get way better after charging it a few times. When I got mine I used the pre-charged battery and went out with 60%, losing it in about 1.5 hours. Now I get through the day easily, sometimes even through two days (of not too heavy use).

Also, make sure you do not have too many active frames running. Close those you dont need, that helps. And if you have sideloaded android apps or the ebay app, these can be a problem as well.

See how it develops after 1-2 days of using and charging the device, usually (as in, with every phone I ever had) this gets a lot better soon.
    Also, when you're down to 20%, charge your battery - it helps.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Certainly. Below is one screenshot I just took to show what I mean in gerneal. It shows the past hours. Can you see how the consumption line moves further and further away from middle line during the extended periods of idleness?

Is this battery drain normal (pic inside)-bb_battery_1234.jpg
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (03-26-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

ebay although off was even more extreme for me in the before and after.
    CrackBerry Addict

Some report problems with Diagnostic option turned on
    Settings-Security and privacy-diagnostic.
    8700v-8310-8800-9000-9800-9900-Z10 In white Z30 in Black PP in Black
    BB10 what else ?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Here's another update: Clearly, w/o BB travel, the battery life is actually amazingly good (cyan line shows light usage - ca. 10 txt, 15 emails, 2 calls)

Is this battery drain normal (pic inside)-img_00000017a.jpg
    peter9477 likes this.
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    16,352 Global Posts

The diagnostic needs an option to only send data once a day.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

BB travel is only an issue with autoscan on. Hoepfully they fix that bug soon

I heard eBay also has a battery drain issue, I have no use for the app so never downloaded it to find out
    CrackBerry Addict

@ Cavry, glad your battery life get's better
    8700v-8310-8800-9000-9800-9900-Z10 In white Z30 in Black PP in Black
    BB10 what else ?

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Certainly. Below is one screenshot I just took to show what I mean in gerneal. It shows the past hours. Can you see how the consumption line moves further and further away from middle line during the extended periods of idleness?
    Yes, it's quite clear. I haven't seen that before.

Maybe keep BG running for the next few days and compare, and verify that it's not related to the time of day. Might be increased activity in some accounts? Increase in local wifi activity if you're in an office environment with others? Probably some other theories could be imagined as well... aside from the one you note. (Alternatively, reboot as soon as you notice it's climbed significantly, and see whether it has reset back to the lower levels, then climbs again. Maybe it will not reset, and just come back at the higher power levels after the reboot.)

It's even possible that could arise with a brand new battery, before things are calibrated properly. I think we could, however, disprove that by looking at the export data for that period.
    CrackBerry User

Turn off the WiFi. The BB constantly looks for a WiFi connection when on and it drains like a fat vampire. Turn it on when you are at a location with WiFi you want to use and you will notice a huge difference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast