I think something is wrong here - and a bit more wrong than the typical "battery life sucks" thing - and it takes FOREVER for this thing to charge. Almost as long as it takes to burn the battery up. I've tried all the tips;

Tried using wi-fi only
    Tried using 2G only
    Blue-tooth, NFC, location services off
    Screen brightness around 10%
    Use lock button to wake-up device
    I lock the device as soon as I put it down
    Changed email from push to sync every 15min
    I don't do facebook, twitter, instagram, etc, no apps whatsoever
    No games either
    Adobe Flash off
    I close out every app as soon as I'm done with it, never any on my home screen

The back of the phone constantly being warm tells me something is really draining a serious amount of power at all times, I just don't have any idea what that could be. The only time one of my devices gets warm like this is when I have a really long phone conversation.

I don't know if I'm missing something here or if I should RMA this thing.

Running software 10.1.0.4200, OS 10.1.0.4780 on T-Mobile if that matters.
    12-16-13 12:55 AM
    Try this

Hold down up/down volume key until screen goes black

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 01:21 AM
    I think something is wrong here - and a bit more wrong than the typical "battery life sucks" thing - and it takes FOREVER for this thing to charge. Almost as long as it takes to burn the battery up. I've tried all the tips;

Tried using wi-fi only
    Tried using 2G only
    No games either
    Adobe Flash off

The back of the phone constantly being warm tells me something is really draining a serious amount of power at all times, I just don't have any idea what that could be. The only time one of my devices gets warm like this is when I have a really long phone conversation.

That's definitely not normal. Check battery health in bbve. Also, any sideloaded apps?

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10STL100-3 running 10.2.0.1803
    12-16-13 01:35 AM
    Happens to me too. Exactly the way op described it.

From Zuri my Z10.
    utumalafala likes this.
    12-16-13 01:45 AM
    That's definitely not normal. Check battery health in bbve. Also, any sideloaded apps?
    For those new here, "bbve" stands for BlackBerry Virtual Expert, a free BB10 app in BlackBerry World.
    12-16-13 01:59 AM
    I've downloaded BBVE and it's asking for access to a lot of things that seem very intrusive. For starters, I'm not giving it access to my pictures. That's absolutely ridiculous. That's made me wonder why I should give it access to anything. I unchecked everything and I'll give it a go.

As far as "side-loaded apps" I'm not really even sure what that is. The only app I've downloaded other than this BBVE is a 2-step QR authentication app to setup my email. I deleted everything that was on the phone that it let me.
    12-16-13 02:20 AM
    Was kind of hoping these BBVE "tests" were gonna check something other than things I could check myself - like at least tell me if there are things running in the background.

Well, battery health is green and after 1-1/2 hours of charging, I'm at 39%
    12-16-13 02:31 AM
    Try this

Hold down up/down volume key until screen goes black

Posted via CB10
    How long does it take for this to happen ?

Z10 STL100 -1 10.2.1.1055 - Channel C000194AE
    12-16-13 03:21 AM
    That is so sad. 7 hours of batt use then screen goes black. Ahmmm, have you tried a phone reboot?
    12-16-13 03:40 AM
    Yes, done multiple battery pulls over the course of the past 3 days.

That just shuts the phone off. No different than holding the power button down.

71% Battery 2hrs45min on charge (and yes I'm closing BBVE after I look at it)
    12-16-13 03:47 AM
    Battery dead after 7hrs - made not one call. Back of phone always warm.-picmix-11.678.jpg

I'm doing my best to save battery life on my Z10. And I noticed from the device manager that after I close some apps. They keep running (see pic). So I manually closed them. I just want to ask. Hope closing apps manually isn't going to back fire or cause problems?

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-16-13 03:52 AM

Tried using wi-fi only
    Tried using 2G only
    No games either
    Adobe Flash off

You need to go on OS 2. Battery life increases exponentially. Also, bbve needs access to lots of parts of your phone in order to check if there is something off. But the problem sounds more software than hardware. Can you fully charge the phone, soft reboot the phone via up and down buttons, (never ever battery pull except as a last resort when the device doesn't work at all), and then place the phone off the charger (without using it at all) while you sleep and see if it still runs out of battery. I am using this test to see If you battery problem is due to an app that you open, or if it is automatic, or through you actually just using the phone a lot.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 04:08 AM
    I've downloaded BBVE and it's asking for access to a lot of things that seem very intrusive. For starters, I'm not giving it access to my pictures. That's absolutely ridiculous. That's made me wonder why I should give it access to anything. I unchecked everything and I'll give it a go.
    The message about access to your pictures is a standard one given by the OS when an app requests for permission to access the file system of the device.

We have a calorie monitoring app (Calorie Monitor Pro) that needs this permission in order to do a backup (useful before any upgrade). When they receive this standard message at install time, many users get scared - "why do you need access to my pictures? thief!!!" (despite the fact that the situation is explained in the app description and the app does not access the Internet, so we cannot retrieve those "stolen" data even if we wanted to).

In my opinion you may securely use BlackBerry Virtual Expert because you know it comes from BlackBerry. If BlackBerry wanted to steal your data, they could do it behind the scenes without asking for your permission first.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    12-16-13 04:20 AM
    I'm on the official 10.2

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-16-13 05:04 AM
    4hrs 45mins to charge fully. Just pulled off the charger. I'm gonna re-boot the phone and see how long it lasts this time.
    12-16-13 05:51 AM
    Check your pim services and see if thats constantly running your cpu ragged.
    12-16-13 06:01 AM
    Check your pim services and see if thats constantly running your cpu ragged.
    What's pim services ?

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-16-13 06:12 AM
    4hrs 45mins to charge fully. Just pulled off the charger. I'm gonna re-boot the phone and see how long it lasts this time.
    What apps do you have installed?

BlackBerry Z.....my weapon of choice.
    12-16-13 06:44 AM
    Yes, done multiple battery pulls over the course of the past 3 days.

That just shuts the phone off. No different than holding the power button down.

71% Battery 2hrs45min on charge (and yes I'm closing BBVE after I look at it)
    Try to avoid battery pulls guys. Rebooting your phone with the volume keys is actually a hard reset and just like pulling the battery.

It does take several seconds but do ni release the volume keys until the restarts.

BlackBerry Z.....my weapon of choice.
    12-16-13 06:46 AM
    Update to latest software

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 07:20 AM
    I have no idea what's different this time but 3 hours have passed and the battery is still at 94%. Normally the battery meter would be nearing the half-way mark by now. The device is also cold (I suppose technically room temp, but I was used to it being warm so now it feels cold).

Maybe I screwed something up with all the battery pulls while I was trying to get my BB email forwarding sorted out (had to swap SIM cards multiple times). I'm used to doing battery pulls - I didn't know that was a no-no on BB10. I'll stop doing that from here on out.

The only app I installed was the 2-Step authentication app. I actually deleted every app from the phone that had a waste-basket. Too many icons. I don't like clutter.

I'm actually gonna start turning some things back on now - like email push and 4GLTE. Hopefully I can get a days worth out of a charge this time.
    12-16-13 09:16 AM

Z10 STL100 -1 10.2.1.1055 - Channel C000194AE
    Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black, keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    12-16-13 11:58 AM
    Pim services from what I understand is your phones syncing services
    Syncing your emails contacts and whatnot.
    12-16-13 03:08 PM
    Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black, keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    I see... I have the stl100-1 that's why the volume thing doesn't work. thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:44 PM