I love my Z10 but unfortunately have to return it for another one Monday so I have been try to use blackberry link to back it up so I can restore it to my new one on Monday. The software will not backup though it stays grayed out and I can not get it to work

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tony

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 05:23 PM
    Have you rebooted your BlackBerry Z10 and your computer already? Sometimes, the Backup button gets stuck. BlackBerry Link is new ...
    02-09-13 05:31 PM
    Yes re booted both of them

02-09-13 05:59 PM
    One of your databases is probably causing the issue either on your PC or BlackBerry 10 device. I've seen this happen. Troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Uninstall BlackBerry Link with the option selected to remove all settings (this will NOT delete your existing backups). Reinstall. Re-associate your BlackBerry 10 device or use it "one-time" without associating and try the Backup function again.

2. Try a different computer with a fresh installation of BlackBerry Link from BlackBerry's web site (Google for BlackBerry Link).

3. (More painful) wipe the device and only restore the databases you absolutely need. Try Backup again with a clean device, before restoring and after restoring. This should help you determine what's causing the hang.
    02-09-13 06:06 PM
    One of your databases is probably causing the issue either on your PC or BlackBerry 10 device. I've seen this happen. Troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Uninstall BlackBerry Link with the option selected to remove all settings (this will NOT delete your existing backups). Reinstall. Re-associate your BlackBerry 10 device or use it "one-time" without associating and try the Backup function again.

2. Try a different computer with a fresh installation of BlackBerry Link from BlackBerry's web site (Google for BlackBerry Link).

3. (More painful) wipe the device and only restore the databases you absolutely need. Try Backup again with a clean device, before restoring and after restoring. This should help you determine what's causing the hang.
    That is what I am afraid of because I have not yet backed it up with over a weeks worth of use!!! Haha anyway I will give the first few a try first.

Thanks

02-09-13 06:17 PM
    That is what I am afraid of because I have not yet backed it up with over a weeks worth of use!!! Haha anyway I will give the first few a try first.

Thanks

You're welcome. Better bite the bullet now (over the weekend) than later. Have been in your situation before and it's always better to deal with this sooner rather than later. You may end up in the same spot with a replacement Z10. The problem probably is *not* the device itself.
    02-09-13 06:52 PM
    So I re installed link on the computer and now I get back up cannot be completed...This is just a little bit frustrating. I am glad all I will loose is the settings and apps when I change tomorrow but I wish there was a fix!!

02-10-13 05:30 AM
    So I am exchanging my Z10 today for a new one and I am wondering how to proceed? I know I will have to reset up all my apps and what not but should I try to back it up first nd then do one app at a time or set it up and then do all apps. I have just hoping that I do not have ti change handsets for a really long time I live this phone but not being able to back up settings and apps is a real pai

02-11-13 04:49 AM
    Ok so I switched to a third computer today and finally got it to back up properly. Went to exchange my Z10 and while at the store put in my main Gmail account. Got home restored put in a few passwords and everything back up but noticed there was duplicates in my contacts do I process to delet and re add all accounts and that took care of that.

Back up and running with a fully functional Z10...man I love this phone!!!!!!!

02-11-13 01:53 PM
    Mine can't complete backup either and I couldn't Carry over my contacts. I had to manually entry 729 numbers!
    02-11-13 03:07 PM
    The Link software seem lacking. I too have a greyed out back up button. The wireless sync works a dream though. I did have to try downloading the Link software about eight times because it kept failing. I have never had issues with any other software on my PC, including BB desktop software.
    02-16-13 05:02 AM
    Ok so I switched to a third computer today and finally got it to back up properly. Went to exchange my Z10 and while at the store put in my main Gmail account. Got home restored put in a few passwords and everything back up but noticed there was duplicates in my contacts do I process to delet and re add all accounts and that took care of that.

Back up and running with a fully functional Z10...man I love this phone!!!!!!!

I am just wondering as I have now reloaded the Z10 three times and even went to 10.0.10.261 - which still works nicely - if you had on both other machines a version of DM installed. It seems for some reason that if I had any kind of BB software installed and want to install Link the software would not be able to backup.
    As I have been able to backup on a different machine I am going to re-image mine on Tuesday and will see if a clean wipe will do the trick. Another thing comes to mind, all our drives are encrypted using bitlocker... could that have been a problem I am wondering... time to test it out this week.
    02-17-13 09:38 PM
    That is a good point...my main PC did have DM installed on it before where as the laptop that will back up using Link did not.

Although the backup did not help me anyway because when I got my new Z10 and restored it lots of things did not work properly so I started the Z10 fresh again.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 05:02 AM
    So today I tried to back up again and option is grayed out again...frustrating!!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 11:35 AM
    just out of curiosity, are you using wifi on the z10? I noticed yesterday that when I had my wifi on my phone set to on and was connected to my computer, my computer didn't like the fact that the phone was connected via wifi and being plugged in, as soon as I turned off wifi on my phone, it was smooth sailing.

Maybe this will work with you
    02-25-13 11:51 AM
    Will try when I get home thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 05:04 PM
    Here is what I did to resolve BB Link issues on my W8/64 machine:

1. Find a "BlackBerry Device" driver that is "not working properly" (yellow marked) in Windows 8 Device Manager and "uninstall" it.
    2. Keep the Device Manager open. When you connect your Z10, the "BlackBerry Device" driver should install correctly.
    3. BB Link will now work properly (I can backup/restore device data now).
    02-28-13 01:54 AM
    just out of curiosity, are you using wifi on the z10? I noticed yesterday that when I had my wifi on my phone set to on and was connected to my computer, my computer didn't like the fact that the phone was connected via wifi and being plugged in, as soon as I turned off wifi on my phone, it was smooth sailing.

I rebooted my computer, started BB Link and turned off WIFI on my Z10. I then plugged the Z10 in. It tried to backup but I got a Yellow Triangle Message saying there was no data to backup. I then went to BB Link Help (the Question Mark on top right corner of BB Link App) and used the instructions for 'Set Backup Preferences". All the files to back up had been turned off. I clicked on the check boxes and the option to Backup Now became active. I was then able to back up my Z10.
    Last edited by jdcloutier; 03-27-13 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Provide additional findings
    03-27-13 08:04 AM
    I started having more issues with backing up...now says it did not finish all the time!! Hopefully be fixed in an update.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:44 PM

This worked! Turned off WiFi, connected BBLink & it backed up without a hitch...many thanks!
    04-06-13 05:22 PM
    So I removed the app PC Recipes and it backs up again. Not sure what that app was doing, or if it is just a coincidence but I have a recent backup that makes me happy.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:55 PM
    okay, i was having the same issue and I just noticed I did not check what type of data I wanted to back up in device settings. ie. in blackberry link, then device (z10) settings, then backup settings, check marks for application data, media, and settings.

I checked all of them and the parenthesis changed from (partial) to (full) on the z10 icon immediately to the left of those settings.

this seems to be working. best of luck to you all!
    08-03-13 09:23 AM