Page 1 of 36 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Australian availability for the Z10

To the australians here - just spoke with Mobicity.com.au (who do grey imports). They're looking to source the devices from the UK as soon as possible so (outright only purchase obviously) we might be able to get our hands on one before March

I used these guys to get my 9900 (with Rogers branding) - highly recommend.
    Thanked by 2:
    NinjaBread (01-30-2013),  supnez (01-31-2013) 
    supnez and 11pts like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Australian availability

What was the time difference like between when you got your 9900 from Mobicity and when carriers in Aus released them?
    Thanked by:
    mooiben (02-12-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It was so long ago I honestly can't remember. I think by the time I got it from them they had already been released here, but the cost was cheaper than buying outright in-store.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Oh I just asked this on another thread.. :] so they can import some units, did they mentioned the price?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

BlackBerry Z10 4G LTE | MobiCity Australia

Pre-orders now available, pricing at $749

edit: Just spoke with them:

I'm sorry but we don't have an ETA yet but if you place a pre order for the item, the warehouse will continue to try source this handset for you and will provide you with updates as they receive them from our suppliers.
    [MobiCityAU Visitor] Do you envision it would be before March / April? Not too keen to put in a pre-order if I have no idea how long it might take (ie before available here officially, or after available here officially).
    [Charisma] Yes it may be since we are expecting stocks every week.
    Last edited by mjdimer; 01-31-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hm. I'm with Voda - wondering if it's worth the switch to say, Telstra.

Or whether I can just call up voda, cancel the BIS plan, add a bit more data, and be good to go. I'm on a sim-only with voda at the moment with my 9900, and the contract and bis plan are just running month to month at the moment.

What are you guys going to do?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Talking to them now. "Release date is March 12 in Australia with the carriers. We will be a couple of weeks AFTER that to get stock."

I don't understand. They want you to pay today (through Paypal they take the full payment) and receive the device 2 weeks AFTER everyone else?? smh.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    234544FF

I would guess that this is the option that suits people who want the device and are willing to pay for it outright, but don't want carrier branding or bloatware all over it. I'm far past the end of my contract with my carrier and pay month to month (as I didn't want to enter another contract whilst I was wanting for BB10), and always swore I'd never own another device with their branding as I'm sick of what passes for customer service from them. I'll wait a touch longer, but for me, it's worth it if only for my principles.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sigh. It still very much feels like we're getting the short end of the stick. The UK and Canadian carriers had to do thorough testing too - yet they managed to launch same day/same week. I kind of wish BlackBerry Australia understood how important it is to follow the launch date with an actual release. It's not good enough that we get to see the rest of the world get a phone 6 weeks earlier, while our media spins more negative press about how it all points to doom and gloom.

I really had hoped that BB Australia would have stuck it to the media here finally, and pushed the carriers months and months ago to get BB10 ready for a Feb launch.

Anyhow - I guess getting one outright from a non-carrier is the plan right now.

What carrier/s is everyone going with?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

I'll be getting an unlocked one from overseas, I guess. I use LTE on Telstra, so it'll need to be the 1800 mhz band one.

The funny thing about Australia's Blackberry MD is he was until recently an executive at Vodafone Australia. VF just announced they won't be carrying the new Blackberry's AT ALL. yikes. At least they got rid of that 12 year old who authorised the WAKE UP marketing campaign.
    CrackBerry User

Two Questions.
    Which overseas models will work on Telstra LTE?
    and do we need BIS or just a Data plan?

oh and a third..... did MobiCityAU say they were getting stock in weekly from now?

And i never had and confidence in BlackBerry Australia...... they launched all the BB OS7 devices months after the US. The 9800 almost a year late.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

You'll need the 1800mhz LTE / GSM model. I think the ones in the UK are the best fit.
    There's no need for a BIS plan anymore.
    MobiCity said they were getting their stock in a couple of weeks AFTER the release in March. So, early April.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Default Australian availability

Dammit. Very glad I didn't put in a pre-order then!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Oh, and if you're planning on using Paypal funds to do the pre-order - they take the full amount TODAY.
    CrackBerry User

Hey,

Thanks. I thought they may import from the UK.
    Thinking I might just bring one in myself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah I was so giddy with excitement that I went ahead and pre-ordered from Mobicity this morning. After reading this thread and confirming with them that they won't have stock until after 12/03/13 I'm in the process of cancelling my order. There has to be a faster way to get a Z10 shipped here, no way I can wait until March/April when it's available in other countries already!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm going to stick with Telstra on this one, use current plan or up to the next level to get a little bit more data on it since we don't have unlimited BIS anymore.

Still 50/50 on whether to wait for Q10 and have the phones side by side before making the decision.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I talked to Mobicity today and they said they would ship the first set of pre orders this week. they said they have had a 'massive demand".
    I'm going with a cheap Canadian Option, and will upgrade in a few months if I really feel the need for LTE
    R Field likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Quote Originally Posted by canadiandaytona View Post
    I talked to Mobicity today and they said they would ship the first set of pre orders this week. they said they have had a 'massive demand".
    I'm going with a cheap Canadian Option, and will upgrade in a few months if I really feel the need for LTE
    That's the other viable option. GSM and 3G. Probably a sensible move, if its unlocked.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ya, Unlocking cheap/free anyway. Koodo $550, VS Mobicity $780, and Vodafail doesn't have 4G yet anyway.

I want to keep my BIS plan because with BIS I get unlimited Internet for $35/month, But I'm betting no carriers in OZ have MicroSims that do BIS. So I guess I'll have to attempt the cut unless there are other suggestions...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Shouldn't VF just give you a micro sim if you walk into a store and ask for one. They'll just transfer your plan onto one, surely. Vf staff won't be smart enough to ask. Just say you want to be able to swap it out with your Note2 occasionally, and you have a micro - normal adaptor.
    No skin off their nose. May cost you $15 though for the sim from memory.
    CrackBerry Abuser

But From my recolection VF telstra and Optus have BIS SIMs and None BIS SIMs.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ya, Unlocking cheap/free anyway. Koodo $550, VS Mobicity $780, and Vodafail doesn't have 4G yet anyway.

I want to keep my BIS plan because with BIS I get unlimited Internet for $35/month, But I'm betting no carriers in OZ have MicroSims that do BIS. So I guess I'll have to attempt the cut unless there are other suggestions...
    Didn't think BIS worked at all with BB10??
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

But From my recolection VF telstra and Optus have BIS SIMs and None BIS SIMs.
    I think the sims themselves are the same. It's just the provisioning online that makes them BIS. Anyway, cutting the sim isn't a big deal. There are templates and cutters on eBay for $3. It only cuts the plastic.

Actually, maybe do it now. Get a cutter, and a micro - normal adaptor and use that on your current device. Then when the z10 lands, swap it out.
    Thanked by:
    DrWormBoy (02-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ACA7635

How much to unlock if brought in from Canada?
Page 1 of 36 123411 ... LastLast