BlackBerry really needs to allow their users to put the apps in the media card, I've had to delete a bunch of apps and games because I can't have em all due to limited 16GB storage for apps. Now that finally BlackBerry has a "Solid" and somewhat "competitive" with a high selection of quality games and a bunch of em are over 500 MB, don't know if you guys are having the same problem, and I just hope that this message can get to BlackBerry so they do something

P.D I did a search on the Z10 and couldn't find any topic related to this

Posted with mah Z10!
    05-17-13 06:26 PM
    Allowing apps on a sd card can actually cause performance issues

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling and yvpan1 like this.
    05-17-13 07:42 PM
    Plus it would be a disaster for app developers. People would buy the app once and then use the sd card to give to 50 if their friends for free

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    05-17-13 07:49 PM
    Android allows apps on their SD cards. They could always include a digital signature to tie an app to a phone to prevent copying.
    05-17-13 08:01 PM
    Android allows apps on their SD cards. They could always include a digital signature to tie an app to a phone to prevent copying.
    They did yes but only about 5% of users used apps off SD Cards

It's truly so unhealthy for a mobile OS

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 08:08 PM
    A lot of android apps no longer do this.
    05-17-13 08:12 PM
    Plus it would be a disaster for app developers. People would buy the app once and then use the sd card to give to 50 if their friends for free

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    What?
    05-17-13 08:25 PM
    A lot of android apps no longer do this.
    I can install any app to my SD card, unless I want to use a corresponding widget.
    05-17-13 08:28 PM
    What?
    Transfer the SD card to another device and that device can read and make a copy of it

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 08:28 PM
    I can install any app to my SD card, unless I want to use a corresponding widget.
    What device do you have?
    Android version?

Curious
    05-17-13 08:30 PM
    Transfer the SD card to another device and that device can read and make a copy of it

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't digital signing fix that? And i do think it is very ironic that a platform that has no compunction tacitly encouraging sideloading is concerned about piracy.

App2sd doesn't exist, IMHO, because BBRY could not figure out how to implement it, not because of an enduring concern about developers.
    05-17-13 08:34 PM
    What device do you have?
    Android version?

Curious
    I have a 4.2 custom build EVO LTE, so you do have a point. On my old OG EVO, I could force anything to the SD card, but widgets don't work.

If one were going to pirate an apk (certainly possible to find illicit sources online), it can't be updated and all that good stuff.
    05-17-13 08:36 PM
    No solution for this then? this sucks gameloft games are really good but they're like 1 GB each, had to delete let's golf and six guns because I was running out of space, and apps like batman and spiderman are not available in the PB, (if they are, I'm not paying again for an app I paid once)....

Posted with mah Z10!
    05-17-13 08:44 PM
    BlackBerry should made the Z10 (and the Q10 as well) to have 32GB internal phone storage (atleast) - from the very beginning if they cannot or don't want to utilize external memory that they have provided...

Posted via Z10
    05-17-13 09:14 PM
    I had a Nokia at one point that allowed apps and games to be installed to an SD card. It lagged like nuts. Internal memory is better for apps and games. I do agree that they should have made it a bigger size but hey it's a new OS and their first shot at full touch phones. Calm down. It could come one day.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 09:20 PM
    BlackBerry should made the Z10 (and the Q10 as well) to have 32GB internal phone storage (atleast) - from the very beginning if they cannot or don't want to utilize external memory that they have provided...

Posted via Z10
    Yup, that's the real solution
    05-17-13 09:26 PM
    I had a Nokia at one point that allowed apps and games to be installed to an SD card. It lagged like nuts. Internal memory is better for apps and games. I do agree that they should have made it a bigger size but hey it's a new OS and their first shot at full touch phones. Calm down. It could come one day.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Internal memory trumps external for actual running apps in my experience. Being able to store dormant apps is a plus, though.
    05-17-13 09:37 PM
    I assumed it's more of a design choice for security reasons...

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 10:07 PM
    Jellybean 4.1.X removes that ability. Some scripts written can work around it by swapping the partitions, but the OS does not allow natively.
    05-17-13 10:20 PM
    Jellybean 4.1.X removes that ability. Some scripts written can work around it by swapping the partitions, but the OS does not allow natively.
    Thanks for this. Do you mean digital signing or app2sd?

Currently, I don't put any apps on SD, but looking at my app manager, it shows me a bunch of movable apps.
    05-17-13 10:26 PM
    Thanks for this. Do you mean digital signing or app2sd?

Currently, I don't put any apps on SD, but looking at my app manager, it shows me a bunch of movable apps.
    This ^^^^^^

There is a script floating around that swaps youre extSDCard for internal memory, sort of. It was flaky for me at best. Would reset itself during updates. I could not be bothered to try and get it working.
    05-17-13 10:33 PM
    Actually it would help if BB allowed an app to manage its own assets. Currently, any part of the app that is installed by BlackBerry World is read-only. So for instance, the textures, bitmaps, videos, sounds etc. in a game are packaged with the app and installed in a read-only folder. The app can copy but cannot move those to SD to save space on the device.
    05-18-13 05:44 AM
    Developers can (and in some cases probably should) uncompress or download resources to and load them from external memory. However, putting the apps themselves into the external memory would expose the source code and is, IMO, a bad idea.
    05-18-13 07:06 AM