I suppose it's true that BlackBerry needs to get more of the big name apps on BlackBerry World. But when I recently installed the 10.2 leak and the new open Android runtime I had the experience for the first time of downloading pretty much whatever I wanted from the android platform. My experience was that I really didn?t care about much of it at all.

I downloaded Snapchat and Instagram and Vine (all of which worked beautifully) because my daughter used them on her old iPhone and I wanted to see if they would on her new Z10 before setting all this stuff up. I set th up and looked at them but really wasn't interested in what they did.

I downloaded temple run. Which is a good game. I added it to my other good games. Don't play many games on my phone.

I downloaded Flipboard. That was the most useful one. BlackBerry should get that one.

And then I started looking for other stuff. Tried a few things. Deleted them. Eventually decided I wanted a better cycling app so found Endomondo. Then I realized that was already on BlackBerry World.

Sigh.

My point is that for a lot of users this stuff isn't that important.

Yet when I've spoken with Android equipped friends (none of whom use many apps) they all say Android is superior. When I cite the specs to show them they're wrong they still won't bend.

Why? Because of the apps?

No.

Because they believe the marketing.

And it's this more than anything that BlackBerry has to get past.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:45 PM
    Well, scienceboy, what you proved is that those apps are not for you. For your daughter though, they seem important as she wanted them and if she had a choice would probably have left the platform if they weren't going to be available anytime soon.

The thing is, your preference is not everyone else's preference...

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    08-27-13 12:49 PM
    Apps are extremely important. Are they everything? No. But they do matter for the consumer market. Consumers decide the apps they want and they will buy the devices that give them those apps.
    nighthawks likes this.
    08-27-13 12:52 PM
    It's not everything. But, it plays one of the most important part in smartphone industry.
    nighthawks likes this.
    08-27-13 12:54 PM
    Apps are stupid, app stores are stupider, but the majority considers apps to be the single most important thing whether they use them or not. If we don't get past this app store mindset and start embracing HTML apps, we will find the mobile space dominated by iOS and Android in the same way that Windows dominates the desktop.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:28 PM
    Yes, apps are everything. Why do customers believe the marketing? Because the apps are there. Why are the apps there? Because of the marketing.

Marketing is apps is marketing is apps. The sooner people understand that, the better. You can't just say BlackBerry needs to market itself better. It will market itself better when the apps come.
    08-27-13 01:36 PM
    I have 10.1.0.4181 and it says it's the latest software

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 02:57 PM
    I suppose it's true that BlackBerry needs to get more of the big name apps on BlackBerry World. But when I recently installed the 10.2 leak and the new open Android runtime I had the experience for the first time of downloading pretty much whatever I wanted from the android platform. My experience was that I really didn?t care about much of it at all.

I downloaded Snapchat and Instagram and Vine (all of which worked beautifully) because my daughter used them on her old iPhone and I wanted to see if they would on her new Z10 before setting all this stuff up. I set th up and looked at them but really wasn't interested in what they did.

I downloaded temple run. Which is a good game. I added it to my other good games. Don't play many games on my phone.

I downloaded Flipboard. That was the most useful one. BlackBerry should get that one.

And then I started looking for other stuff. Tried a few things. Deleted them. Eventually decided I wanted a better cycling app so found Endomondo. Then I realized that was already on BlackBerry World.

Sigh.

My point is that for a lot of users this stuff isn't that important.

Yet when I've spoken with Android equipped friends (none of whom use many apps) they all say Android is superior. When I cite the specs to show them they're wrong they still won't bend.

Why? Because of the apps?

No.

Because they believe the marketing.

And it's this more than anything that BlackBerry has to get past.

Posted via CB10
    The issue is that bbry have to hit users with major reasons to move from their current handset.

Sadly the current phones don't have enough differentiation to inspire people to switch.

Qnx and TAT have the potential to offer a radical solution but design decisions have been way to conservative.
    08-27-13 03:14 PM