i was looking through the permission section of settings and was a little surprised to find that most apps will set themselves up with full permissions on pretty much everything.

For example, why does a battery monitor app require access to my personal files, location, pin, device s/n, camera etc etc unless the goal is to siphon off this information for some nefariousness purpose.

Be careful folks. check permissions and if an app won't let you turn them off, as some gray out the option to say no, delete the app. Nothing good would likely result from these apps scamming this info from your device.
    03-08-13 09:07 PM
    They don't "set themselves up....". When you download and install an app, a screen pops up every single times and tells you what permissions it "requires", the majority of the time there are checkmarks next to them so you can deny the permission. If there isn't a checkmark next to it that it truly requires it and can't run without it. Also, you can always go into application permissions and change the settings.

For the most part, those apps don't actually require those permissions, it's just lazy coding on the part of the developer.
    03-08-13 09:21 PM
    Thx. It was interesting what some of these apps were set to.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 09:28 PM
    They don't "set themselves up....". When you download and install an app, a screen pops up every single times and tells you what permissions it "requires", the majority of the time there are checkmarks next to them so you can deny the permission. If there isn't a checkmark next to it that it truly requires it and can't run without it. Also, you can always go into application permissions and change the settings.

For the most part, those apps don't actually require those permissions, it's just lazy coding on the part of the developer.
    All the ones that don't have check marks but simply say agree or disagree or accept or decline won't work unless you accept it in my experience. If you decline the app simply closes. Is there a way around that?
    03-08-13 09:39 PM
    I don't really think they actually are accessing the info anyways, I think it's a usual requirement for BlackBerry in order for app approval by developers.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-08-13 09:43 PM
    Plus I have no real personal info anyways

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-08-13 09:44 PM
    It is really a valid observation... it is irrelevant for the the developer to have an access to our personal files... even those bank applications are not getting those kind of information by asking us to give them direct access... they are requiring us to fill up an electronic form instead and submit to them...

On the other hand, if I'm the developer and my apps or games will run without accessing your personal files, why would I ask for that permission on the first place?... and if I will still include that permission grant request thing in spite of being irrelevant to my apps and games, I must have "other" reasons that somehow I couldn't tell to my customers...

Posted via Z10
    03-08-13 10:19 PM
    Aww c'mon gramps. Permissions have been central to device security on non-BES users' end since Christ was a cowboy

Kevin/CB.com staff, it might be time to update this excellent BlackBerry 101 article: BlackBerry 101 - Application permissions | CrackBerry.com
    Sloppy likes this.
    03-08-13 11:51 PM
    Permissions can be a tricky thing. Most of the time, you really don't care what an app has access to, but rather what it does with said access. Permissions can only really control the first part. Its also a balancing act, because permissions granular enough to make some of you happy would confuse and/or annoy the heck out of a normal user. So we have permissions just broad enough that you think they're dangerous, but really required for some basic function of an app, and you get all annoyed when things don't work without that permission.

That being said, its also popular to use various libraries and frameworks for things (like in-app ads, for example) that require permissions that the app itself may have no need for.

FWIW, that "shared files" permission basically is required for an app to access anything outside its private little opaque (to other apps and to the end-user) sandbox. What would make you happy is some super-fancy per-directory permission, so an app could only request access to perhaps one tiny corner of your shared file space. But then things get too complicated, and the average user is confused.
    03-09-13 12:47 AM
    Aww c'mon gramps. Permissions have been central to device security on non-BES users' end since Christ was a cowboy

Kevin/CB.com staff, it might be time to update this excellent BlackBerry 101 article: BlackBerry 101 - Application permissions | CrackBerry.com
    oh he11, before that i think...
    raino likes this.
    03-09-13 05:04 PM

Actually some do... you get to decide on one option but behind the scenes there are 5 other settings that by default set themselves to allow... happened to me on an app - one that was introduced either here on CrackBerry or on BlackBerryOS.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:12 PM
    Hi - I prefer cookies OFF in my Z10 10.1 and hope to make Gmail (with a couple of others) an exception. I've looked through the OS and Help and Forums and everywhere I can think of but nowhere found how to set a permission to 'override' the ;cookies OFF; setting. I use 2-step in Gmail and am trying to set the Authetication token but it won't go without setting a cookie (fair enough). Help...:
    06-01-13 08:50 AM
    All the ones that don't have check marks but simply say agree or disagree or accept or decline won't work unless you accept it in my experience. If you decline the app simply closes. Is there a way around that?
    I've noticed that the app's that behave like that are android ports.

Kramberry z10
    06-01-13 10:39 AM