Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 152
Like Tree119Likes
  1. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Apple paying off reviewers?

    I heard the most intricate thing. It's been a rumor for a while but I'd think it might be true. Apple paying off these do called "Tech Geeks" to give bad and negative review of competition. Especially blackberry.

    Posted via CB10
  2. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,453 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    No instances or examples given, so it's pretty hard to really believe your argument. Substantiate it and then we can discuss...

    Posted via CB10
  3. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I mean I've had dealings with Apple as of a sub contractors. Some of their business practices are very questionable. Not illegal but questionable. When iphone 4 came out. 1 of their store. Won't name which one but a super busy one had people waiting for more than 20 hours. In the back room they had over 500 phones. But on launch day they only sold 150 even tho there was still a line up.

    Also meeting between reps from apple with certain Internet reviewers free gifts and gift cards to be attained from their stores.

    Posted via CB10
  4. Shaun Adams's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    No instances or examples given, so it's pretty hard to really believe your argument. Substantiate it and then we can discuss...

    Posted via CB10
    I agree 100% with this statement, however, NOTHING would surprise me.

    It gets a little too 'hinky' when something Blackberry (or Android) get slammed for doing/not doing while either Apple gets praised or omitted from comment... just sayin'
  5. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,783 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #5  

    Default

    Let's not forget Facebook got caught hiring a pr company to spread rumours about Google, just saying, this stuff does go on.
    Thanked by:
    Jake2826 (03-12-2013) 
  6. sheeraz_aa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    562 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I doubt it, they still have way too much power.

    Wagwan.
  7. jstarett's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    786 Posts
    PIN
    In my pants.
    #7  

    Default

    nah this is all lies! Everybody gets a long and treats everybody fairly!
    Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 OS: 10.3.0.1130 | Passport : PENDING
    Playbook 64G WiFi QNX: SOLD
    Thanked by:
    rdonnelly (03-12-2013) 
    si_chindo, ddlax22, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
  8. Cap_172R's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    No instances or examples given, so it's pretty hard to really believe your argument. Substantiate it and then we can discuss...

    Posted via CB10
    Yeah, we do need some evidence of this, other than that it's just speculation... But then again, you never know these days...stranger things have happened!
  9. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #9  

    Default

    Lets think this through a little though. Do you think Apple, with revenues in the BILLIONS would jeopardize their reputation and income to pay off a few bucks to a reviewer? Silly.
  10. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,783 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Lets think this through a little though. Do you think Apple, with revenues in the BILLIONS would jeopardize their reputation and income to pay off a few bucks to a reviewer? Silly.
    Yet they had no problems running an anti Microsoft marketing campaign for years. You'd be surprised what they're capable of.
    Thanked by 3:
    Jake2826 (03-12-2013),  jarrodmeyer (03-12-2013),  kojisan (03-12-2013) 
    jafrul, CDM76, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
  11. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #11  

    Default

    Yes, but marketing (Wake Up!) programs and bribery are two different things.
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
  12. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Lets think this through a little though. Do you think Apple, with revenues in the BILLIONS would jeopardize their reputation and income to pay off a few bucks to a reviewer? Silly.
    But then again that's how you make your money. By making sure competition is withered. Anyone remember Gizmodo editor? Having SWAT come down on his a$$ over a phone.

    Posted via a toaster.
    jerryeight likes this.
  13. R Field's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,913 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Would not surprise me one bit. See : CNET z10 vs iphone 5 review.
    Thanked by 2:
    jafrul (03-13-2013),  svelt (03-12-2013) 
    MXBerry, svelt, jafrul and 2 others like this.
  14. bobauckland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,237 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I've often felt that reviewers are paid off, at least a percentage.
    I've noticed that gaming review sites who advertise a game heavily prior to it's release tend to give it better reviews than other sites.

    But when it comes to phones etc, I haven't often seen any massive bias.

    The biggest bias I see is when I come on here and people go iPhones are toys, Android will destroy your life, only BlackBerry is pure as the driven snow, and whatever BlackBerries don't do, should not be done or expected.
    Thanked by 2:
    Guignards (03-12-2013),  richardat (03-12-2013) 
  15. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramin mayar View Post
    But then again that's how you make your money. By making sure competition is withered. Anyone remember Gizmodo editor? Having SWAT come down on his a$$ over a phone.

    Posted via a toaster.
    Yes, we'll that was Brian Lam wasn't it? He deserved it.
  16. siausin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    525 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I don't think apple pays reviewers. It is more like not many reviewers would risk their reputation telling good reviews about a product from a company many think is a sinking ship.

    Posted via CB10
    I Love BlackBerry
    Thanked by:
    epilogue1 (03-13-2013) 
  17. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #17  

    Default

    Theres more then one way to twist people in your favor, Special treatment goes a long way! But thats business I guess!
    Apple covert, represents himself as a hedge fund guy! prices paid no problem!
    Companies (im not saying apple directly) pay for smear jobs on their competition all the time.
    Big business is a sherwd and sleazy game! believe it!
    potatoguy likes this.
  18. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Let's look at it as z10 Vs iphone 5.

    Anything iphone 5. That's is 6th generation ios has. Z10 has the same thing and then some.

    Only thing that the ios device has is more apps. That's it. Just apps.

    Security. Z10. Screen resolution. Z10. Touch keyboard. Z10. The Os itself. Z10.

    Iphone has that. Hipster effect to it. Have you seen an apple store. I feel like I walked into a gay village bookstore coffee shop.

    Nothing against gay people.

    Posted via a toaster.
  19. bobauckland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,237 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramin mayar View Post
    Let's look at it as z10 Vs iphone 5.

    Anything iphone 5. That's is 6th generation ios has. Z10 has the same thing and then some.

    Only thing that the ios device has is more apps. That's it. Just apps.

    Security. Z10. Screen resolution. Z10. Touch keyboard. Z10. The Os itself. Z10.

    Iphone has that. Hipster effect to it. Have you seen an apple store. I feel like I walked into a gay village bookstore coffee shop.

    Nothing against gay people.

    Posted via a toaster.
    Z10 has some features the iPhone doesn't have. Buttonless control. Gestures. A new UI.

    And the iPhone, as you so succintly put it, has apps. Apps that allow banking, apps that allow gaming, apps that allow photo manipulation, apps that allow Instagram, Netflix, multi system communication. A proper Gmail experience.
    Apps that add a tremendous amount of functionality.
    It also allows background running of apps, handy for chat apps. It has multitasking that allows more than 8 apps to run at once.

    Discounting apps, and Apple, is daft, and that's why BlackBerry are making a huge push for app developers.

    Security for consumers is not an automatic win for the Z10, far from it. With the way things are going it's quite the reverse, Apple has one of the most closed off systems and provides everything in house which can be a huge advantage security wise.
    Z10 users are pushed to sideload sideload sideload, a nightmare waiting to happen.

    Finally the way you phrased your last comments suggests that you do in fact have a problem with gay people. I don't really care, but just saying.

    Your whole POV seems v blinkered.
  20. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,345 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #20  

    Default

    Its not the first time this has been discussed! this thread is near 2 years old. Back when RIM was still making large, yet the smear campaign was in full force and had been for a long time back then! Gives this argument some depth!
    The powers at play will not stop at nothing until RIM and now BB is dead and they devour the bits! Unless of course BB10 is a hit and BB can fight back!

    Is Facebook paying these Hacks to wright poor stories about RIM aswell?
    kingb71 and stevejb like this.
  21. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobauckland View Post
    Z10 has some features the iPhone doesn't have. Buttonless control. Gestures. A new UI.

    And the iPhone, as you so succintly put it, has apps. Apps that allow banking, apps that allow gaming, apps that allow photo manipulation, apps that allow Instagram, Netflix, multi system communication. A proper Gmail experience.
    Apps that add a tremendous amount of functionality.
    It also allows background running of apps, handy for chat apps. It has multitasking that allows more than 8 apps to run at once.

    Discounting apps, and Apple, is daft, and that's why BlackBerry are making a huge push for app developers.

    Security for consumers is not an automatic win for the Z10, far from it. With the way things are going it's quite the reverse, Apple has one of the most closed off systems and provides everything in house which can be a huge advantage security wise.
    Z10 users are pushed to sideload sideload sideload, a nightmare waiting to happen.

    Finally the way you phrased your last comments suggests that you do in fact have a problem with gay people. I don't really care, but just saying.

    Your whole POV seems v blinkered.
    I got this phone Feb 16th. First I was skeptical about then as used it more and more it became customed to my usage. Not a single problem with it. My emails were set. Contacts were set through blue tooth.

    Why would I Netflix when I have a tablet. A laptop. A smart TV. Why do I leave all of those and watch stuff on a tiny screen?

    Yes no whatsapp or viber or Skype. But it's okay. I can wait. Banking apps? Well I just go on browser the ones that were available before are also mobile based browsers.

    Having multiple apps open? Who would want 8 apps open at the time. Once I use it I close it and when I need it I reopen it. That's all.

    If I really need to use instagram i have a tablet I can use. But then again what IS instagram?? Is it something that we really need??

    The games that are available right now are addictive as ****. I haven't played anything else beside angry birds and jetpack joy ride.

    You are right. Maybe a teenager does not need security on his porn/sext filled phone. I personally do because I deal with a lot of sensitive information. At time I have 3 blackberry phones.

    So security is a major point for me.


    Posted via a toaster.
  22. massala's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    There is always good reviews of some and bad reviews of other things by fanboys of particular OSs. I missed out on getting a Z10 because I bought a (contract) Nexus 4, and having just changed from iOS to Android, I'd say to anyone else contemplating the move 'come on in, the water's lovely'. My wife feels the same about Windows Phone (8) now and we also have a BB Playbook, so have tried all the major OSs between us.

    The thing is, all the OSs have their plus and minus points. But if you've been using one particular phone for a while, change can be a wrench. I suspect that most reviewers badmouthing (eg) BB10 are Apple users who have that ecosystem so ingrained they can't see any positives that 'aren't Apple'.

    All reviews are subjective (good and bad). Recognise it, and take them with a pinch of salt.
    Thanked by:
    Cappyshirt (03-12-2013) 
    stick_slinger, m1a1mg and cman5 like this.
  23. kevinnugent's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramin mayar View Post
    I got this phone Feb 16th. First I was skeptical about then as used it more and more it became customed to my usage. Not a single problem with it. My emails were set. Contacts were set through blue tooth.

    Why would I Netflix when I have a tablet. A laptop. A smart TV. Why do I leave all of those and watch stuff on a tiny screen?

    Yes no whatsapp or viber or Skype. But it's okay. I can wait. Banking apps? Well I just go on browser the ones that were available before are also mobile based browsers.

    Having multiple apps open? Who would want 8 apps open at the time. Once I use it I close it and when I need it I reopen it. That's all.

    If I really need to use instagram i have a tablet I can use. But then again what IS instagram?? Is it something that we really need??

    The games that are available right now are addictive as ****. I haven't played anything else beside angry birds and jetpack joy ride.

    You are right. Maybe a teenager does not need security on his porn/sext filled phone. I personally do because I deal with a lot of sensitive information. At time I have 3 blackberry phones.

    So security is a major point for me.


    Posted via a toaster.
    This is a discussion we should be having. Given that there's no such thing as BIS anymore, how and why are Blackberries (the BB10 ones) any more secure than Android or iOS?

    Honest question!
  24. ramin mayar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    This is a discussion we should be having. Given that there's no such thing as BIS anymore, how and why are Blackberries (the BB10 ones) any more secure than Android or iOS?

    Honest question!
    About 2 years or so back there was a security conference where all of the companies brought their. Softwares to be hacked by professional hackers.

    There were only 3 companies. 1 of them blackberry of course where over 36 hours were spent to hack the phones. And had no success whereas ios and android were hacked under an hour.

    If z10 has become something vulnerable since there is no BIS then yowza!


    Posted via a toaster.
    Thanked by:
    btothemalm (03-12-2013) 
    btothemalm and cman5 like this.
  25. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,453 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Judging from the reviews or comparisons, a large majority of the reviewers often skew their comments on the usual feature for feature debate, and from my experiences those reviews will very likely never be able to do the Z10 justice, or at least to the extent it should get if the interface features and dynamics of the new platform are pushed aside.

    Most likely they will eventually get to the camera and properly put down the Z10 for poor lowlight performance when compared to the Iphone 5. These comparisons often end up with the Iphone 5 coming up on top, but many of these reviewers don't really consider or are clearly unfamiliar with how people will actually use a Z10, or a BlackBerry for that matter. In my opinion, that is just poor Tech journalism...

    That said, do I think Apple has paid off these reviewers? They might very well have been, but I doubt it. My take on this is let's give these reviewers some professional respect with the benefit of the doubt. Some are actually really truthful, but maybe just a little less knowlegable than they should be when it comes to a new platform.

    Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RIM keeping its commitment to open source and it's paying off.
    By Dapper37 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
  2. Selling the Playbook for a loss starting to pay off for RIM!
    By eric89074 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
  3. Will our dedication as BB Storm "troopers" pay off?
    By vllssv in forum Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
  5. Review: iQase Apple iPhone Products
    By davistld01 in forum Other Platforms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions