Identify your phone, access to email, contacts, text messages, shared files...what does all of that mean? Am I trying to protect my information by not allowing apps to have this type of access? I feel like I'm losing out by not allowing permissions to apps that I really want.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 04:49 PM
    Many apps do not work entirely the way they are supposed to without allowing permissions. I personally allow all permissions.
    03-30-14 04:51 PM
    If it is a native BB10 App you can often deny many or all intrusive permissions, Android apps it is all or nothing unfortunately. Let the app vendor know you don't want to grant a particular permission. Unfortunately there are some who are unfamiliar with the API and think they need more permissions than they really do.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 05:28 PM
    As jaydee5799 put it, many apps will need permission to access certain parts of your phone to work properly. For example, an app for taking or editing pictures, will need permission to access your camera and media. An instant messenger that works off your contact list will need access to your contacts etc. What I normally do is think about what the app in question is suppose to do, and if it makes sense with what it's asking permission for, then I ok it. If it doesn't, I block it. If I then find the app isn't working as it's suppose to, I'll play with the permissions to see if I've blocked something it needs.
    03-30-14 05:41 PM
    Thanks guys, that all makes sense. Another question, if you allowed access, could they "use" your information in some way?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 07:30 PM
    Thanks guys, that all makes sense. Another question, if you allowed access, could they "use" your information in some way?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, if you give some Permission to an app, it can do whatever it wants with that permission. So, for instance the Crackberry App needs only one Permission - the one for access to Files but it only needs that if you want to upload Photos (or other file, I guess). The app works fine without that permission unless you want to upload a photo. Other apps will also ask for access to Files. Once you give it, it is POSSIBLE that they can do other things with your files. Not likely with apps that are approved for BBWorld. They are supposedly tested for ill-intents.

Some oddball 3rd party app from someone no one has heard of in Android apps might be questionable but then again, some of those apps are handy.

Choices and tradeoffs.
    03-30-14 09:05 PM