As the title says, I'm waiting until apps can also run in the background so I can finally get it. I'm a HUGE BlackBerry fan, but I need this! BeBuzz cannot need to have an active frame window to work. Also waiting for deeper profile settings and group contacts!

That's it! Come on BlackBerry!! WOOHOO!
    Shane8750 and bb_ms like this.
    02-26-13 02:37 PM
    Bla1ze, Kevin, Adam, does anyone know if that's coming?
    adrianod1993 likes this.
    02-26-13 03:46 PM
    Bla1ze, Kevin, Adam, does anyone know if that's coming?
    I'm wondering the same thing because i have a tendancy of closing my open apps therefore i refuse to download anything that constantly needs to be open.
    02-26-13 03:59 PM
    I'm not sure the answer on this. But, I'll ask someone to assist...
    The Me likes this.
    02-27-13 06:42 AM
    Why would you wait? You know it's coming out sooner rather than later. When the API does get released, what's to say every developer is going to jump on it to update their apps? Then you waited for the API to get released and it's not even being utilized (This a very hypothetical situation because odds are, developers will be all over the opportunity for background running apps). Just waiting for this one feature, which you know is coming one way or another and probably sooner rather than later, seems kind of silly.

Thankfully to each his own, so you waiting doesn't affect me in any way!
    02-27-13 06:51 AM
    There is so much other goodness in the device to enjoy, why wait?
    02-27-13 06:54 AM
    Explain background running apps... thought they do that already? Is it like the playbook where they go static when you open up another app?
    02-27-13 07:04 AM
    I opened up Google talk app and signed in then closed the app, but still received messages and was able to reply to them in the hub. Now, maybe because this is an IM app it works a bit differently but this is maybe a question for an app developer. I'm sure the possibility is there
    02-27-13 07:24 AM
    Too impatient to wait for this, so got one. WhatsApp seems to work in background though, most of the time anyways.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    02-27-13 07:34 AM
    Why would you wait? You know it's coming out sooner rather than later. When the API does get released, what's to say every developer is going to jump on it to update their apps? Then you waited for the API to get released and it's not even being utilized (This a very hypothetical situation because odds are, developers will be all over the opportunity for background running apps). Just waiting for this one feature, which you know is coming one way or another and probably sooner rather than later, seems kind of silly.

Thankfully to each his own, so you waiting doesn't affect me in any way!
    The thing is I didn't know it was in the works and still don't know if it is being worked on. So, is it an actual thing and someone knows it's being worked on? If it does, how would it get implemented? Would it not show the active frame and just grey the icon out?

There is so much other goodness in the device to enjoy, why wait?
    Because despite me dying to get it, I need several features. Group SMS is a MUST. Same goes for profiles, mostly all are silent except for phone calls. (Phone calls vibrate). It might do that at the moment, but I know I sometimes switch and each has a different volume. Background apps are needed for me as I explained before and at the end of my reply.

Explain background running apps... thought they do that already? Is it like the playbook where they go static when you open up another app?
    Background apps means the app runs but without using an active frame. Just like in OS7 where you don't have it open but it's running updating or changing your LED.

I opened up Google talk app and signed in then closed the app, but still received messages and was able to reply to them in the hub. Now, maybe because this is an IM app it works a bit differently but this is maybe a question for an app developer. I'm sure the possibility is there
    Exactly, but see, that runs within the HUB and it is a BlackBerry app that was made by them. Not some developer.

Too impatient to wait for this, so got one. WhatsApp seems to work in background though, most of the time anyways.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    See, I need it all the time. I know WhatsApp is an android port, but still, it runs in the HUB right?

So, my answer to all of you, it's important for me because I don't want the app to use an active frame and risk being closed if I open too many. The main application is for BeBuzz. I need the LED to work all the time (and show different colours).
    02-27-13 01:11 PM
    The API for this will be released down the road most likely. Nothing really official aside from people knowing that this feature will be "coming soon" for apps that will benefit from it.

While it's a pain in the *** to keep 1 of 8 active frames open and dedicated, the phone is too great to wait for these things. The cord is still connected and there's a crazy amount of placenta. It can only get better from here!
    02-27-13 01:17 PM
    As the title says, I'm waiting until apps can also run in the background so I can finally get it. I'm a HUGE BlackBerry fan, but I need this! BeBuzz cannot need to have an active frame window to work. Also waiting for deeper profile settings and group contacts!
    Some clues in: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-work-775315/

I remember seeing a photo someone posted somewhere of the official BB development goals, and background apps was definately on the official list.

Beyond just background apps, I'm also wondering if developers can get at the phone's info they need to make an app like BeBuzz work (emails, calls, BBM, etc.)?
    02-27-13 01:33 PM
    Some clues in: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-work-775315/

I remember seeing a photo someone posted somewhere of the official BB development goals, and background apps was definately on the official list.

Beyond just background apps, I'm also wondering if developers can get at the phone's info they need to make an app like BeBuzz work (emails, calls, BBM, etc.)?
    Yeah, because at the moment, no BBM support yet.

Also, do some apps require that they be BBM connected or they won't work or require all the connectivity approved before even launching (PlayBook style).
    02-27-13 01:43 PM
    The API for this will be released down the road most likely. Nothing really official aside from people knowing that this feature will be "coming soon" for apps that will benefit from it.

While it's a pain in the *** to keep 1 of 8 active frames open and dedicated, the phone is too great to wait for these things. The cord is still connected and there's a crazy amount of placenta. It can only get better from here!
    So somewhat official and not official... Hum...
    02-27-13 01:43 PM
    Read both threads (the one linked in the thread here) and it seems promising. Yet, it seems to be coming in May or something. Hopefully so can profile settings and maybe a search feature within Remember (not a general OS search). I have like 150 or so notes in my memopad. Can't imagine not being able to search within the app. Haha!
    02-27-13 01:48 PM
    So somewhat official and not official... Hum...
    Well it's officially on the official "todo" list lol: Release roadmap - Native SDK for BB10 and PlayBook - BlackBerry Developer
    The Me likes this.
    02-27-13 01:57 PM
    Well it's officially on the official "todo" list lol: Release roadmap - Native SDK for BB10 and PlayBook - BlackBerry Developer
    Finally, THANK YOU!
    02-27-13 02:09 PM
    I got kik messenger side loaded on my Z10 and I get notifications in the hub from chats when I don't have it opened as an active frame. It is not connected to my BBM either. I personally don't understand how this works lol. I can understand if Google Talk works like that cause it's an app created by BRRY, but kik and BRRY don't get along as companies (something about ex RIM employees starting kik and maybe using some BBM technology for kik, kik was never approved in app world back in BB OS days either....)

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 08:43 PM
    Bebuzz and notifications are primarily why I use blackberry. It's extremely useful to glance at your phone from across the room and know whether you missed call from an important person or a task reminder depending on what color or type of flash the LED outputs. I think may hold off on getting a Z10 until either bebuzz or a similar program are developed that works reliably.
    03-13-13 03:11 PM
    Like hub++?

Posted via CB10
    bb_ms likes this.
    03-13-13 03:26 PM
    Like hub++?

Posted via CB10
    I got the Z10, but what does hub++ do?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 03:57 PM
    Attachment 140993
    Attachment 140994
    Also has text message.

Update bought filters, for example text from this number, led blue with x sound.

Just do app world search
    03-13-13 04:08 PM
    oh nice, Hub++ looks promising as something that works similar to BeBuzz. After reading, it looks like unfortunately missed calls still don't work - also, it seems as though you can set the # of times the LED blinks for each notification - can you leave it on indefinitely until you get to the phone? I don't want it to timeout after 10-15 mins the way the default red LED works.

Thanks a bunch bbrog.

I think I'll be getting the Z10 at release here in the US.
    03-13-13 04:33 PM
    Official forum thread http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=776735
    If you check the second ss, no limit on led blink... but haven't left it long enough to see :-P

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 04:55 PM