Hello,

There is one major criterium that will help me with the decision of whether or not to buy the Z10: I use Westone UM2 earphones which are In Ear Monitors and while they are still in the lower quality and lower price segment they already demand an almost flawless input source. The only phone that has an excellent audio quality is the iPhone, starting with the iPhone 4. Obviously I do not own or want to own an iPhone.

There have been a few comments about sound quality but I suspect that this was always tested with cheap earphones with which only the background noise can be tested. So please test the Z10 with good IEMs and write a short comment about overall quality and the background noise. I know that not many Z10 users will have good IEMs and maybe 1 of 10 of those users will see this thread but two or three reviews will be enough.

Thank you,
    slashstarfish
    02-03-13 07:44 AM
    Good thread and a bump as well as im interested in the sound quality of the z10. At the moment im using a Samsung S3 which has superb audio quality, wolfson DAC and completely obliterates the iphone but i would like to know what the audio quality is like on the Z10 as im looking to get one and sell the S3 soon.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    02-03-13 08:17 AM
    I am waiting for Neutron MP before I decide on the sound quality. It shouldnt be long as the dev broke the playbook version with his BB10 workings
    02-03-13 08:17 AM
    I too would like an early review on this. Definitely something all the major sites miss in their reviews.
    02-03-13 08:18 AM
    One thing i forgot to add is that with the apps coming, i do hope the developer of Poweramp brings a version over to BB10 as i love the customisation on Poweramp for my S3 ie equaliser settings etc.
    02-03-13 08:28 AM
    Ditto - I use Shure SE-315s. BBs have typically had sound performance on the very low end. Lack of native FLAC support in the media player hasn't helped. With 64gig SD cards supported and getting cheaper, many folks are turning to lossless codecs and it would be nice to know from anyone with an audiophile's perspective what sound quality is like.

Seeing as everything else which has been extensively tested on the device falls within a C+ to B+ range, and Blackberry has not at all spoken about this, my best guess is that we are looking at an average sound output. That said, 'Beats Audio' can be sideloaded onto BB10 devices. Not a perfect solution by anymeans, but helpful in many cases.
    02-03-13 08:34 AM
    Thanks for this thread.
    I have the same curiosity. High dynamic range, Wolfson DAC: all key terms that identify the people for whom the "musicality" of their device is REALLY important.
    I am so wondering if the Z10 hardware is 'worthy' of my Ultimate Ears Triple-fi 10's - LOL.
    Any audiophiles out there, please feel free to chime in. Your opinions/observations are welcomed.
    02-03-13 11:28 AM
    I'm not sure how reliable this site is but according to the site the Z10 does have the Wolfson DAC. Here's the link.
    Wolfson cashes in as shoppers keep taking tablets - Management - Scotsman.com
    lwaysluking likes this.
    02-05-13 04:00 PM
    This is good news. Given all the hullabaloo about the cruddy hardware lens used for the camera and some very early complaining about the glass itself, I was a bit concerned. I have already downloaded the Beats APK and converted it to a BAR for sideloading. This should really help out the sound. Has anyone confirmed that Flac or WMA lossless are natively supported?
    02-05-13 04:17 PM
    It looks like Blackberry's excellent audio codec support continues! Look at the audio format specs listed below- awesome.
    BlackBerry Z10 Specs - Specifications for BlackBerry 10 Smartphone - US
    Between the Wolfson DAC, the quality hardware, and the wide codec support, things are looking mighty righteous for the "one-device" audiophiles around here!
    (Thanks mday924)
    02-05-13 08:15 PM
    Really want to have a good listen to this phone with my Etymotic ER-4's!
    02-06-13 02:36 AM
    I can confirm that lossless flac files work and sound great. I use the neutron music player app because my bose iem need a bit of equalization. If you bought it on the PlayBook its free on bb10 phone.
    02-06-13 03:38 AM
    Neutron is the best music player for processing music I've found. Better than Power Amp. Power Amp has a little eaier UI and sounds good, but not as good as Neutron. Wonderful music player.
    02-06-13 12:29 PM
    Just gave the Z10 a very quick listen on my SE 535's...compared to my NWZ-X1060 first impressions are that the bass is slightly forward and the treble recessed although the sound stage is a bit more spacious, coupled with the pronounced midrange of the Shure's it is not to my taste. Definitely a better effort than the 9900, but I won't be leaving the Sony at home .
    02-06-13 02:20 PM
    Just gave the Z10 a very quick listen on my SE 535's...compared to my NWZ-X1060 first impressions are that the bass is slightly forward and the treble recessed although the sound stage is a bit more spacious, coupled with the pronounced midrange of the Shure's it is not to my taste. Definitely a better effort than the 9900, but I won't be leaving the Sony at home .
    Did you sideload Beats or load any of the other available media players. I have heard that there are several excellent choices. PS 535s are some nice kit.
    02-06-13 02:38 PM
    Just got my Z10, and I am also very curious. Will get some music on there to use with my MEElectronics A161P balanced armature IEMs.

It says here the audio codec is by Qualcomm. No mention of Wolfson DAC. So far my Playbook sounds the best, followed by my 3.5G iPod (both Wolfson DACs).
    02-06-13 04:53 PM
    Very impressed with the audio quality with my MEE A161Ps. Excellent stereo separation resulting in a very open soundstage (agreeing with triplefan). I find no need for EQ with these IEMs, and detail is amazing across the range. This is now my favourite music player, will be retiring my iPod to my home theatre!

One thing about the A161s is that they are hard to get a comfortable fit. You really need to insert them deep in the ear canal, and I have yet to find the right tips for comfort. Will be ordering Comply tips to see if comfort improves.

I am not a huge audiophile by any means but I have extremely sensitive hearing when it comes to digital music. I have been going for years on Westone UM-1s with my iPod 3.5G as it gives me a more warm "british" sound that I prefer. At home I have a Bryston B60, and it took me a long time to find a CD player that I liked, finally settling on a vintage Rotel 975. Sounds very analog and natural. (hope my preferences help out anyone... sound is highly personal).
    02-10-13 08:29 AM
    Thank you randomroyalty, this helps. I have the UM1 too. They are so much more comfortable than the A161P.
    02-14-13 01:30 PM
    Been an additional 2 weeks. Wondering if anyone has side-loaded Beats audio and/or is using Neutron music player and their impressions.
    02-28-13 09:57 AM
    Does the A161p fully work with the z10? Thinking about buying a pair of this or A151/Brainwavz M3 without mic.
    03-13-13 01:00 PM