BlackBerry is only competing against themselves. Media are the ones who make that claim to be competing against Apple and Google. BlackBerry has improved on its hardware and software. BlackBerry is in a class of its own. BlackBerry leads and others follow. Patience my friend!
    02-03-13 02:13 PM
    BlackBerry is only competing against themselves. Media are the ones who make that claim to be competing against Apple and Google. BlackBerry has improved on its hardware and software. BlackBerry is in a class of its own. BlackBerry leads and others follow. Patience my friend!
    I would love to be able to agree with you - this was true - at the time of beautiful devices like the Bold 9000, and the excellent 9700. And the Z10 hardware is extremely good - as was the Playbook. the Playbook still has one of the best displays of any small tablet. But it was damaged by the unfinished OS and the lack of Apps. And at the moment, and yes it's early days if you want to be generous, this looks sadly like PB all over again.

Time is running out for BlackBerry this time I fear.
    xxslxx likes this.
    02-03-13 02:21 PM
    Maybe you only have 20 apps because that's all, realistically speaking, that there is worth having. But I have lots more useful apps on my android phone than on my PB simply because there are lots more useful apps available.
    ...I have 20 or so apps, because unfortunately, I use my Torch 9810 mainly for phone calls, texting and emails. The apps that came with the phone are fine enough for me. I currently, don't have the patience to discover apps. I do read reviews of spotlighted apps. I have a PlayBook and have more apps on that than my Torch, but primarily games and apps for 'farming' news. My PlayBook is for amusement and was quite helpfully as a camera on a trip to Rome. I am sure there are amazing apps out in the wild, but unfortunately, I am not much of a hunter and gather. I think is it easy to 'expect' the 'known' apps as oppose to discovering new apps and making them the future 'known' apps. 70k apps seems more than enough to get your feet wet. I prefer to discover new things than feel the need to do what everybody else is doing, but I am an only child. Once I get the BB Z10, maybe I will feel motivated to find new apps because it's a new OS.......but the 'need' to have apps was 'created' and pretty much smoke and mirrors....at the end of the day it's just a phone.....
    Zidentia likes this.
    02-03-13 02:31 PM
    This is a horrible first post for me, but I really am liking the Z10 I got at the launch event, and it's a new toy to play with. But to say Blackberry leads and others follow is a delusional statement. It may lead in your eyes, and that's is totally fine, but in the real business world, it hasn't been on the radar for a bit. That's not to say that at some point they may go back to the glory days, and I believe it may happen, but right now, Blackberry being a leader is a laughable statement. The Z10 to me is really nothing new or innovative. I'm currently using a Lumia 920 alongside the Z. The problem I have with BB10 is it's just static. The app screen and what not aren't anything that hasn't been done before. What appealed to me about Windows phone was the visual. Live tiles and so forth. Men are visual creatures. It's how we are wired. It's why we are so passionate about TV's and phones and even cars. This is an odd time for technology. In the past decade we had all this innovation and it seems to be in a holding pattern. People are stuck waiting for Apple to come out with the next big thing. Rumors were the Jobs left books and books of his ideas, but where are they? The best thing they can do is a new connector and 128 gb of storage. Are you telling me that 128 gb of storage wasn't possible in the 2-4th generations? Like I said, this is an odd time for tech. There is a large pie to be had. All you need is one great thing and it all blows up in the good way. It's a good first start for BB. The Z10 is a newer experience for people who are used to BBOS, but to everyone outside of that, it's kinda been done before. I like it so far, but we will see as the days go by.
    xxslxx and Shlooky like this.
    02-03-13 02:31 PM
    Why wouldn't you post if you returned it. Sure, everyone has different needs in a phone, but if Z10 weren't for you, it probably wouldn't be for other people with similar needs, and they might appreciate knowing why you rejected it (or liked it). That's all the OP was doing, and I appreciate his very personal and honest reaction to the phone. It's just one more bit of data in helping me determine whether Z10 is right for me.
    I cannot agree more. I typically learn more from negative reviews. There are things I don't rally care and there are things that are important, and negative reviews tend to reveal much more of what I am looking for. I am more and more inclining to a Z10, although I was on my way out from RIM products all together after terrible disappointments using PlayBook.
    tiziano27 and xxslxx like this.
    02-03-13 02:44 PM
    Yeah yeah - let's not express anything but positive views - no idea why people in forums get excited about anything less than adulation. Happens in the Apple forums and the Android ones too.

Enjoy your Z10 - I truly hope you do.
    Opinions are fine and welcome as long as the person presenting them expresses the as such and not as fact, frustration, discomfort and unsatisfied expectations don't qualify as facts. The OP's opinion as it is seems more about what's annoying him, and he seems christened with the voice of the masses whom he unfoundedly aligns around his opinion for some reason, I suspect it is to shore up his nerves or provide some sense that he is not alone than the phone. I like to hear people's opinions, but don't state them as everyone else being in agreement, nor is it necessary to predict catastrophe based on opinion and personal frustration. If you one is unhappy move on, if one is angry then calm down and decide later, if you want a better product then provide constructive feedback.

I hope you calm down and make the right decision for you.
    02-03-13 02:45 PM
    iOS and Android are 2 mature OS', BB10 is still young, do the math now. Wait for the apps to come and just enjoy your Z10.

P.S. Im an iPhone user since 2008 and im shifting to BBZ10 once it hits the US this March.
    Gla1ze likes this.
    02-03-13 02:46 PM
    Whoever says that the gestures are difficult to learn, lets just leave it like this. My mother (no techno) managed to learn it within 10 minutes use.

Gla1ze and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-03-13 02:53 PM
    Listen,

We knew what we were getting ourselves into. I would never bash a BB device. I started with the Pearl 8100 and ever since been making improvement wishes that have become true.

I have gotten used to the fact that Blackberry (formerly RIM), is a bit on the turtle side to provide us with much needed updates, wether is Software or Hardware related. All I can say is that eventually, they deliver. We Loyal (and you know who you are) Blackberry fanboys are here until the Blackberry train reaches it's last stop. I'm just enjoying the ride and will always wish Blackberry the very best.

I for sure will be looking forward for my Playbook BB 10 update and patiently waiting for it. Sprint needs to start to hint something soon. My contract has been waaay overdue in need of a much needed upgrade. You guessed it, waiting for the Q10 at the least since I heart my Bold 9930, which by the way, does everything I need. It's my daily driver, per say.

No hint of the Z10 coming to Sprint as of yet, but I guess that's ok.
    Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk 2.
    nocturnal123 and Gla1ze like this.
    02-03-13 03:03 PM
    Dlanod,

Do you think you would have gone for the Q10 instead of Z10 had they both been released at the same time?

Can you see the experience of having that handset being remarkably different?
    02-03-13 03:04 PM
    I believe people don't understand that an OS is not an app. Building a OS from scratch takes 100, 000's of lines of code easily. Then they have to go over that code, compile it find the errors or bugs then rinse and repeat. Where an app you can do easily in 1 week depending how the simplicity of it.
    meltbox360 and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-03-13 03:13 PM
    As for people who complain about the "horrible" apps selection. It would be a great help if you specifically identified which apps you are talking about. Usually, about 10% of those apps I find myself wanting, the other 90% I just say either "meh" or "wtf" and probably wouldn't download even if I could. However, it does help a lot more instead of just saying the apps are terrible. Exactly what are you looking for?

As an example with the news apps, The Economist and NYT apps are there so I can't identify with the OP there.
    02-03-13 03:14 PM
    I think the people who are saying that BB10 is a baby in it's infancy is just grasping at straws. I've been in the tech industry for 30 years and I cannot believe the amount of people who accept flaws. I understand bugs are part of the game, but YOU SPENT MONEY on something, it should work. To give the excuse of that its in it's infancy is just coming up with excuses. I haven't had any issues with my Z10 yet, but it's only been a few days and it hasn't gone through a full week of work. When and if it does start experiencing issues, I complain. I complain to the company, then I go onto boards like this and post my findings. I may not do that here because if you post one negative thing, you are a called a troll. At least that's what I've read on other posts.
    mikeo007, decoy7, bodjor and 4 others like this.
    02-03-13 03:30 PM
    What did you expect being one of the first adopters of a brand new OS and hardware?
    This is why I try never to get something like this until at least the 1st revision of hardware/software comes out. Let the early adopters do all the beta testing and bug squashing ;-)
    jakie55 and DINGSTER1 like this.
    02-03-13 03:31 PM
    Sounds like a nice phone if that is the only problems. But yep, ain't for everyone.
    02-03-13 03:35 PM
    I think the people who are saying that BB10 is a baby in it's infancy is just grasping at straws. I've been in the tech industry for 30 years and I cannot believe the amount of people who accept flaws. I understand bugs are part of the game, but YOU SPENT MONEY on something, it should work. To give the excuse of that its in it's infancy is just coming up with excuses. I haven't had any issues with my Z10 yet, but it's only been a few days and it hasn't gone through a full week of work. When and if it does start experiencing issues, I complain. I complain to the company, then I go onto boards like this and post my findings. I may not do that here because if you post one negative thing, you are a called a troll. At least that's what I've read on other posts.
    You say you've been in the tech industry for 30 years. Is this as a programmer? Personally I've only dabbled with programming but i know that there can often, and more than often, be unforseen effects when you are trying to get one piece of code to play nice with another piece. The complications involved in creating a mobile computing platform from scratch boggle my mind. I can remember reading somewhere last year that the reason for the delay was not due to getting the different sections finished, but getting them to act seamlessly together was what was holding things up. And when I see the interaction between the different aspects of the OS (sadly only second hand so far) I understand what was meant.

What I don't understand is people who expect perfection. Judging by the complaints I've read on various different threads there are actually very few bugs. What there are, are some functionalities that they haven't added yet as they are still perfecting how they interact with the whole, so that when they are released (soon I hope!) they don't have bugs.
    02-03-13 03:44 PM
    good thing for me.. I don't use Skype I don't use what's app.. I don't use Netflix lol looks like I won't be missing a lot.. now one thing that I will miss but seems I can do is set up the color of the led thankfully I've been doing nothing but constantly reading while waiting for a us launch.. but the upside is ill know a good bit about what to expect also will know what apps will be there.. there are sites to watch movies on there is also TEXTING wtf do I need a chat client for.. I never have time to Skype the only person ill video chat with is my wife and she has a blackberry too lol so guess this phone will be great for us if it has some cool camera apps to play with like camwow and Facebook and tweeter and yahoo messenger we will be content to try new things as they come available none of the things that are being drilled complaints are a deal breaker for me not to mention I gotta wait a while to get it anyway who knows what will happen in that time span
    02-03-13 04:04 PM
    Seems like most of the bad reviews of the Z10 on here are coming from people with a bunch of global posts and a few crackberry posts. hmmmmm
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-03-13 04:19 PM
    You know all the complaints I've heard so far from people in the forums, sounds like either bugs or other minor issues that will be worked in the coming months. I've managed talking my girlfriend into ditching rogers and signing up with Bell to get the Z10 just so I can play with it till I get one. Having said that I know what to expect. I will not expect it to run perfectly, or be completely finished with somethings still missing. I honestly believe that 95% of people should hold off atleast 3 months before purchasing because generally they are the ones that can't tolerate all the little flaws and glitches imho.
    02-03-13 04:24 PM
    This is a horrible first post for me, but I really am liking the Z10 I got at the launch event, and it's a new toy to play with. But to say Blackberry leads and others follow is a delusional statement. It may lead in your eyes, and that's is totally fine, but in the real business world, it hasn't been on the radar for a bit. That's not to say that at some point they may go back to the glory days, and I believe it may happen, but right now, Blackberry being a leader is a laughable statement. The Z10 to me is really nothing new or innovative. I'm currently using a Lumia 920 alongside the Z. The problem I have with BB10 is it's just static. The app screen and what not aren't anything that hasn't been done before. What appealed to me about Windows phone was the visual. Live tiles and so forth. Men are visual creatures. It's how we are wired. It's why we are so passionate about TV's and phones and even cars. This is an odd time for technology. In the past decade we had all this innovation and it seems to be in a holding pattern. People are stuck waiting for Apple to come out with the next big thing. Rumors were the Jobs left books and books of his ideas, but where are they? The best thing they can do is a new connector and 128 gb of storage. Are you telling me that 128 gb of storage wasn't possible in the 2-4th generations? Like I said, this is an odd time for tech. There is a large pie to be had. All you need is one great thing and it all blows up in the good way. It's a good first start for BB. The Z10 is a newer experience for people who are used to BBOS, but to everyone outside of that, it's kinda been done before. I like it so far, but we will see as the days go by.
    I am currently using the iPhone 5 and I am trying to decide which phone to choose to carry as my second device. Either the 920 or the BB Z10. Being that you have the, both, which one do you prefer if you don't mind me asking?
    02-03-13 04:37 PM
    ....it's over a year late - come on - BB need to do better than this to survive. They knew this years ago. But we're still here.
    all your issues will be resolved.. your just spoiled! have you ever adopted a new platform before? all i hear is WHINNERS .. GIMMIE MY APPS GIMMIE MY APPS.. like seriously?? there is some Software out there is not compatible with my OSX and how long has it been since that came out?!?! like seriouly!! you knew EXACTLY what you were getting into!

and those custom profiles are going to be FIXED like Kevin mentioned! you know how long it took Windows phone to get whatsapp!? DID YOU KNOW that SKYPE wasn't even working properly when WP8 came out!? it's a NATIVE product built by microsoft!

i have the Z10 and it KICKS my nexus 4 in the *** when it comes to usability.. it's only been out less then a week and u think ur gonna get the hang of it?!?! mann SPOILED! SPOILED.. take some time to learn something new!!

android and ios are a PAIN in their own way!! how about the fact that you gotta friggin down every app on the planet just to get GOOD EMAIL!!!
    i have yahoo, gmail, and my own domain.. i gotta have yahoo mail, gmail and the stupid CRAPPY *** s stock email!!

ios... hmm lets not fail t omention u have to have friggin itunes with EVEYRTHING u do! mass storage? whats that? yes u can mass storage on the Z10 if u have a memory card and it shows up as network drivers for the device storage! how about not being able to play ANY video that is not mp4 on iOS!?!?!

like dude don't mean to be mean .. but for goodness sakes give it a fair run before u make these assumptions.. people are just too spoiled and want things to pop out of a magic oven and be picture perfect out the gate!!

well welcome to software development!! you know how long ive been waiting for the FRIGGIN PEBBLE to come out so i can wireless charge my S3? i bet people forgot about that one!! unless i missed the annoucement!

bebuzz and or someone will come out with the LED light changer!

people just need to calm down and just KNOW what they are getting into .. you will experience BUGS, you will experience a period where it'll be hard to find the small time apps ur used to... that's what you KNOW when u plan to adopt and BRAND NEW PLATFORM NO MATTER HOW LONG IT"S BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT!!!

iOS was in development for 5 years and they still launched with LESS apps then BB10 did!
    Android the same thing!! they didn't even a proper store to download apps from!!!

whatever haters will be haters
    whiners will be whiners
    the ignorant will always be ignorant!
    02-03-13 04:41 PM
    Somebody said they delayed it so there should not be bugs but they actually delayed it to make sure that the phone had all the features it needed and please no dum responses like "oh but i does not have as many features as the competition" since as Kevin has stated before BlackBerry has a feature roadmap and most of these features for the 1st launch were locked in months ago. OP why would you care about the apps if you have three phones? Honestly you need to weight the pros against the cons and decide if the phone is right for you and on a positive note these threads are good because they allow the employees at BlackBerry to review it and see what people want and what needs to be fixed.
    Gla1ze likes this.
    02-03-13 04:48 PM
    there's a lot more things that annoy me about iPhone including no carrier billing no led light. I can't download music or videos from websites the only benifits of iphone to iPhone use is FaceTime and your texts are blue instead if green.. those are just a few things that bother me about that os.. also I can't use a song as my ring tone? unless in just an *****?
    02-03-13 04:50 PM
    all these issues are exactly why the US launch is delayed. BB has to launch with netflix and instagram with a very polished OS
    MXBerry likes this.
    02-03-13 04:52 PM
    Oh dear. And go on - flame me if you like!
    No worries. Those are your honest opinions and they are true. But I would stick with Z10 myself because of the keyboard, hub and browser. Those are the functions I would use the most on a Z10 and that's the core value proposition provided by Z10.
    02-03-13 04:55 PM
161 12345 ...