All modern cameras have this metering feature. Just google "Metering and Metering Modes". If a photographer encountered this issue they would have automatically though about this then adjusted for the lighting conditions...
    amazing! Did not know that...I was just able to replicate the same results using my IPhone 4S....good job OP!
    02-08-13 04:43 PM
    That's amazing.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-08-13 08:20 PM
    This is not new. It's a good tip, but not amazing. Wow.
    02-08-13 09:10 PM
    Belfast and Mike are way to negative Nellies.
    A guy just put up a post on how his pictures were lighter as a helpful hint for some amateur/casual picture takers, maybe to post them to FB or something. Some of your posts make is sound like people are trying to replace their Nikon D4 with a phone.
    BBMak likes this.
    02-08-13 10:28 PM
    He is trying to be helpful to the community and I think he has done just that. No need to be negative about someones good will.
    kevinnugent and Midnight City like this.
    02-09-13 12:31 AM
    He is trying to be helpful to the community and I think he has done just that. No need to be negative about someones good will.
    Ya, what kind of person would ever do that?

This does not look like anything special to me
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-09-13 12:39 AM
    Belfast and Mike are way to negative Nellies.
    A guy just put up a post on how his pictures were lighter as a helpful hint for some amateur/casual picture takers, maybe to post them to FB or something. Some of your posts make is sound like people are trying to replace their Nikon D4 with a phone.
    Except I was the guy who put up the post lol.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 01:17 AM
    Great Find!
    02-09-13 01:22 AM
    I just read the first and last page of comments, apologies if this has already been mentioned.

All people are doing is changing the exposure by doing the focus-point trick. Honestly, if that's all it takes to take good quality (and not just non-dark) pictures in low-light, Blackberry just has a lousy exposure-metering system that needs to take backlight into account. (Something which should be trivial to fix with a software update)

What I'm more interested in is if these pictures brightened in this way are not just lighter, but also have good quality not ruined by excessive noise. Because that's what I noticed in the Gizmodo comparison shots that disturbed me.

Has someone taken an iPhone 5 side-by-side in low-light with the same scene and done a full-res comparison using this trick on the Z10?

I'd imagine the Lumia920 and Xperia Z are still probably the smartphone camera champs but if the Z10 can hold its own with this tweak against the iPhone 5 in low light, I'd see absolutely no reason for people to complain about the Z10 camera. In bright light it already looks more than competitive.
    02-09-13 01:26 AM
    Most of the poor picture capturing has to do with software. Z10 WAS rushed out and they are still fixing a lot of bugs. That being said, at least the USA should have a better experience out of the box than we did.
    02-09-13 01:48 AM
    I'm just wondering how my Nokia Lumia 920 will stack up to this. Of course, I use the stock app (trying to get ProShot and failing because WP Store is down... *goes all Pest Control Ravager style on Redmond HQ and tears down the building with his bare hands*), but it does seem like the Z10 has a lot going for it. Hopefully though the PureView optics of the L920 are satisfactory to keep it up to date. Also, glad to see they finally nailed the camera at BlackBerry. The Curve 8520/Torch 9800... *shudder* those cameras, moreso the Curve 8520 camera, were TERRIBLE.
    02-09-13 05:42 AM
    Works really well!

Here's my examples from my very, very dark house

First picture focusing on the coffee maker https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcob3smoih...ght%20good.jpg

Second picture focusing on the brighter Iron https://www.dropbox.com/s/wak7d6eyv4...G_00000207.jpg

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    KingReed likes this.
    02-09-13 06:02 AM
    "This isn't new, everyone knows how to do that."

Well actually, they don't, which is sort of the point.

If you believe that everyone else is as knowledgeable in this area as you are, then you probably also think you know everything in other areas too... ahem.
    bahandi likes this.
    02-09-13 07:38 AM
    Believe me, to someone who was wondering why the pictures were always so dark it is amazing.
    02-09-13 08:11 AM
    Was going to start a new topic, but figured this thread was more appropriate. http://jtinseoul.wordpress.com/2013/...lackberry-z10/
    d3rd, peter9477 and geoffsdad like this.
    02-17-13 07:09 PM
    Was going to start a new topic, but figured this thread was more appropriate. Metro Pass: Blackberry Z10 |
    Most might disagree, but I think that link deserves it's own thread. Very nice artistic slant with the black and white!
    02-17-13 07:16 PM
    Most might disagree, but I think that link deserves it's own thread. Very nice artistic slant with the black and white!
    There was that one key phrase,

"I quickly came to the conclusion that 80 percent of the reviews saying the camera sucks in low light are confusing sucking in low light with bad metering."

Basically what the OP was trying to say and everyone tripping on themselves by saying they knew that too.

That's the only reason why I didn't start a new thread.
    02-17-13 07:19 PM
    Was going to start a new topic, but figured this thread was more appropriate. http://jtinseoul.wordpress.com/2013/...lackberry-z10/
    Very cool!

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 08:04 PM
    http://jtinseoul.wordpress.com/2013/...lackberry-z10/

An update from the same photographer I linked earlier.
    02-18-13 11:29 PM
    So its evident many people are unaware of how auto exposure camera meters work.
    Basically, all auto exposures are made by having the light metering sensor determine the mid point between the brightest and darkest area within the sensors area of view. It the sets the camera exposure to achieve that mid point...also known as middle Grey. realize the metering sensor does not look at all areas of the image...usually it's just small region around the center or the focus zone...typically this is where you put the subject.
    The effect is if you take a pic of a pure white surface, the camera meter will decrease exposure to get the bright white down to middle Grey. Thus you end up with a Grey, dim looking picture. If you take a pic of deep black area, camera will try to increase exposure to bring the black to middle Grey. By knowing how these auto exposure systems work, you can adjust or compensate accordingly by pointing the sensor area to an appropriate bright or dark area to get a better exposure of the main area of interest.
    This why more experienced photographers prefer cams with manual or semi auto modes...gives better control of image exposure.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 04:16 PM
    I'm not sure what part of it you don't get, with the Z10 you can drag the focus point around the screen, a quick drag to a dark hair instead of the face for example will improve the lo light A Lot.
    This process seems way easier on the Lumina 900 which seems like you have to take a close up of a pile of poo to get back pictures. LOL
    04-23-13 04:50 PM
    I came here because I am having the night time issues where the flash turns off right before the picture is taken and then you get a dark picture. I recently checked my girlfriend's Z10 which we got 3 days apart and hers does not have this issue. All the settings are the same as mine and you can notice that there is a second flash right after the 1 second light up, her pictures are great in low light (dark) conditions. I have not been able to duplicate the good low light pictures. I just updated to the newest leaked OS and nothing. I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue now. I've been through 4 leaks and my camera still takes crappy nighttime pics. Has anyone been able to fix this? I will keep searching and as a last resort I will go to verizon and exchange the phone.
    07-31-13 02:33 AM
97 ... 234