who would ever consider everybody being able to see private messages as a feature, would love to hear the logic behind this one.
    It allows a user in a multi attendee meeting setting let's say, to view potentially important messages with a little more tact that rooting around in their phone to retrieve same in full display of others.
    03-15-13 02:34 PM
    Do not bother replying to this thread he's a Troll! Look back through his posts and you will not see one positive post about BlackBerry. You will however see lots glorifying the iPhone and how he's short selling BlackBerry shares. Its just not worth giving these people the time of day.
    jolsonpb, ErinnM and jrohland like this.
    03-15-13 02:49 PM
    I am currently an iPhone 5 user (work phone) (no yelling please). Came from a BB Torch and mostly I liked it. I was never bothered by having to wake that phone up to see an email or text/BBM that just arrived. I actually do find the feature convenient on the iP5 and prefer to keep it on because during a meeting (the phone is silenced) I can see the message without attracting too much attention by picking the phone up and...doing stuff with it. I can even change the style so that it does not pop up on the screen but instead is a small line at the top of the screen that would not be noticeable to those around me. However, with that being said, I think that the Z10 looks very exciting and would try one in a heartbeat if the option came up. I may very well look that direction when my contract is up. Congrats to all of you BB'ers who get to actually use one.
    deltact and Snap51 like this.
    03-15-13 02:51 PM
    I could not see myself using a feature like that. However what I would like to see is the option that upon receipt of a msg, you unlock the screen and it jumps directly to the hub. Not sure I would use that either but would be nice option.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 03:40 PM
    To be fair, if they only implemented French Toast or Cinimon Toast...which ever it was, this would be a non-issue. PLEASE Implement that Toast! I hope you hear me BB!

Just switched over from a Iphone 5 to a Z10.....

Now am I missing something - for text messages/notifications......I get a flashing led and beep but the text message is not shown on the default screen.

I have to unlock the phone, scroll over to the hub, select text messages.

On the Iphone 5, the text jut pops up on the main screen..locked or not.

Is there a setting somewhere??

Cheers
    03-15-13 04:12 PM
    Hmm for a message company (BB) they sure make the steps involved to get to the information unnecessarily slow.

Think this Z10 is going back.

Back to Iphone 5......
    I'm not sure why you'd accept having your messages exposed like that, but if security isn't an issue for you then you'll probably be happier with the iPhone.

Posted using my Z10 and the CB10 app
    03-15-13 04:29 PM
    I found that feature on my iphone over rated anyways. For example, if its not a short text, it usually doesn't show the whole message so you would have go into your msgs app regardless to answer/ read the full text. Second if you weren't quick enough the message would disappear and you would have to go into the msgs app once again. It depends on what you like, For me I like the notification light on my Z10, since it only goes away if I've actually addressed the message/email/etc. Whatever floats your boat
    03-15-13 04:57 PM
    I found that feature on my iphone over rated anyways. For example, if its not a short text, it usually doesn't show the whole message so you would have go into your msgs app regardless to answer/ read the full text. Second if you weren't quick enough the message would disappear and you would have to go into the msgs app once again. It depends on what you like, For me I like the notification light on my Z10, since it only goes away if I've actually addressed the message/email/etc. Whatever floats your boat
    That's odd, I seem to remember when I woke the phone the message pop-up was still there. Now if I had more than one text, different story.
    Overall, I enjoyed the pop-up feature when I had iphone... until a nose co-worker peaked at a message from my fiance. Wasn't anything too personal, but I don't like people nosing into my business. I can see where people would enjoy the feature, but I don't think I'd even download this french toast thing you're speaking of, in fear that I'd leave it on when I want it off. God knows how often I forget to put my phone on silent.

Someone mentioned the flash would blink for iphones as a text indicator. Neat, didn't know that. Was that a work around BB's led patent?.
    03-15-13 05:04 PM
    Just switched over from a Iphone 5 to a Z10.....

Now am I missing something - for text messages/notifications......I get a flashing led and beep but the text message is not shown on the default screen.

I have to unlock the phone, scroll over to the hub, select text messages.

On the Iphone 5, the text jut pops up on the main screen..locked or not.

Is there a setting somewhere??

Cheers
    What you're missing is that anyone can pick up an iPhone and read your personal messages.
    03-15-13 05:04 PM
    Do not bother replying to this thread he's a Troll! Look back through his posts and you will not see one positive post about BlackBerry. You will however see lots glorifying the iPhone and how he's short selling BlackBerry shares. Its just not worth giving these people the time of day.
    Yes because you know all....

Yes I shorted my rim because I lost a "xhit" load of money in my first run - made a little back in my second run.

But who cares - nothing to do with my question. I still have my iphone5 and I still have the z10.

Either way - I do not have to justify my question to you or anyone.

Everyone else - thanks for the responses... I guess it's a bit of getting use too when coming from an iPhone os.

Cheers
    03-16-13 07:00 AM
    What you're missing is that anyone can pick up an iPhone and read your personal messages.
    To be fair, the iP5 let's you choose to turn the notifications off. It really is no big deal. I preferred the LED light on the Torch I used for 2 years, but I kinda like being able to glance down and just see whether or not I am going to ignore the message with my iP5. Additionally, my wife will never send me messages that are too personal or private...while I am at work anyway ;-). I think if a person wants to they can make either phone work well for their situation.

I am still itching to try the Z10 though. It really does look innovative to me.
    03-16-13 07:48 AM
    Hmm for a message company (BB) they sure make the steps involved to get to the information unnecessarily slow.

Back to Iphone 5......
    Funny. It's one of the reason I refused to own the iPhone although pretty much every other gadget I have are from Apple. I hate the lack of privacy.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:51 AM
    You have the option to turn the notification off. Am I missing something??-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363438475.803602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    richardat likes this.
    03-16-13 07:54 AM
    You have the option to turn the notification off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363438475.803602.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	141657

Only from the iPhone 5, surely. After a few generations.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nope, this isn't true at all.

richardat likes this.
    03-16-13 08:00 AM
    Funny. It's one of the reason I refused to own the iPhone although pretty much every other gadget I have are from Apple. I hate the lack of privacy.

Posted via CB10
    As a couple of others mentioned in the thread. Notifications can easily be turned off on iOS. I own an iPad. Unless the message is very long, no one would know what it actually says unless they unlocked it.

I think the OP was talking about having the option of 'choice'.

And if I'm worried about someone seeing my messages while I'm at home...

Then I think I might have bigger problems...
    03-16-13 10:42 AM
    To be frank, I have the (admittedly bad) habit to read load and clear each and every message I can read on my friends iPhones locked screen.
    They do know now how to disable it.

But, really, each one can choose how/if he wants to be exposed or not ... So I hope your ip5 will suit you best.
    03-16-13 10:52 AM
    To be fair, the iP5 let's you choose to turn the notifications off. It really is no big deal. I preferred the LED light on the Torch I used for 2 years, but I kinda like being able to glance down and just see whether or not I am going to ignore the message with my iP5. Additionally, my wife will never send me messages that are too personal or private...while I am at work anyway ;-). I think if a person wants to they can make either phone work well for their situation.

I am still itching to try the Z10 though. It really does look innovative to me.
    In a business situation, the simple fact to display the sender identity can result in massive damages ... it's not only about personal or intimate msg.
    03-16-13 10:55 AM
    In a business situation, the simple fact to display the sender identity can result in massive damages ... it's not only about personal or intimate msg.
    That's why you have the option of turning the notification off.

richardat likes this.
    03-16-13 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think that's been there since iOS 5. Though most non-power user iPhone owners I encounter seem to just leave their notifications on the default setting.
    03-16-13 10:59 AM
    Got it. Since iOS 3. So the earlier models really didn't have it and the idea had been stuck in my head.

iPhone Text Message Privacy: How to Turn off SMS Preview | Apple iPhone Review
    03-16-13 11:02 AM
    And if I'm worried about someone seeing my messages while I'm at home...

Then I think I might have bigger problems...
    Agree. But I wasn't referring to being at home ... just in general.
    03-16-13 11:04 AM
    Although i would never use that feature if it will be implemented now or in the future, it is good to have options. Makes it easier for some people to switch over.

On the other hand, it seems like the Cinnamon Toast project has gone stale, but French Toast seems like it's still coming. However, I don't know if the article speaks the truth.
    BlackBerry 10 "Cinnamon Toast" Has Gone Stale - N4BB
    03-16-13 11:04 AM
    Thanks for bringing up Cinnamon Toast and French Toast. Make me hungry ... LOL!

I sure hope if BB wants to implement French Toast in its new OS update or versions, to consider that people like me don't want the alerts all over my sleek Z10 screen. So yeah, give me the option to disable. I like the subtety of coloured LED lights. Thanks!
    03-16-13 11:10 AM

Back to Iphone 5......

Cya

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 11:36 AM
122 12345