The fixes mentioned here are ludicrous. We shouldn't have to delete, format and copy, use mp3tag, export cover art as a folder.jpg or side load an app. Mp3 is a very robust and mature file format. Why the programmers at BlackBerry wouldn't utilize the data within the file is beyond me.
    Using Mp3tag on desktop is a good idea, using it on mobile is a logical extension. Especially if iTunes makes file tags lie back and think of England.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 04:24 PM
    The fixes mentioned here are ludicrous. We shouldn't have to delete, format and copy, use mp3tag, export cover art as a folder.jpg or side load an app. Mp3 is a very robust and mature file format. Why the programmers at BlackBerry wouldn't utilize the data within the file is beyond me.
    It's true. The music player with BB is very lazy with reading album art tags. I do find however, that it is more forgiving when the music files are stored in the top level music folder on the SD Card
    05-26-13 07:30 PM
    Thurask: I have no issue with mp3tag. I use it all the time - that's how I updated my album cover art. I'm just disappointed that BlackBerry Link converts the embedded high quality cover art into low quality folder.jpg files.

If BlackBerry insists on creating folder.jpg files then at least give the user the option to create high quality images. Personaly I see no reason to create folder.jpg when I have cover art embedded in my mp3 file.
    05-27-13 08:30 AM
    Is there any way to organize music in a list the current artwork method is frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 10:06 AM
    z10fido: the way bb1 organizes media files is completely frustrating.

There is no alphabet slider like in Contacts for music or videos. "All Songs" and "By Year" are "Collections" under Playlist.

The Filter option when creating a Playlist is useless. I thought you could filter by year, genre, and so on. Nope. It's a simple letter or word filter. Aye caramba.

It's this lack of consistency that bothers me, especially with things like the alphabet slider.
    05-27-13 10:29 AM
    I've been using my Z10 for music for about 3 months. This issue just started happening to me in the last few days. I've been using Link all along to manage my music and haven't had problems until lately, as mentioned. The problem appears to be in the device OS. I say this because, if I browse to a folder (using BlackBerry file manager) where an album does show artwork, then the icons for the individual music files show the artwork. If I rename the folder.jpg file, the artwork no longer appears on the icons for the music files (and no longer appears in the music player) even after renaming the file back to folder.jpg. If, however, I play my music in Neutron music player, the artwork appears with all of my music - no problem (my guess is that Neutron maintains its own music database / index for artwork because it is not affected if I rename the folder.jpg file).

I thought that this was a 10.1 issues, because it appeared some time after installing 10.1, but looking at other posts, this doesn't seem to be the case.
    05-30-13 06:12 PM
    I did not have album art until I installed 10.1.0.2xxx series.

Posted from the Amazon on my Z10
    05-30-13 06:22 PM
    This is how I fixed MY album art problem....I noticed that whenever more than one artist had the same album name, something common like "Greatest Hits" they would all sync with the same album artwork, regardless of the different artist names. How I fixed it was to manually change the album name in iTunes to include the artist name. For example, Tom Petty has a "Greatest Hits" album and I changed the album name to be "Tom Petty Greatest Hits". That solved all my album artwork problems.
    I learned a long time ago it's never a good idea to have many artistes with similar named albums. I always name my albums;

The Beatles Greatest Hits
    Led Zeppelin Greatest Hits
    etc,

or
    The Essential 'Beatles'
    The Essential 'Led Zeppelin'

or
    Best of The Beatles
    Best of Led Zeppelin

etc...
    05-30-13 06:39 PM
    How do I transfer album art from iTunes to Z10 without using BB Link? I have a centralized mp3 folder (all files are in Music folder in windows, so what I am going to do is to copy everything from that folder to my media card instead of using BB Link)

Also, how do I tell BB Link to transfer mp3 to the SD card instead of Z10? I want to redo my sister Z10 and try to have all media files on her card instead of Z10.

And how do I make sure that BB Link transfer all iTunes music 100% complete? I notice that BB Link music transfer is done very poorly when transferring files from iTunes to BB as it's NOT 100% completed from the status in the BB Link (as I did it with my sister's Z10, the mp3 are transferred to her Z10 instead of to her media card. To her credit though, her mp3s are everywhere in the computer, it's not centralized, and I am tired chasing around her mp3s in her laptop, but doing it via BB Link, it's not 100% completed).

Thanks.
    05-30-13 06:47 PM
    Lets not pretend, face it Blackberry's music player needs work. It's buggy, album art is especially buggy. There's no EQ. It's not as good a iPhone's music player for people who have a massive music collection because when you select Genres you're hit with a long line of albums showing all songs, instead of a list of artists in that genre (which iPhone does right)

What's really sad is that making a music player is an easy thing to do. Blackberry could easily have an outstanding music player for serious audiophiles (with a serious EQ system) which blows away the music player on iPhone which is for simple minded teens. But Blackberry doesn't seem to think the music player is important enough, it's just an add on for them, done in a perfunctory manner.
    05-30-13 06:51 PM
    How do I transfer album art from iTunes to Z10 without using BB Link? I have a centralized mp3 folder (all files are in Music folder in windows, so what I am going to do is to copy everything from that folder to my media card instead of using BB Link)

Also, how do I tell BB Link to transfer mp3 to the SD card instead of Z10? I want to redo my sister Z10 and try to have all media files on her card instead of Z10.

And how do I make sure that BB Link transfer all iTunes music 100% complete? I notice that BB Link music transfer is done very poorly when transferring files from iTunes to BB as it's NOT 100% completed from the status in the BB Link (as I did it with my sister's Z10, the mp3 are transferred to her Z10 instead of to her media card. To her credit though, her mp3s are everywhere in the computer, it's not centralized, and I am tired chasing around her mp3s in her laptop, but doing it via BB Link, it's not 100% completed).

Thanks.
    I would personally just manually transfer the folder of music from your computer to the sd card. ( click and drag ). It will be the easiest way

Also itunes is really horrible about messing up mp3 idtags so I have no idea if it will show album artwork

That being said I transfered all my music to my sd card and popped it in my z10 and it all displayed fine.

But I don't use itunes, I just manually sort/name/etc my music into folders Music > artist > Album > song
    05-30-13 07:34 PM
    I finally was eligible for a phone upgrade and upgraded from the BB Torch to the Z10. The first thing I did was install a 64GB SD card so I could load up tons of photos and music. I had a lot of my music on itunes as I was using my work phone (iphone 4s) as my music player. It was quite a task to transfer the music from itunes to my Z10 but by showing the steps here, I hope it will help someone else out.

1. Find the folder with all of your itunes music. Typically it will be in "C:\Users\'username'\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music".
    2. Plug your BB into the PC.
    3. Assuming you are using an SD card, locate the SD card within "My Computer (in XP)", or "Computer (W7)" and then look for the folder called "music".
    4. Select all of the folders within "music" within itunes, and paste them into the "music" folder on your BB.

That is the easy part. I'm a bit anal so I did the following steps as well.

5. I made sure that all of the folder-names were only the name of the artist who's music was in them. For artists who have multiple albums, see below.
    6. Next I went through each album folder and made sure each song title was correct and that there was a file called "folder.jpg". This is the album art that will show up on your BB screen. If for some reason you do not have a "folder.jpg" file in the folder, you can go to a site like Amazon, search for the song, and a number of pictures of albums will show up. Save the picture you want to the artists folder you are dealing with and wha-la, you have album art.

7. For the artists who have multiple albums, the steps are still the same as an artist with only one album. I made sure that each album was in an individual folder within the artists main folder.

Up to now, even this isn't to bad but what I did next was pretty much insane. Select and album folder. Make sure that these columns show:
    Name, Date Modified, Type, Size, Album, and Contributing artists. Next, select all songs. Then click on properties and then on details.

You want to make sure that the "Contributing artists and the Album Artist are the same. Then make sure the album name is correct. Click apply and there you have it.

Believe me, it is a lot of work but now I have over one thousand songs all neatly sorted and all with album art. It looks and sounds REAL nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Album Art-number-6.jpg  
    06-21-13 07:35 PM
    Believe me, it is a lot of work but now I have over one thousand songs all neatly sorted and all with album art. It looks and sounds REAL nice.
    It shouldn't be that much work to deal with a mature format.
    06-22-13 09:56 AM
    I'm Using MediaMonkey as my media player/ organizer and it did a remarkable job syncing my mp3s with appropriate tags etc. . .the day I decided to us BB Link it all went down hill. . . deleted Link, reformatted my SD card and draged & droped music back with no issues. . .will attempt to use MediaMoneky again to see if it works as well as it did before...
    07-25-13 11:01 AM
39 12