With 10.2 around the corner headless apps will be a reality so would it be possible for a developer to use the proximity sensor in order to create a gesture similar to that of the Samsung Galaxy S4? I love my Z10 but that gimmicky air gesture has impressed me.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 07:36 PM
    Might be possible but will drain more battery cuz it always has to look for these "air gestures".

Posted via CB10
    ruhban and zeratul65535 like this.
    06-08-13 08:08 PM
    My friend just purchased the s4 (much to my chagrin) so i got to see up close and personal what all the hubub is about.

point 1 - you look like a crazy person waving your hand at your device trying to illicit the correct response (because it definately doesnt seem to work all the time)
    point 2 - nodding your head to move up and down on a webpage makes you look equally silly.

I thought the motions were cool as well until i had a chance to use them in real life and realized there is NO POINT to them other than to provide shiny marketing material for samsung.

but to answer your question, yes im sure it would be possible for a dev to use the front facing camera to accomplish the same thing. But before you get too excited about this go and actually try an S4 out. Much better in theory than in practise IMO.
    06-08-13 08:08 PM
    With 10.2 around the corner headless apps will be a reality so would it be possible for a developer to use the proximity sensor in order to create a gesture similar to that of the Samsung Galaxy S4? I love my Z10 but that gimmicky air gesture has impressed me.

Posted via CB10
    are you asking for them to get sued again? lol
    06-08-13 08:12 PM
    My friend just purchased the s4 (much to my chagrin) so i got to see up close and personal what all the hubub is about.

point 1 - you look like a crazy person waving your hand at your device trying to illicit the correct response (because it definately doesnt seem to work all the time)
    point 2 - nodding your head to move up and down on a webpage makes you look equally silly.

I thought the motions were cool as well until i had a chance to use them in real life and realized there is NO POINT to them other than to provide shiny marketing material for samsung.

but to answer your question, yes im sure it would be possible for a dev to use the front facing camera to accomplish the same thing. But before you get too excited about this go and actually try an S4 out. Much better in theory than in practise IMO.
    hahahaha I never even thought about that. i would die laughing if i saw someone nodding around
    06-08-13 08:14 PM
    Would be cool if you could do a gesture from across the room while plugged in to hdmi

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 08:17 PM
    Might be possible but will drain more battery cuz it always has to look for these "air gestures".

Posted via CB10
    With the ability to turn them off of course

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 08:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    The app Cooklet has a air gesture feature to turn pages in the PLAYBOOK. It works too!
    VR6 and ruhban like this.
    06-08-13 08:59 PM

I have tried it on an S4, in fact my mum just bought one yesterday (I tried selling her the Q10 but she had her heart set on an S4 although it was the saleswoman who swayed her). I think the air gesture works ok but I'd only ever do it when I'm alone... So no-one would see me LOL! I can't remember the reason why I suggested it but it was a good one. I'll post my idea when I do remember. The nodding only works when the user is in lots of lighting which makes it pretty useless here in the UK where most of the time we have no sun - it makes the user look stupid - but the air gesture works nonetheless.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:03 PM
    Would be cool if you could do a gesture from across the room while plugged in to hdmi

Posted via CB10
    That's more Xbox Kinect territory. I doubt that'd work on a front facing camera - the resolution is too low isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:05 PM
    are you asking for them to get sued again? lol
    BlackBerry's never been sued have they?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:06 PM
    The app Cooklet has a air gesture feature to turn pages in the PLAYBOOK. It works too!
    So it IS possible then! Someone should make that app then! #INeedToLearnCode

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:08 PM
    Neutron Music Player can use air gestures to pause and skip tracks (next and previous).

So, any app can on the Z10 can use air gestures if they want.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    For sure, they have been sued a lot actually. Patent trolls, other companies hoping for a quick payday, you name it. Been sued by Visto, Motorola, Eatoni, and Mformation to my knowledge.
    06-08-13 09:18 PM
    Air gestures would come in handy when I eat my chicken wings. Wouldn't want the phone all greasy the next day.

Posted via CB10 & Z10 abuser
    Omnitech likes this.
    06-08-13 09:29 PM
    This guy does a good job of reviewing the extra features.
    http://notanalog.com/post/5217084165...laxy-s4-review

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    06-08-13 09:29 PM
    For sure, they have been sued a lot actually. Patent trolls, other companies hoping for a quick payday, you name it. Been sued by Visto, Motorola, Eatoni, and Mformation to my knowledge.
    And that's just the beginning.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    06-08-13 09:30 PM
    Never dismiss new technology as it can only be the beginning of great new things

Posted via
    06-08-13 09:37 PM
    Samsung s4 has a lot of nice features. Also many gimmicky ones. But people talk about them and are eager to show everyone all this tech. That helps sales. And how easy they are to use. You can throw a Samsung or iPhone at old and young and they pick it up so quick. I showed my z10 to my dad and my wife's uncle and they both seemed so lost. Didn't know what to show them that was cool as nothing I could say would have dazzled them

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 09:43 PM
    Ehhhh, I don't know. It may lead to things, who knows. But at this point it's way more marketing than function. Go try it out at the store, haha
    06-08-13 09:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not that I heard of. Nope. It was always Samsung being sued.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:02 PM
    Didn't bbry lose to Nokia or motorola last year and they have a settlement based on how many phones were sold?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:04 PM
    One area where air gestures might be useful is when driving. It's always tricky to use the touchscreen when the phone is on a car mount. A cleverly designed UI might help in navigation, calling, music apps.
    VR6 likes this.
    06-08-13 10:14 PM
    Air gestures are just plain stupid in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the s4 is an AMAZING piece of tech, but i do not enjoy the gestures at all. As useless as 3d is on a 3ds or on phones.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    06-08-13 10:22 PM

This is the future of course being a bb fanboy with blinders on that you are you wouldn't know as you are still stuck on kb.
    06-08-13 10:26 PM
39 12