Hey guys. I was on vacation, far from home, when I received the notification that MR1 was available on my fido (rogers) stl3. I was anxious to update my Z10 but had to do a backup (had to be patient because it is important ... need to wait to back home. Passing time I was reading forums. Learned that some people having problem with the update. Then I've realized that there is one word with this QNX based phone : be PATIENT.

I've read that some people had problem, loosing sms, phone unstable or bricked, etc. Then comeback home, did a backup with BB Link, and clicked Update with some fear. After the 2 steps download my Z10 rebooted. Sticked almost 10 minutes on the Blackberry splash screen (blackberry letters... not the boot screen). I fighted a lot to not long push the power button or do a battery pull because I did not read about this issue in the forums...

I must admit that I did the update outdoors at full summer sun, maybe not a good idea?!! I've put something to hide the phone from sun. After long minutes my zed go out of the splash screen and boot up to 100% for almost 5 minutes (I've read that can take hours) then another 5 for the hub to show up. No sms or other loss, just have to enter password for my google account permission as everyone I guess. The MR 10.1.0.4181 run smooth for me. Much better then the .273 that was often lagging. Album art in music player (that I love) that I've lost for any reason before are now restored.

Then my advice : LET your QNX based phone do what it has to do. I do not want to imagine what have happenned if I have forced a reboot while it was updating even on the splash screen... They could add a warning about that but it's not the case for now. be Patient and everything should be ok. By the way I always run official firmwares with some side loaded apps. From now I can't tell if it's consuming more or less power but I'm lucky, owning bunch of micro usb cables

A phone that you don't use won't discharge a lot! Love my Z10. Bought it for it's multitasking capabilities. Link is not perfect. BB10 not perfect. Update process not perfect. Apple and Android are not too. But the response time of this device is incredible.

I have also noticed that the battery level was much lower after the update. From 90 before to 40% (usb plugged to computer). It need lot of juice.

Hope you a smooth update.
    Tom
    07-31-13 06:58 PM
    It shouldnt be happening like this though. An OTA upgrade should take maybe 30 minutes but i am hearing stories of over an hour. BB needs to fix this type of issue.
    07-31-13 07:14 PM
    This is ridiculous!!!! I upgraded OTA and waited and waited for more than 2 hours. I confess I did a battery pull and a couple of reboots. After hitting the forums, they say that a 5 minute battery pull may allow to normally reboot. In this case it did the trick, but guess what? NO HUB. It did show the 118 MB 10.1 MR upgrade as available again... I did, the OTA download and I'm stuck at the 100% screen again. This time I'm going to give it 6 hours to be on the safe side... BUT a QNX (rock solid OS) should provide a warning, chronometer or some kinf of visual indication for a clear indication of what to do or what not to do in a case like this. DAMN YOU BLACKBERRY!!!!!!!!! One wants to push for you and support you but you make it so difficult to remain loyal...

Z10 STL100-1
    Claro Dominican Republic
    Last edited by Gugui1969; 09-01-13 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Forgot some info...
    09-01-13 12:42 PM