What's the deal with most apps wanting access to your phone? Pin, passwords, music, pictures ect... I cannot accept and always decline

Posted via CB10
    CLS42 likes this.
    06-12-13 08:13 PM
    Isn't it our job to entertain the NSA?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:18 PM
    T-Mobile app worked before 10.1, but now I need to give them access to everything, weird

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:20 PM
    I always decline

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:41 PM
    Email the developer and ask them. I'm sure they'll send you a detailed response.
    SDTRMG and John Pawling like this.
    06-12-13 08:46 PM
    Lazy code writers; some apps legitimately need certain permissions, e.g., CB app needs camera permissions to post pictures to the forum

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:53 PM
    Lazy code writers; some apps legitimately need certain permissions, e.g., CB app needs camera permissions to post pictures to the forum

Posted via CB10
    Technically it needs "Shared Files" access, but we get your point.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-12-13 08:57 PM
    As much as it bugs me, It's not that big of a deal, developers are not aloud to do anything with any information they get. My Ios devices don't even ask for permissions and my android can ask and get a lot more.

A Lot of these apps need certain things to run, to store your information or game Dat on a back up server. If you don't feel comfortable with the permissions email the developer and ask why he needs them.

Posted via CB10
    Lendo likes this.
    06-12-13 08:58 PM
    Technically it needs "Shared Files" access, but we get your point.
    Yeah - you are correct lol. (i didnt go back and look at the specific setting) I always wondered why my pictures wouldn't post from the app. Many devs just set access for blanket permissions. I always decline permissions and then reset them as needed if a particular app doesn't function as expected.

Posted via CB10
    Lendo likes this.
    06-12-13 09:23 PM
    Yeah - you are correct lol. (i didnt go back and look at the specific setting) I always wondered why my pictures wouldn't post from the app. Many devs just set access for blanket permissions. I always decline permissions and then reset them as needed if a particular app doesn't function as expected.

Posted via CB10
    I only remember because it was discussed in another thread.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    06-12-13 09:27 PM
    I always decline

Posted via CB10
    I have done the same. Then the app doesn't run. So I end up going back and un installing it.
    My hat is off to the quality developers that add an explanation to their appworld description explaining why they ask for certain permissions.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:34 AM
    You might have missed this blog article posted a while ago.

Explaining BlackBerry 10 Application Permissions | CrackBerry.com
    06-13-13 10:45 AM
    I always accept unless for BBM. I'm not paranoid in any sense and it doesn't bother me. Most of the time the permissions are legit. If you think about some permissions and what the app in question does it's pretty logical for the most part that it needs the permissions it asks for.

I'm an accepter. But I'm not ignorant.
    06-13-13 10:53 AM
    OP, you should accept if you are a conspiracy theorist and like to live dangerously. If you are not a conspiracy theorist, then you will accept without a second thought .

As a previous poster linked, there's a great article on this issue in Crackberry.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    06-13-13 10:58 AM
    That is a very good article and explains it well.
    If it is a true BB app I am not really worried and will give it permission. Then go back and tweak them if I think it's necessary.

My concern though are Android ports. Should I be as free with permissions for those? For instance, say there is an app advertised that has no sharing features or any need need for Internet or contacts access. Yet it needs them to run. Those are the ones I go back and uninstall.

I guess my question is, are Android ports as secure as true developed for BlackBerry apps? If this has been addressed somewhere else I've missed it.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 11:36 AM