Just a quick note. I've read on Rogers.com reviews that if you don't format your microSD card in the Z10 first before using it, it apparently drains the battery quickly.
    If this is the issue, should removing the MIcroSD card fix this? I pulled mine and saw no improvement, but I never have formatted it and its in there now. I could try again, since I reinstalled the OS since my initial test.
    02-26-13 04:58 AM
    So... I installed leaked10.0.10.261. Today from the morning I disabled 3G. I have still connecteg bluetooth earphone, and most of the day wifi turned on. After 6 hours I've got 50% left. That is really step forward. Hope, after a few days gonna be better. Z10 stays with me
    coldsword likes this.
    02-26-13 06:12 AM
    I was having short lifespan issues to with the battery but then I read here to turn the phone off when charging and/or delete all active frames. I did that and now it charges up much faster and I get a full charge.....(I used to leave it plugged in on standby for hours and the yellow bolt would still be going). Anyway since I started doing this my battery lasts all day and I am in real estate so I use it a lot for messaging and email. One note though when I am at the office I only message with it as calls are made on my office phone which may not be helpful depending on your situation.
    02-26-13 06:47 AM
    I have come to believe that it was my battery itself that was the problem. Due to the 6 hour life cycle I was getting I bought the battery and charger combo pack (which is awesome btw) the battery that came with that lasts over 12 hours with the same settings and same usage. Have had the phone since launch, the new battery since Thursday, so I know it's not a 'wait a week and you'll see an improvement' situation.
    02-26-13 03:55 PM
    I really think where you live and your network provider play a huge role in battery life.

For most of the day if you are in an area where your phone has full reception then battery life will be good. If you have low bars then your phone fights really hard.

For example, today when I went to the gym and had my phone in my locker (no reception) , i came back from my workout I noticed the phone really hot and battery life nearly depleted.

However today I did not go to the gym and ive been running the phone since 7am. It is now almost 6 and I have 35% left. I had nfc data and location on.

I will turn off everything except data tomorrow and see how much I get.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 04:46 PM
    After 6 hours I've got 50% left. That is really step forward.
    Have you configured your work email account to your device?
    02-26-13 04:57 PM
    first 5 days my battery drained withing 4 hour with minimal use, i phoned rogers, bought a new battery, tried all the tricks in the book, turned my display brightness etc etc,

after a full week and proper charging i go full day with pretty heavy use, with wifi on bluetooth on, and display at full brightness Battery life is actually pretty good, not as good as the 9900 but thats to be expected with a large screen. Playing games is the only thing that drains my battery now. Second battery with the charger is a great add on for a z10.
    02-26-13 07:08 PM
    Sounds about right and should be as good as any other phone with same usage pattern abd environment

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 11:46 PM
    I have the same issue... I get around 6 hours of battery since I'm a pretty heavy user. If you don't have your device on full brightness, I'd highly recommend you bringing your phone back to the store you bought it from.
    02-27-13 12:01 AM
    OK. My battery life has taken a nose dive on my Z10 in the past few days. I normally take it off the charger at 6:30am and don't top it up until late afternoon before I head home. Today, I'm down to 30% by 10:00am. That's not what I've been seeing since I got the phone on launch day. Not sure what the reason is for the change. Strange. Will have to keep an eye on it. This thread has cursed me!
    So, the next day things returned to normal for me. Not sure what was up with my battery that one day. Very odd.
    02-27-13 07:16 AM
    I'm convinced that side loading apps is a big cause of many of the battery problems on the Z10. I'm not saying this is the only reason, but how many are having problems and also have side loaded apps? I had similar problem with fast battery drain and think I have narrowed it down to one of the side loaded apps... Still testing though.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 09:01 PM
    how about all these android ports?
    are they good or are they battery drainer?
    02-27-13 09:20 PM
    Bahaha my 9310 lasts over 2 days....*ahem* I'm only teasing.....but it does last over 2days

I'm sure when I get my hands on a Q10....I'll be annoyed because the battery will not last that long.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    02-27-13 09:50 PM
    Bahaha my 9310 lasts over 2 days....*ahem* I'm only teasing.....but it does last over 2days

I'm sure when I get my hands on a Q10....I'll be annoyed because the battery will not last that long.
    i remember back when 2 days would be abysmal, now itd be the holy grail lol
    RussBerry007 and bigbikeguy like this.
    02-27-13 10:28 PM
    What a humbling experience a little bit of knowledge can be.

I've been whining about my Z10 battery drain problem in every thread that deals with the subject. I even returned one device and exchanged it for another in an attemp to find the 'magic battery' that would give me a chance at an 8 hour working day between charges. But no, I still could get only 4.5 to 6 hours before the dreaded 'red battery' warned of impending shut-down; and this with nearly everything shut down and very moderate use.

I was contemplating calling up my carrier and re-activating my trusty ole BB9700 while I put my Z10 away in a drawer until BB came out with a few updates that might possibly solve the problem.

In addition, I was having a relatively minor problem getting my exchange-based business email to shake hands with BB10, but with experimentation I found that my relatively unused gmail account was synching effortlessly. So as a work-around, I auto-forwarded my business emails to gmail in order for them to show up immediately on my Z10.

After a day of enjoying instantly forwarded emails on my Z10, it dawned on me last night that I could uninstall my exchange-based email account from my Z10 as I was getting them anyway via gmail. I did so, finished fully charging the Z10, and went to sleep at about 1:00am this morning with the device in bedside mode.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up to find more than 90% battery remaining on my Z10! Imagine my further surprise as the battery drained down at a very slow rate during the rest of the day. And imagine my utter elation that it is now 8:30pm and my Z10 still has 40% battery left!!! 19.5 hours since I took it off the charger and still 40%... I'm smiling now!

Granted it wasn't a heavy day - a couple of dozen emails plus replies, half a dozen BBM messages, and approximately two hours on the phone... but still - 19.5 hours and 40% left!

Apparently my Z10 was previously searching diligently the entire time for the (faulty) connection with the exchange-based email account that it knew was planted in its guts, and the radio signals it was continuously sending out were causing the battery to heat up and it to lose charge at a very, very fast rate.

I'm now one happy camper now - and definitely looking forward to the world of jaw dropping features that the device is capable of, as well as the many innovations that are definitely coming our way as BB sends us updates on the OS, and the developers send us their apps.

So thanks to the posters on CrackBerry for leading me through the steep learning curve of how devices work, and thanks for all the helpful suggestions from various helpful posters... and somewhere I remember bristling a bit at suggestions from posters that there was nothing wrong with my device - that I had to be doing SOMETHING wrong. Well, it turns out I was... and dang it, does anybody know of anything that can make those crow feathers go down a little easier?
    02-27-13 11:22 PM
    Hi, can you pls elaborate on:

"After a day of enjoying instantly forwarded emails on my Z10, it dawned on me last night that I could uninstall my exchange-based email account from my Z10 as I was getting them anyway via gmail. I did so, finished fully charging the Z10, and went to sleep at about 1:00am this morning with the device in bedside mode."

What is exchange based email? I am on Yahoo and hotmail only, though i may link my work email as well later on (or maybe not). I am buying the phone soon, so i want to implement this.

Also, it is very confusing, but some people here say to discharge the phone, other say not to do it. Which is it? I will also be buying an iphone 5, so i have to do the same with that as well. So discharge the battery completely 2 times, and recharge them to 100% each time? Also, some mentioned to turn off the phone when charging... that can be done, but not all the time, otherwise, can use the alarm or get calls / messages when it is off.
    02-28-13 12:36 AM
    Hi, can you pls elaborate on:

"After a day of enjoying instantly forwarded emails on my Z10, it dawned on me last night that I could uninstall my exchange-based email account from my Z10 as I was getting them anyway via gmail. I did so, finished fully charging the Z10, and went to sleep at about 1:00am this morning with the device in bedside mode."

What is exchange based email? I am on Yahoo and hotmail only, though i may link my work email as well later on (or maybe not). I am buying the phone soon, so i want to implement this.

Also, it is very confusing, but some people here say to discharge the phone, other say not to do it. Which is it? I will also be buying an iphone 5, so i have to do the same with that as well. So discharge the battery completely 2 times, and recharge them to 100% each time? Also, some mentioned to turn off the phone when charging... that can be done, but not all the time, otherwise, can use the alarm or get calls / messages when it is off.
    I'm not the guy to be asking because I'm only becoming familiar with the technical language lately. But wikipedia is a good place to start:

Exchange based email - Microsoft Exchange Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Web based email - Webmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can wade your way through that stuff, you're a good man, but Hotmail, Yahoo mail and Gmail are all web based email systems. I didn't like gmail much at first but now that I've been looking into it I can see that Google has been putting a lot of work into making it very 'synch-able'; that is, you can relatively easily synch Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc. in and out of it. I'm guessing that's why Blackberry is using it as the primary email client for BB10 based devices.

If you go to the BB10 OS Crackberry forum there are some pretty savvy dudes there that you might be able to learn more from than from me.

As far as battery break-in goes, you don't need to 'break in' Lithium Ion batteries... period. But you do have to 'break in' your battery charger sensor so that it can learn what 'no charge' means, as well as what 'full charge' means. It's probably best to do this early in the life of the battery, the earlier the better I guess, but once you've done those two cycles, try not to run the battery right out any more, the life of L-Ion batteries will actually be shortened by completely discharging them. Also, the rate of charging is important in order to avoid heating of the battery, so only use the charger that comes with the device, or one of lower charging rate. But DO NOT use one that has a faster charging rate or over time you will ruin the battery. When they're charged too fast the batteries actually build up layers of chemicals inside, the formation of which is not reversible and the presence of which is not desireable. I wouldn't worry about turning the phone off when it's being charged, although you probably won't get the green LED Full Charge indicator while its on because the device is always trickling a tiny bit of juice away so it sort of gets to 99.99% charge and stays there until you unplug it.

This website goes into extreme detail on batteries and charging, etc. but if you've got an hour to spare it is a VERY educational read - Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Good luck
    02-28-13 01:49 AM
    Hey, thanks. Can you give me more specifics. So the first 2 - 3 times, i use the battery charger, that blackberry will be including, and not charging it in the phone? Should i first be charging it, and if so, how many hours? After charging the battery in the battery charger, i should be putting it in the phone, and runing it the phone till the battery dies? Then charge the battery in the battery charger for how many hours? Then redo this step 1 - 2 more times? Also, as i dont have the Z10 yet, i shouldnt be doing the charging inside the phone right, for the first 2 - 3 times to breack it in? Only in the separate battery charger?

Also, should i be doing a complete discharge once a month to keep things in check, or every two months?

Also, should i be doing the same thing with the iphone 5?
    02-28-13 09:56 AM
    Hey, thanks. Can you give me more specifics. So the first 2 - 3 times, i use the battery charger, that blackberry will be including, and not charging it in the phone? Should i first be charging it, and if so, how many hours? After charging the battery in the battery charger, i should be putting it in the phone, and runing it the phone till the battery dies? Then charge the battery in the battery charger for how many hours? Then redo this step 1 - 2 more times? Also, as i dont have the Z10 yet, i shouldnt be doing the charging inside the phone right, for the first 2 - 3 times to breack it in? Only in the separate battery charger?

Also, should i be doing a complete discharge once a month to keep things in check, or every two months?

Also, should i be doing the same thing with the iphone 5?
    There is no way provided of charging the battery outside the phone, you have to charge it in the phone; and you want to do that so the circuitry can 'learn' the range of charging behaviour. By 'charger' I meant the wall plug transformer and USB cable that Blackberry provides for charging the phone.

When you receive the phone, it will have approximately a 40% charge. I would fully charge it before you do anything else. Then I would set it up and start using it and let it run down to zero, however long that takes. Then I would fully charge it again and use it until it runs down to zero a second time. After fully charging it again, I wouldn't let it run down to zero any more, but I would top it up any time it gets to say 20% or 30%. BTW, you can also plug the USB cable into your computer and charge it that way.

The included charger will give it a full charge in a matter of hours. Don't worry about over-charging it as the phone automatically goes into 'trickle charge' mode when it reaches fully charged.

There is no need to fully discharge monthly. That was for the old school nickel-cadmium batteries. Lithium Ion batteries don't have those problems.

DO NOT use a charger meant for another device except in the case that it has an equal or slower rate of charging than the supplied charger. There is another thread that has close-up photos of chargers showing where to find the charging rate information that is printed right on them. Sorry, you'll have to search for it.

I presume you should be following the same procedure with any modern mobile phone as they all use Lithium Ion batteries.
    Last edited by DAY1000; 02-28-13 at 12:28 PM.
    02-28-13 12:04 PM
    ok thanks alot, I will be doing this, along with the trick of turning off "Use Push if Supported".

A question, did you change the syncing interval for email updates? I want to have it at 5 minutes or instantaneous (vrs every 30 minutes), but still want the battery to last me the day.

Also, you said there is no issue with over charging. I was in the belief originnaly that i had to wait for the battery to be 100%, then an additional 8 hours over charging, for the first 2 times, before discharging to 0%, when teaching the circuitry, but from your post, this wont be necessary, right?

Finally, after the first few days of teaching the charger, do you turn off the phone when charging, or can you leave it in sleep mode?
    02-28-13 01:12 PM
    I do not care what is turned on or off, if you are only geting 4 hours of battery life then there is a problem. You either got something that is in constant use, a bad battery of a hardware problem with your phone.

I would try a new battery first and go from there.
    02-28-13 01:23 PM
    ok thanks alot, I will be doing this, along with the trick of turning off "Use Push if Supported".

A question, did you change the syncing interval for email updates? I want to have it at 5 minutes or instantaneous (vrs every 30 minutes), but still want the battery to last me the day.

Also, you said there is no issue with over charging. I was in the belief originnaly that i had to wait for the battery to be 100%, then an additional 8 hours over charging, for the first 2 times, before discharging to 0%, when teaching the circuitry, but from your post, this wont be necessary, right?

Finally, after the first few days of teaching the charger, do you turn off the phone when charging, or can you leave it in sleep mode?
    I've got my gmail set to synch every 15 minutes, but it comes through instantaneously anyways.

The old concept of email 'push' does not exist on Z10 so that can be disabled.

I haven't heard about the 8 hours of extra charging... maybe...

If you want to charge it until the green LED comes on then the phone needs to be turned off. I don't know if this is necessary or not during the first 2 charges.

Once the initial period is over you can pretty much charge it any way you want. That's what Lithium Ion batteries are known for is being very tolerant of random charging behaviour. Just don't run them right out regularly and don't use a charger that has a faster rate of charging than what is supplied with the phone.

Like any battery, lithium ion batteries have a limited life span. You'll begin to notice it runnig out faster as time goes on. After about 3 years you'll probably have to replace it, maybe sooner.
    02-28-13 01:47 PM
    I had the same problem with my battery. I would unplug at 6am and be at 55% by 9am and dead by 11am. Thought it was the phone... got a replacement - got rid of the BB Flip Cover - heard something about the magnet causing battery drain. Still no luck with the new one phone... I decided to wipe the phone for the 3rd time and NOT install any apps just my work email and outlook calendar since it's a work phone. Voila Fixed!!! Unplugged at 8am now 1pm at 90%!!! I figured it was one of the Apps I downloaded causing a battery leak. I haven't even logged on to BB Link. So I will put one app on at a time, leave it for a day to figure out which one is causing this problem.
    03-01-13 12:02 PM
    So what is everyone's battery life with the latest BB z10 patch?
    03-01-13 12:32 PM
    Better battery life even with push mode for e-mails ?
    03-01-13 01:28 PM
75 123