*Let me preface this by saying I just want to lay it all out on the table- you may take it with a grain of salt, or feel free to comment!*

I have been a very loyal blackberry customer since 2007- I've had their curves, bolds, and torches, and I currently own the Torch 9810. Blackberry has been a fantastic company, and I've always loved owning a blackberry. I was EXTREMELY excited when I found out that they were releasing a new operating system as well as two phones, so, on the 22nd, when AT&T released the Z10, I went and bought it outright so that I could play around with the OS. Man on man, can I say how brilliant Blackberry has done with their new line of phones. The Z10 is sleek, sexy, quick, and unlike anything out there. I played around with it for quite some time, and the following are things that I've thought about it:

Good things/good features/wow effect:
    - huge, bright, and wonderful screen
    - quick interface and smooth OS
    - loved being able to access the camera without having to go into the phone
    - THE CAMERA!! WOW As all BB users can tell you, it is 100fold better; it's quick, it takes crisp and clear pictures, and comes with image enhancements, it's easy to use, and there are so many options within the camera application.
    - I was able to transfer my texts, calender, contacts, and memos from OS7 to OS10
    - I love being able to see my calender events on the 'lock screen'
    - the HUB is quite a cool feature that consolidates many things
    - call quality is great!
    - the virtual keyboard is the best out there
    - the 'sleep mode' screen is really awesome- the one that shows the clock, and alarm settings
    - cool little features like when you want to power off the phone, and it prompts you to hold down the power button for 3 seconds
    - NOT HAVING TO DO A BAT PULL EVERY TIME YOU DOWNLOADED A NEW APP!
    - being able to folder up items on the home screen
    - media sharing!!! connecting to a TV or PC or other DLNA supported devices
    *this list isn't a fully extensive list, but these are the things I could think of right away*

concerns/not so good things/problems/things I actually miss from OS7:
    - Physical keyboard (YES, I know- the Q10 will be coming out soon... anyone know an official AT&T date???)
    - back button and trackball/pad (that was blackberry classic!!)
    - being able to determine how long the vibrate for text/bbm/emails/phone calls/etc
    - APPS, APPS, APPS.... I just don't understand why so many apps from OS7 aren't there!! (BBuzz, Skype, Point, Shazam, Google Maps [not the blackberry version, but the regular google maps], and BBVA Compass Bank mobile banking were the ones that I HAD, but no longer would have on the Z10) <-- when developers ask what apps people want, well... simple.. GO LOOK AT WHAT iPhone IS DOING!
    - facebook SUCKS on the new OS, and, well, it sucked on OS7 too, which is why I only used the 'mobile site'... now the BB10 mobile site sucks!! :/// I've only been able to check facebook from my computer except when I get updates!
    - ACTIVE FRAMES!! WTF is that??? I had to purchase an LED/vibrate notifications app, but it only works if it's running in the active frames........ hate that... with a passion
    - phone contacts and facebook contacts are merged and i hate that too!!! Ive tried all different ways to no avail to get that option off
    - text messages, BBM, contacts, and 'reminders' lag
    - the HUB and having everything consolidated... not a fan of that at all. I want email with email, texts with texts, and facebook with facebook. Maybe I'm paranoid, but consolidation scares me
    - battery life is NOT very good, even though they tout the battery being the biggest yet
    - I miss the way photos were categorized with BB7, and the whole media application was better on 7
    - what happened to voice notes and voice notes recorder??
    - I wish the 'memo pad' was back instead of it being called 'reminders' on BB10
    - I feel like BB7 was just easier to use then BB10
    - gestures, albeit being an awesome feature, is really hard to get used to. I want the back button and trackpad back!! made life SO much easier
    *this too isn't a fully extensive list, BUT, because of most of these things, I am returning the Z10 tomorrow.*

I wish Blackberry would contact me and talk with me about the good/bad/neg/pos things about the new Z10!! There are some amazing updates and features, but I feel BB may have overreached a bit on a few things.

Phew! I just needed to vent and get all of that out there.

Let me end by saying that Blackberry has surly come around and made a dramatic turn around in the way they build phones. The phone itself is amazing, and there are great things about it. Unfortunately, MY cons have outweighed the pros right now- I just hope things get even better. BLACKBERRY- CONTACT ME AND TALK WITH ME....

Until next time, I hope you BBers have a fantastic week!!
    Last edited by johnroberti; 03-26-13 at 12:43 AM.
    03-25-13 12:50 AM
    I say come back in 2 weeks and make a new list. once you get comfortable with the new system, you will forget all about a back button and track pad.
    03-25-13 12:57 AM
    Hey, this is a pretty exhaustive list, and you bring up a lot of great points.

There's a simple reason why all the old apps aren't there: it's a whole new architecture and the old code won't work. Doesn't help that in the US BlackBerry has been in decline, and many developers gave up on the company in the belief that they wouldn't survive to launch the new platform.

As for what the deal is with Active Frames, right now there's no way to run a program in the background without keeping a frame up for it. That will change (so-called "headless" apps are on the roadmap, but a target date hasn't been announced yet), but for now I agree it's irksome. I'm also with you on the Facebook app, unfortunately, but I suspect that's a priority.

BB10 is off to a decent start, but it stands to get a lot better in the next year.
    johnroberti, revtech and ErinnM like this.
    03-25-13 01:07 AM
    I say come back in 2 weeks and make a new list. once you get comfortable with the new system, you will forget all about a back button and track pad.
    that's probably true, but I'm going to return it for now and wait for the Q10 ... I can't even enjoy texting with a non-qwerty phone, even if the virtual keyboard is great haha!
    03-25-13 01:08 AM
    Hey, this is a pretty exhaustive list, and you bring up a lot of great points.

There's a simple reason why all the old apps aren't there: it's a whole new architecture and the old code won't work. Doesn't help that in the US BlackBerry has been in decline, and many developers gave up on the company in the belief that they wouldn't survive to launch the new platform.

As for what the deal is with Active Frames, right now there's no way to run a program in the background without keeping a frame up for it. That will change (so-called "headless" apps are on the roadmap, but a target date hasn't been announced yet), but for now I agree it's irksome. I'm also with you on the Facebook app, unfortunately, but I suspect that's a priority.

BB10 is off to a decent start, but it stands to get a lot better in the next year.
    Thank you for your reply!! I'll have to admit, I was a bit nervous to get replies, just because I know peeps can be pretty demeaning online!

I am definitely intrigued about the 'headless apps'!!! That's a good thing!

Blackberry is definitely off to a good start, and your reply eased my BBanxiety
    03-25-13 01:12 AM
    Oh, and I forgot to add, welcome to CrackBerry!
    03-25-13 01:13 AM
    Thank you for your reply!! I'll have to admit, I was a bit nervous to get replies, just because I know peeps can be pretty demeaning online!

There's a huge difference between trolling and raising concerns in good faith. Your post was definitely among the latter.

I think members here suffer from a little siege mentality. BlackBerry has been in trouble for so long now that bad news rubs people a little raw sometimes. I like BB10 a lot, but I'd be foolish to try to claim it's perfect.
    Hassan Hbk and revtech like this.
    03-25-13 01:17 AM
    Oh, and I forgot to add, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Thanks buddy!!

There's a huge difference between trolling and raising concerns in good faith. Your post was definitely among the latter.

I think members here suffer from a little siege mentality. BlackBerry has been in trouble for so long now that bad news rubs people a little raw sometimes. I like BB10 a lot, but I'd be foolish to try to claim it's perfect.
    I appreciate this ... Bad news freakin' rubs me in alll the wrong places because BB is such a stand alone and unique brand and product! They go against the grain, and have succeed well! (up until SUPERsmartphones entered the world)... now they are back with a vengeance!
    03-25-13 01:20 AM
    that's probably true, but I'm going to return it for now and wait for the Q10 ... I can't even enjoy texting with a non-qwerty phone, even if the virtual keyboard is great haha!
    BB still makes the best physical keyboards as well. Also don't expect the back button or scroll pad on the Q10, they won't be there either. FYI
    03-25-13 07:51 AM
    After having the Z10 for the weekend, and working through some issues, I have to say that my almost-new Nexus 7 seems like last years technology.

Get some more popular apps, give us headless apps, and fix the notifications to be more customizable, and it will be the awesomest.
    johnroberti likes this.
    03-25-13 07:57 AM
    - phone contacts and facebook contacts are merged and i hate that too!!! Ive tried all different ways to no avail to get that option off
    Open up your contacts, swipe down from the top. Click Settings.

There, you can choose how to sort, and what accounts to show in the contacts page. Just turn off FaceBook
    revtech and ima5exypaki like this.
    03-25-13 07:59 AM
    It's just a matter of getting use to change. It's harder for .some of us than others. I am still getting use to the torch, and I have had it for a while. I miss my physical keyboard. About Skype, it was only available on one carrier here in the States, so I don't have.
    03-25-13 08:06 AM

They've released the api to certain developers, such as whatsapp. So I wouldn't say that there's no way, because it's already being done.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    johnroberti likes this.
    03-25-13 08:08 AM
    Honestly though, I think if you take the device on full-time for a few weeks - you'll notice these issues suddenly start to become reduced. I thought active frames were insane too, but they have kind of grown on me. The lack of apps, well, they're fixing that every single day. A lot of the main stuff I need in baked right into the OS (Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, email).

Give it some time
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-25-13 08:15 AM

There, you can choose how to sort, and what accounts to show in the contacts page. Just turn off FaceBook
    Thank you for this. I should have looked under settings but never thought if it. Much better now.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 08:20 AM

hi! Thanks! I tried doing that a couple of times, but it didn't end up working for my phone.
    03-25-13 10:47 AM
    Honestly though, I think if you take the device on full-time for a few weeks - you'll notice these issues suddenly start to become reduced. I thought active frames were insane too, but they have kind of grown on me. The lack of apps, well, they're fixing that every single day. A lot of the main stuff I need in baked right into the OS (Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, email).

Give it some time
    Thanks for your comment! They surely are making the phone better, day by day. I will end up buying a BB10 phone, but for now, I'd like to wait for the Q10, just because I am way more comfortable texting with a physical keyboard.

Any updates on when that release date would be for AT&T??
    03-25-13 10:49 AM
    Thank you for this. I should have looked under settings but never thought if it. Much better now.

Posted via CB10
    it's not much better! those contacts are just hidden, if you compose an email, and start typing names, all your FB contacts will still be there as options.
    johnroberti likes this.
    03-25-13 10:57 AM
    *Let me preface this by saying I just want to lay it all out on the table- you may take it with a grain of salt, or feel free to comment!*

- what happened to voice notes and voice notes recorder??
    Until next time, I hope you BBers have a fantastic week!!
    Go in to Remember app, add a new entry, choose voice note at the bottom of the screen
    03-25-13 11:04 AM
    Go in to Remember app, add a new entry, choose voice note at the bottom of the screen
    Interesting! didn't know about that. But what about my old voice notes? Where are they?
    03-25-13 11:14 AM
    Interesting! didn't know about that. But what about my old voice notes? Where are they?
    They should have moved over to the reminders app as well. Same with memo and such.
    03-25-13 11:16 AM
    it's not much better! those contacts are just hidden, if you compose an email, and start typing names, all your FB contacts will still be there as options.
    I guess I don't understand. If I compose an email and search for a contact, it filters through the contacts and finds the one I want. Or I can scroll down the contact list to find it. None of the others (FB) are there. This is exactly what I wanted.
    03-25-13 11:18 AM

Welcome to Crackberry !

And thank you for at least sticking around and trying out some of the suggestions you are getting. It is so much better than the "I took it back because...." threads that are started by people who don't even want help.

Yes, you may still take the Z10 back, but give it a week or so before deciding. Coming from a full qwerty keyboard to a touchscreen isn't easy. I had the advantage of coming from a 9860 Torch touchscreen, so it wasn't as difficult.
    I do think you will really warm up to the Z10 if you give it some time.
    johnroberti likes this.
    03-25-13 11:28 AM
    We're I to have written an assessment of my Z10 experience on Day 2 (or even Day 7 for that matter) it would have looked pretty similar.

Now though, four weeks into life with BB10, my Z10 and I are getting on famously.

Using BB10 gets easier and as that happens the reasons the OS has been designed as it has become clear.

True I do have one eye on the Q10 and may switch to once again have the physical keyboard I loved but the OS itself is great.

Stick with it a little longer and you may be surprised. I was.

Posted via CB10
    johnroberti likes this.
    03-25-13 11:29 AM
    I guess I don't understand. If I compose an email and search for a contact, it filters through the contacts and finds the one I want. Or I can scroll down the contact list to find it. None of the others (FB) are there. This is exactly what I wanted.
    I have mine filtered out of contacts, but like the previous person mentioned if I go in to compose a new text and Type "tyler", I get 4 different Tyler's from facebook as well as the 2 tyler's in my phone contacts. Very annoying.
    03-25-13 11:37 AM
38 12