1. Ditch android side loads. I've said it since day one. If BlackBerry can't make it on their own accord, they won't make it all. Relying on a competitors app development is a defeatist attitude. If people want android apps, they'll buy an android instead of a BlackBerry (and they are, according to the numbers).

2. Update the OS yesterday. Negotiate with carriers on your terms when, how, and where updates will be pushed. Take control of your product. Leaks will get you nowhere in the balance sheet and income statements.

3. Fire your entire marketing department. Now. Hire a real, proven, no kidding marketing firm to lead the way. Rebrand if you have to. Your product is better than apples, and most definitely better than androids, but their marketing kills yours. Appeal to emotion, not device "Security". "Keep Moving"? Where, backwards?

BlackBerry sucks at these three things. Until they're fixed BlackBerry will die, and I'm beginning to think it may just be in the best interest of the company to do so, for an attractive purchase price, of course. And alas, I'm getting the suspicion that's exactly what BlackBerry leadership wants... is to be bought.

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble and xBURK like this.
    07-06-13 12:54 AM
    Not a tough question, in my mind!

ADVERTISING, ADVERTISING AND ADVERTISING.

Get it?
    07-06-13 01:02 AM
    But not just any advertising. The right kind of advertising.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:13 AM
    Sideload Android is a nice little feature for most of us but not all. Did you mean Android porting though? Like forcing developers to develop native? Many devs will just say no instead of saying Ok alright that shouldn't take much time and we as BB users win even if it's a small win. I agree on the rest though. Need marketing boost. Need carriers to play nice.
    SDTRMG and Bobert_123 like this.
    07-06-13 11:18 AM
    BlackBerry does not have the clout to make any demands on the carriers anymore why do you think BIS was dropped?

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and Bobert_123 like this.
    07-06-13 11:27 AM
    Yes, ported apps. Either make it in this business on your own accord, or die. That's the two options. A business model based on a competitors app platform being a draw to consumers is sure death.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:28 AM
    BlackBerry does not have the clout to make any demands on the carriers anymore why do you think BIS was dropped?

Posted via CB10
    Then they will continue to be slaves to the carriers, and they will die. Don't have clout? Get it. It's really that simple.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:31 AM
    Yes, fire the advertising department. The original BB10 campaign, people on fire, flying carpets, somersaults, neither made existing users proud nor non-users envious. The new Q10 ad fails as well. I concurrently use an iPhone 5: the new Q10 ad, with someone furiously typing a anniversary message to their spouse, would get a yawn from an iOS user, who would just pick up their phone, and use Siri to send the same message to their spouse. Not rocket science. On the other hand, the wifi radio on at least Z10 much better than iOS: show a business meeting with three users, iOS, Q10, Z10, all trying to respond to a mission critical business app, with iOS having trouble connecting, then fixing spelling errors, while Q10 and Z10 reply in 15 seconds and put the devices aside. The intuitive typing feature on Z10 would make iOS users' drool. Most don't even know about it.

Support also is weak, for a new, incomplete OS, in which wireless providers are often clueless as to what's a software/hardware glitch vs a missing feature. I can take my iPhone 5 and meet someone face to face in a few hours, or call Lenovo and get a competent person in Atlanta in < 10 minutes. These experiences blow away the misery of support for BB10, as so well displayed in the BBRY support forums, eg support for sync features with 96 pages and > 10,000 views. How can you not support PERFECT contact/calendar sync for what is supposedly marketed as a mission critical business device, let alone leave users out in the cold when it comes to support. Unbelievable.

Finally, unfortunately, TH has lost too much confidence within investment community (as said in the "Right Stuff", no bucks, no Buck Rogers). One can't trust what comes out of his mouth, a certain asynchrony whether good news or bad. "We're going to sell 10's of millions" of Q10 devices comes off as if it's happening in 3 months, while the earnings report comes off as if Canada has just been invaded and the government toppled: neither statement was as good, or bad, when one considers words, demeanor, and body language. In addition, there is either silence (missing features in BB Link sync) or eerily misleading communications ("18,000 BES10 servers installed!" the day before a disappointing earnings report). The "good" news can't be trusted for significance, and the bad news is either not reported (BB Link) or comes out only when forced, eg at earnings report.
    Bowlegz and xBURK like this.
    07-06-13 11:43 AM
    I agree I really hope that current stock price makes Thorsten move on the 9th if not they are doomed.

Frank Boulbon was the worst decision he made.
    And you are right it's not just him it's the entire team!
    And you are also right about the "keep moving " idea - that won't bring anyone to the platform.

Who ever attends the shareholders meeting next week please raise your voice and let them know what we think!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:51 AM
    I'm beginning to think corporate leadership is positioning itself for an attractive takeover target. There's no other explanation than that to explain some of BlackBerry's weird business decisions. Take porting android apps for example. BlackBerry is screaming at the top of their lungs... "Hey look android, your apps can run on our platform!!!" wink wink...

Either that, or BlackBerry really is dumb enough to think people actually want a BlackBerry device to run android apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:26 PM
    I think they also need to release os updates directly from BlackBerry and not leave it up to the carrier. If I had known that my updates were carrier released I would have never gotten my Z10. Least of all on Verizon.
    1. Ditch android side loads. I've said it since day one. If BlackBerry can't make it on their own accord, they won't make it all. Relying on a competitors app development is a defeatist attitude. If people want android apps, they'll buy an android instead of a BlackBerry (and they are, according to the numbers).

2. Update the OS yesterday. Negotiate with carriers on your terms when, how, and where updates will be pushed. Take control of your product. Leaks will get you nowhere in the balance sheet and income statements.

3. Fire your entire marketing department. Now. Hire a real, proven, no kidding marketing firm to lead the way. Rebrand if you have to. Your product is better than apples, and most definitely better than androids, but their marketing kills yours. Appeal to emotion, not device "Security". "Keep Moving"? Where, backwards?

BlackBerry sucks at these three things. Until they're fixed BlackBerry will die, and I'm beginning to think it may just be in the best interest of the company to do so, for an attractive purchase price, of course. And alas, I'm getting the suspicion that's exactly what BlackBerry leadership wants... is to be bought.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 03:49 PM
    Please add- change 30 day email limit to forever. Please.

-aBBuser
    bbschorsch likes this.
    07-06-13 05:15 PM
    I'm beginning to think corporate leadership is positioning itself for an attractive takeover target. There's no other explanation than that to explain some of BlackBerry's weird business decisions. Take porting android apps for example. BlackBerry is screaming at the top of their lungs... "Hey look android, your apps can run on our platform!!!" wink wink...

Either that, or BlackBerry really is dumb enough to think people actually want a BlackBerry device to run android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Frankly leveraging a competitors open sourced OS is actually kind of genius. Using their own arsenal against them? Com'on it is a good idea.

There would for instance be no Skype if it weren't for the ability to port their existing android app.

From the ZED via CB10.. booyah!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-06-13 05:25 PM
    I think they also need to release os updates directly from BlackBerry and not leave it up to the carrier. If I had known that my updates were carrier released I would have never gotten my Z10. Least of all on Verizon.

I agree that BlackBerry should be releasing the OS updates on their own terms, but they simply don't have the clout.

However, it sounds like maybe you chose the wrong carrier more than the wrong device. This is why I always buy at retail and don't go on contract. Can't supply me with what I need... see ya. Canadians have had the 10.1 update for months now, there is some funky arm wrestling going on in the us for sure. Tug of war between BlackBerry and the carriers.

Ideally I think that BlackBerry could probably update the radio stack separately, and let the carriers test that to their hearts content.. all the while pushing out updates to the rest of the OS at will.. with no need for carrier input.

07-06-13 05:33 PM
    Please add- change 30 day email limit to forever. Please.

-aBBuser
    Coming in 10.1 MR update. Download a leak and get it now...

07-06-13 05:35 PM
    Coming in 10.1 MR update. Download a leak and get it now...

What! Really? Can you please point me in the right direction...I've got the 10.1.0.2016 that was pushed my T mobile.. what version is the (Maintenance Release) leak I need to get?

-aBBuser
    07-06-13 06:18 PM
    Frankly leveraging a competitors open sourced OS is actually kind of genius. Using their own arsenal against them? Com'on it is a good idea.

There would for instance be no Skype if it weren't for the ability to port their existing android app.

How's that android port thing working out for BlackBerry so far? Yeah not so much... bottom line is, either be original, be creative, be innovative with your own ideas, or die. Period.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 07:28 PM
    While I don't agree with side loading. It is helpful for those who must have certain apps and can't wait. And it also allows developers to see what apps people want. Side loading should not be a crutch either where bbry or app makers can sit back and just expect users to do it.

Posted via CB10
    drewread likes this.
    07-06-13 09:14 PM
    How's that android port thing working out for BlackBerry so far? Yeah not so much... bottom line is, either be original, be creative, be innovative with your own ideas, or die. Period.

Posted via CB10
    I don't follow. How's it working out? Developers are bringing out android ports for apps people want as they work on native versions. Not all though, some just want to go the easy route and port the app and then update it accordingly. People are getting more apps this way anyway. What is wrong with that? It is keeping BlackBerry alive. So I'm assuming from your post you just want BlackBerry to die then? I hope I'm wrong.
    drewread likes this.
    07-06-13 09:16 PM
    What! Really? Can you please point me in the right direction...I've got the 10.1.0.2016 that was pushed my T mobile.. what version is the (Maintenance Release) leak I need to get?

-aBBuser
    There is a whole leaked OS section in this forum. And it was a blog post yesterday

07-06-13 09:46 PM
    Well, I've already wasted too much time on dreaming of a BlackBerry coming back. Yes, of course, it's been my own fault. I'm just going to see if this meeting on Tuesday will stir things up. If not, I'm just going to enjoy my z10 and forget about all this. Shame, with the right moves, they could have really been ahead right now. Instead, we have to figure out what the did wrong and argue about it. Just not right. Fire Thor and Fire the Marketing Dept....that would be their only hope right now. (yes, I hope I'm wrong, but chances are, I'm not)
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 07-06-13 at 11:27 PM.
    07-06-13 10:10 PM
    -------------------
    07-06-13 10:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    There are lots of apps that they would not have without it, so it IS working quite well...

Skype being the main one.. they would not have built a native app and you wouldn't have one of the most functional Skype clients out there.

Another that comes to mind is Endomondo... and I'm sure there are many more that would have just bypassed bb10 until it grew... and we can only hope that it grows enough for these dev to be interested in going native with all of the advantages native would deliver...

07-07-13 12:02 PM
    Andriod apps, whether sideload or in the BlackBerry World is brilliant.

My wife is next to me on her q10 reading a book on her kindle app.

Amazon has not even made a kindle version for the q10 so I sideloaded it. Does she care? No it works just fine. She couldn't care less if it is a sideload, official port or native. It is on her phone and it works.

Posted via CB10
    drewread likes this.
    07-07-13 12:16 PM
    Andriod apps, whether sideload or in the BlackBerry World is brilliant.

My wife is next to me on her q10 reading a book on her kindle app.

Amazon has not even made a kindle version for the q10 so I sideloaded it. Does she care? No it works just fine. She couldn't care less if it is a sideload, official port or native. It is on her phone and it works.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.. use your competitors' advantage against them.

07-07-13 12:55 PM
27 12