My ear piece has gone too, I figured it was metal dust that had gotten into my phone, just like every other phone I had own previously. I am a welder so this is a common problem for me. Any other welders in this forum? Haha

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz and cOXu like this.
    05-26-13 05:02 PM
    My ear piece has gone too, I figured it was metal dust that had gotten into my phone, just like every other phone I had own previously. I am a welder so this is a common problem for me. Any other welders in this forum? Haha

Posted via CB10
    You need to get one of those 3 piece covers for your phone to seal it up good. The grinding dust from the abrasives and metal will screw up any phone - or you better familiarize yourself self with how to swap parts in it on your own.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:33 PM
    This is the strangest thing, because my top speaker started crackling intermittently today, only when receiving messages.
    I was actually starting to think it might have had to do with the fact that I had upgraded my OS when it was officially released, since I had noticed sometimes since then that some odd things were happening with my device, which worked flawlessly before.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    Crackling and funny noise coming from my top speaker when my alarm went off now. Was only for a few seconds then I bumped the corner of the phone in my bed by mistake , as in the mattress, was extremely gentle so I don't see how it made any difference but then the sound went back to normal.
    This doesn't seem like a good sign, I really don't want to have to swop out my device, don't even think I could anyway, would probably have to send it for repairs which will take about 2-3 months, our carriers are useless.

Does anyone think there is a possibility this was caused by the update?

05-27-13 01:46 AM
    I have had phone since feb 12th a week after the official Canadian launch. I am in rogers.

I have no issues yet with speaker.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 03:12 AM
    My kids just clicking with force the plug in the phone but after 9 weeks no problem So i think your prob was there all ready in the beginning. O kids are 2 and 5.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 03:24 AM
    New addition to this weird speaker issue.
    I just unlocked my device swiped into the hub and the top speaker made 2 weird popping noises, which were loud compared to normal device sounds. Opened a BBM and then it popped again.
    This is honestly the strangest thing. My device sound seems to be working like normal apart from that. And for the record my volume isn't on full, no vibrate except for calls either.

On a side note, I noticed that crackling speaker tends to happen intermittently when the phone is laying on a surface like a table or something. And oddly enough mostly when I'm getting whatsapp messages

05-28-13 03:09 PM
    Well I just called rogers to get my third Z10. I bought my first one on launch day. It lasted a month and a half before the speaker blew out. They didn't have any refurb ones to send me so they gave me a new one for 35. Now on my second Z10 the speaker is blown out again. I just placed the call for my third one.

Funny thing is I hardly use the phone / ear piece speaker at all. I just text people for the most part. My phone time is less then a hour month usually.
    05-28-13 04:46 PM
    I just went through the same thing. Original phone was bought early February, called Rogers and took the $35 dollar route. They didn't tell me it would be a refurb though. I was a bit pissed considering how new it was. The guy told me the $35 was for the shipping. Now my new phone is better but the sound still isn't great. I think next time I'll replace it myself - maybe the replacements will be better than OE.
    05-28-13 05:51 PM
    Well had to replace the replacement speaker as well - looks like Skype popped it this time - while farting around with Skype the ear speaker volume was full blast and looks like it sent too strong a signal and blew this speaker too. This is a software dificiency issue - not programed properly. It's a good thing I bought extras!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:00 PM
    Just out of curiosity, why would you not just send it out to be fixed or replaced? Maybe it is something else in your phone causing the speakers to be blown?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:03 PM
    Just out of curiosity, why would you not just send it out to be fixed or replaced? Maybe it is something else in your phone causing the speakers to be blown?

Posted via CB10
    Take the time to read the first post that I made which started this thread and 90 percent of your questions will be answered.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 06:36 PM
    The ear piece in my second phone is on the fritz again... weird.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 11:02 AM
    Mine is just about to go also.

Picked up no first day of release in Australia. I will replace myself as I can not afford to go without the phone until it gets fixed.

Anyone recommend a good website to buy piece parts?

only one I could find really...

BlackBerry Z10 Ear Speaker|Front Speaker
    Last edited by Hilton_K; 09-27-13 at 09:19 AM.
    09-27-13 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, metal fab and welding for a decade now. My BlackBerry Storm was the worst with dust and speakers, I had to get a new speaker several times in the 3 years I used it. Now my z10 seems to crackle on the loudest setting (which has always been too low for my taste even on high) so I bumped it down a notch and it went away.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 08:57 PM
    Got my replacement from etradesupply works great, easily changed. Others looked like knock off etradesupply looked like OME to me. Found a US supplier. Wanted $10 for the speaker $5 to ship. Got 5 for 25 from etradesupply.

Posted via CB10
    Hilton_K likes this.
    09-28-13 09:35 AM
    hmmm just went to checkout and some warning came up about the customs fees etc from Hong Kong.

Anyone else seen this?
    Attached Thumbnails 2nd Z10 and EAR SPEAKER FAILURE-etrade-warning.jpg  
    09-30-13 03:02 AM
    Well I have two Z10's and have blown the ear piece speaker on both. Had one fixed and will get the second one done as well when I next return home to the UK. I'm not a welder but test welds for a living but I am sure using one of them in the rain caused the first failure. No idea what caused the second one though.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 03:07 PM
    Speakers ordered.

See how they go when they land late next week.

Posted via CB10
    pepa1 likes this.
    10-03-13 12:50 AM
    What did you do about the customs fee on "etradesupply"? I spoke to a rep today and they said you have a 20-30% chance of getting charged $50 USD.
    10-11-13 09:46 AM
    Never got the customs fee.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 11:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not a welder, but a sheet metal fabricator that works with welders in the shop. Everyone in the shop has the same issue with their phones. I've talked to several people outside of the shop that theorize that the metal dust causes the speaker issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:33 PM
    This thread helps a lot. I was going crazy after finding out my newly bought Z10 had this ear speaker cracking sound problem. I could not get repair from the service provider, since I bought it online. Trying to call Blackberry, but no number is provided on their website, and they don't deal with individual cellphone consumers. No cellphone shop is interested in helping me fix it. Kind of really frustrated.

I initially thought the problem is mechanical and results from the ear speaker, but after trying using the earphone, I noticed the same noise. Therefore I think the problem is caused by something else rather than the ear speaker. If someone has tried to replace the ear speaker and it works, I can safely order the parts for etradesupply and fix it on myself, then everything is fantastic again. Thanks for the information.
    11-17-13 12:13 AM
    Metal dust, welding/high frequencies, and magnets, I believe are speaker killers on a Z10. I've had 8 replacement Z10's in 8 months. Been using BlackBerry for 7 years now. Never had a problem with all my other BlackBerry phones till now. Hope the Z30 is better equipment. I soon will know!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:05 PM
    I've had ear piece issues with every BlackBerry I've had except for the Storm. With that phone, it was the loud speaker I had issues with. Go figure....its far from an exclusively BlackBerry issue though.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:43 PM
61 123