Since day i bought my z10 i have never seen my free ram above 900mb.

Is it with every one here? When a reboot is done it shows 1.3 gb free.

Soon after some time it dips to 740-900 mb range,can anyone guide on this?????

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:43 AM
    It is 2gb ram but the system takes up most of that memory. The rest is available to apps. So you never have more than like 1.2gb free.
    schmeat and ruhban like this.
    06-01-13 08:45 AM
    After a reboot I typically have around 1.2 gb free. That quickly settles to around 900mb free though. Haven't seen it dip much beyond that really.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:48 AM
    OS requires ram too
    06-01-13 08:52 AM
    OP, Do NOT be concerned with free ram with OSX now, it is a UNIX type OS and using all available memory is what it excels at. The memory management is doing exactly as it is needed to. Once it gets low enough it will automatically close down inactive programs and do the appropriate garbage collection.
    06-01-13 08:59 AM
    Start learning how qnx work before complain

Posted via CB10
    ryanza, rthonpm, 00stryder and 1 others like this.
    06-01-13 09:05 AM
    Ok, but it is not a Top Device if the effective ram is similar to Medium Devices. Nope?
    06-01-13 09:05 AM
    Ok, but it is not a Top Device if the effective ram is similar to Medium Devices. Nope?
    What? Not sure I understand what your saying.
    06-01-13 09:06 AM
    No phone today has more than 2gb RAM. And it works the same way on every system. The OS takes the biggest parts of those 2gb so BB is not special in that regard. 2gb RAM is top notch today even though the system uses it as well. The effective RAM for apps is the same on every Anrdoid phone with 2gb RAM.
    06-01-13 09:08 AM
    It is 2gb ram but the system takes up most of that memory. The rest is available to apps. So you never have more than like 1.2gb free.
    Well the apps aren't stored on the RAM like BBOS, but the apps use the RAM when running...I hope that's what you mean
    06-01-13 09:10 AM
    What? Not sure I understand what your saying.
    Sounds to me like he is trying to say it is not a top phone because of the memory usage, so he is one of THOSE guys.

Exactly like was said, OSX is a smart OS that knows how to handle the memory. You want high numbers but garbage performance, there are other platforms that will more than provide that for you.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:11 AM
    Sorry for my bad english, i'm italian.
    I said that top devices as iPhone 5 orGalaxy S3 or S4 have more ram free than Z10.
    So, the price of Z10 is similar to iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy (in Italy for example), but there are a lotsof things in Z10 lower than to the other Top Devices.
    Why?

Ps: do you understand what i want to say? Sorry.
    06-01-13 09:11 AM
    Well the apps aren't stored on the RAM like BBOS, but the apps use the RAM when running...I hope that's what you mean
    Nothing is "stored" on RAM. The system uses it in the same way as apps do.
    06-01-13 09:13 AM
    I said that top devices as iPhone 5 orGalaxy S3 or S4 have more ram free than Z10.
    So, the price of Z10 is similar to iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy (in Italy for example), but there are a lotsof things in Z10 lower than to the other Top Devices.
    Why?

Hey -- I'm Italian/American I understand! Previous to the Z10 I was a long-time Android user and every forum went through the same fear of low ram, no matter how expensive the device. This is because (similar to Z10) the ram is used as needed and then freed for other usage. There's plenty of RAM there and having more, means little.
    06-01-13 09:17 AM
    Hey -- I'm Italian/American I understand! Previous to the Z10 I was a long-time Android user and every forum went through the same fear of low ram, no matter how expensive the device. This is because (similar to Z10) the ram is used as needed and then freed for other usage. There's plenty of RAM there and having more, means little.
    So, now (i've bought Z10 two weeks ago) i don't see slowdowns about ram, but i don't want slowdowns in future. I hope that.
    06-01-13 09:21 AM
    Why?

You are just comparing numbers but your concern should be actual efficiency and performance. 300 hp from a truck is the same 300 hp in a sports car, but that doesn't mean they both utilize that 300 in the same efficiency and performance!

Maybe not the best analogy :-p
    Deu2e, ddlax22 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-01-13 09:22 AM
    My concern is on 700mb levels nothing else, no active frame on, have 2 email accs set on 30 days, whtsapp, fb, twitter & LinkedIn in hub alng with sms & call logs.

Then why 700 mb free against explained 1.2-1.3 gb which it should be?

Is any app spoiling show running in background?

Need advise am not complaining.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    06-01-13 09:26 AM
    It's much like a PC, you can have X amount of RAM, but it doesn't mean the entire amount is available all the time due to things like the OS using a portion of it. The iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 have 1 and 2 GB of RAM respectively and I can guarantee you iOS and Android eat up a chunk of the RAM as well during normal operation.

Since you brought it up, would you actually happen to know how much free RAM those phones you mentioned normally run with?
    06-01-13 09:29 AM
    You are just comparing numbers but your concern should be actual efficiency and performance. 300 hp from a truck is the same 300 hp in a sports car, but that doesn't mean they both utilize that 300 in the same efficiency and performance!

Maybe not the best analogy :-p
    I understand what do you want to express.
    Occasionally i see slowdowns with 2/3 apps in background, while with my brother's iPhone 5 has not slowdowns. Why?
    I hope in a Z10 update with fluid apps. I trust in Blackberry.
    06-01-13 09:30 AM
    So, now (i've bought Z10 two weeks ago) i don't see slowdowns about ram, but i don't want slowdowns in future. I hope that.
    Hi Fabio, I don't think you need to worry about that before you next device upgrade, which is likely to be in two years or three years. RAM are used by OS and the apps that are running, not by the apps not running. It doesn't matter how many apps you install, you are only going to run less than 8 apps at the same time. The 800MB free RAM will be enough for that unless you opened tens of pages in your browser, or you need to run a couple of big apps at the same time.

Even though I doubt any z10 users have tried to exhaust the RAM resource before, I am pretty sure BlackBerry has tested those corner cases and made sure 2GB is enough for any reasonable usage scenarios.
    06-01-13 09:44 AM
    I understand what do you want to express.
    Occasionally i see slowdowns with 2/3 apps in background, while with my brother's iPhone 5 has not slowdowns. Why?
    I hope in a Z10 update with fluid apps. I trust in Blackberry.
    well first, the iphone 5 does not do multitasking... so thats why it have half the RAM on the Z10 (1 GB vs 2 GB). Also, i had seen plenty of time where the iPhone 5 will slow down, it depends on how its used.

RAM is a temporary memory to help the OS do stuff faster. Its like your desk at the office: you pull stuff out of the drawers and put it on the desk so that its easier to find. So its normal that the 2GB is mostly used up... for example, if you open an app often, it will remain in the RAM so that next time it starts up faster.
    Luiserafim likes this.
    06-01-13 09:47 AM
    Here's what I have noticed about my phone. After a fresh start usually open with 1.2 -1.3GB. As I use the phone (and check on the memory) it will slowly decline. So let's sat it gets down to 900MB. I let the phone sit, and when I go to use it again (and check) the memory will usually be back up to 1 - 1.2GB. Honestly, if an OS NEEDS a lot of memory to run, it's inefficient. (My wife and son are in Rome right now while I'm stuck here answering your question!)
    06-01-13 09:52 AM
    Before 10.1 my free ram would sit at 700-ish mb after a reboot. After 10.1 my ram now sits at 500-ish mb so have definitely noticed that my RAM has gone down and its actually starting to make my phone a bit laggy in certain parts of the phone.

Not a huge deal really as the Z10/QNX seems to deal with RAM much more efficiently than previous BB's.
    06-01-13 10:07 AM
    Z10's ram is more than sufficient. Out of curiosity I just launched all 8 active frames with tune in streaming... and opened 15 tabs in the browser. The ram dropped down to approx 200 mbs free and the phone started to lag. At 25 tabs open it simply shut down one of the active frames to free up more memory. I have other issues with my phone but ram is not one of them. Go BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    dannejanne and Bobcat665 like this.
    06-01-13 10:24 AM
    R u waiting for a blackberry charter to take u rome ??? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 10:34 AM
93 123 ...